HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
OK, PCM RX installed

I just got home, installed a buddy's PCM RX. Set the OSD up to PCM/FS. Ran servo wizard. Looked in my menu on the TX and the only FS channel turned on is Throttle. Throttle at idle on the menu on the TX shows 15%. When I run my throttle trim full down, I can't get the OSD to engage FS like I could before when I did this using my DX7.

With the TX off, all of the control surfaces are being held in place.

Any ideas? Even when I turn off the radio the OSD doesn't failsafe.

Thanks so much for your help.
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
I just got home, installed a buddy's PCM RX. Set the OSD up to PCM/FS. Ran servo wizard. Looked in my menu on the TX and the only FS channel turned on is Throttle. Throttle at idle on the menu on the TX shows 15%. When I run my throttle trim full down, I can't get the OSD to engage FS like I could before when I did this using my DX7.

With the TX off, all of the control surfaces are being held in place.

Any ideas? Even when I turn off the radio the OSD doesn't failsafe.

Thanks so much for your help.
Hi,
im not so used with the different futaba transmitters and their menus.
but as far as i remember there is a setting where you can define the throttle cut position for failsafe. there you have to set the lowest possible value.
after this you have to rerun the setup-wizzard in the osd to teach in the throttle value when transmitter is off (failsafe).
after this you can activate a switchable mixer to throttle to get a switchable rth (clarlyle method) or activate rth with the 3pos.switch.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I sort of understand what you mean. On this radio, you move the throttle to a spot, then press and hold a button, it stores and displays that setting in percent. I will try to adjust that.

Setup wizzard? You mean servo analysis wizzard where you go full up, full left, idle, etc?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi,
im not so used with the different futaba transmitters and their menus.
but as far as i remember there is a setting where you can define the throttle cut position for failsafe. there you have to set the lowest possible value.
after this you have to rerun the setup-wizzard in the osd to teach in the throttle value when transmitter is off (failsafe).
after this you can activate a switchable mixer to throttle to get a switchable rth (clarlyle method) or activate rth with the 3pos.switch.

cheers Thomas
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
I sort of understand what you mean. On this radio, you move the throttle to a spot, then press and hold a button, it stores and displays that setting in percent. I will try to adjust that.

Setup wizzard? You mean servo analysis wizzard where you go full up, full left, idle, etc?

Thanks.
hi,

o.k. now i know which procedure this tx needs for setting the failsafe
do you want to use a switch for rth?
program a mix with "full negative" to throttle and combine this mix with a unused switch. check with the servo monitor ... the throttle signal should be significant lower than throttle cut everytime you activate this mix.
reset your failsafe with the mix activated.

or do you want to use the throttle trim?
bring the trim to the lowest position and reset the failsafe. donīt forget to bring the trim back to normal position before doing the wizzard ... failsafe an throttle cut maybe the same value if you forget! in this case rth kicks in every time you stop the motor.

yes, i meant the "servo analysis wizzard".
after setting up the tx you have to rerun this wizzard.

cheers Thomas
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I used the throttle trim when the ET system was connected to my DX7. I figure same way would be best. I will try your directions for that method. I will run throttle trim full down and reset the FS on the radio. I guess that is where I hold that button and the radio notes the position.
Then, I will return trim to normal and rerun the wizzard.

Thanks. I will let you know. Appreciate the help here. I am almost ready to fly. This is my last item besides the range check.

Once this model flies for the first time, I should go back and reset cruise stick positions right?

Quote:
hi,

o.k. now i know which procedure this tx needs for setting the failsafe
do you want to use a switch for rth?
program a mix with "full negative" to throttle and combine this mix with a unused switch. check with the servo monitor ... the throttle signal should be significant lower than throttle cut everytime you activate this mix.
reset your failsafe with the mix activated.

or do you want to use the throttle trim?
bring the trim to the lowest position and reset the failsafe. donīt forget to bring the trim back to normal position before doing the wizzard ... failsafe an throttle cut maybe the same value if you forget! in this case rth kicks in every time you stop the motor.

yes, i meant the "servo analysis wizzard".
after setting up the tx you have to rerun this wizzard.

cheers Thomas
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Thomas,

That seemed to be it!!! I will run the simulator now to be sure.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
hi,
nice you got it

in my opinion itīs easier to do the "reset cruise sticks" on the workbench instead during flight. i never get a plane absolutely horizontally flying while zapping through the menus.

disconnect the motor, lay the plane on the bench or floor, level the wings horizontally and the elevator with the angle of attack (typically 2 - 4°) nose of the elevator down. remember the elevator angle an do a flight test. if the gliding path is to steep (fast) choose a higher angle or vice versa.

cheers Thomas
ps. iīm now off because itīs 1am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Hı ,

I have this error on my ET, I didnt solve it yet. and wanna ask, My osd pro version is 2.54, so is it up-to-date ??

ghostlogger is offline Find More Posts by ghostlogger
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:24 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Is there a way to control 2 servos on the ailerons? Have a condor FPV and would like to keep it that way as i have flaps mixed into the ailerons? Please could someone let me know. Many thanks austin
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws View Post
Is there a way to control 2 servos on the ailerons? Have a condor FPV and would like to keep it that way as i have flaps mixed into the ailerons? Please could someone let me know. Many thanks austin
hi,
yes, there is a way ... iīve got the idea flying a speed model with only one aileron.
iīve done this on my skywalker and it works, but i donīt know your condor. you have to test ....

program the plane and do all the mixing you want in your tx.
connect only one aileron servo to the osd. during the "servo analysis wizzard" make sure that the osd gets only the commands for plain aileron movements.

your flights will be "normal", because all (mixed) signals for aileron will be passed through the osd to the connected servo.
for stabilsation and rth only the connected servo is driven from the osd, but for most planes the movements of one aileron are enough for those small corrections needed for stabilisation and large curves during rth.
depending on the airfoil you may get different reactions to "left" and "right" aileron, but this doesnīt matter ... during rth the main goal is to bring the bird home

cheers Thomas
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
Read the last message on this post of Bills

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8066

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlogger View Post
Hı ,

I have this error on my ET, I didnt solve it yet. and wanna ask, My osd pro version is 2.54, so is it up-to-date ??

m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
RTH problem

Hello
I've just maiden my SW.
I tested RTH in flight. The result is that it work only if the model flying vertical to the home position. If the model is nose in or tail in keeps flying in straight line and it over passes home position going far away. I know that I have to change something with the turn in safety mode menu but I don't know what. Any idea?
set up:
skywalker + ET logger,osd,gps,guardian
no heading lock
thanks
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
Hello
I've just maiden my SW.
I tested RTH in flight. The result is that it work only if the model flying vertical to the home position. If the model is nose in or tail in keeps flying in straight line and it over passes home position going far away. I know that I have to change something with the turn in safety mode menu but I don't know what. Any idea?
set up:
skywalker + ET logger,osd,gps,guardian
no heading lock
thanks
hi,
first thought ... osd connected to the ailerons - not to rudder?
i used those settings on my skywalker, they also fit well to the predator

" RTHTurnIntegralGain="60
" RTHTurnDerivativeGain="60
" RTHTurnProportionalLimit="60
" RTHTurnProportionalGain="75
" RTHPitchProportionalGain="85
" RTHPitchDerivativeGain="60

and

" PitchGainStab="5
" RollGainStab="5
" OverallGainStab="8
" PitchMaxNormalStab="60
" RollMaxNormalStab="60
" PitchMaxSafetyStab="50
" RollMaxSafetyStab="50
" ProportionalStab="0
" DerivativeStab="0
" StabResponsiveness="7
" RTHMinGPSSpeed="30
" HomeRTHAltMode="1
" RTHHomeAltitude="120
" HomeAltRadius="250
" TurnGainStab="5
" StabilizeCenterOnly="1
" CenterStickTolerance="5
" HeadingHold="1

cheers Thomas
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
Quote:
hi,
first thought ... osd connected to the ailerons - not to rudder?
i used those settings on my skywalker, they also fit well to the predator

" RTHTurnIntegralGain="60
" RTHTurnDerivativeGain="60
" RTHTurnProportionalLimit="60
" RTHTurnProportionalGain="75
" RTHPitchProportionalGain="85
" RTHPitchDerivativeGain="60

and

" PitchGainStab="5
" RollGainStab="5
" OverallGainStab="8
" PitchMaxNormalStab="60
" RollMaxNormalStab="60
" PitchMaxSafetyStab="50
" RollMaxSafetyStab="50
" ProportionalStab="0
" DerivativeStab="0
" StabResponsiveness="7
" RTHMinGPSSpeed="30
" HomeRTHAltMode="1
" RTHHomeAltitude="120
" HomeAltRadius="250
" TurnGainStab="5
" StabilizeCenterOnly="1
" CenterStickTolerance="5
" HeadingHold="1

cheers Thomas
quick reply!! thanks
As a matter of fact I have already copied your guardian setting.
I used the RTH setting that I had in my previous SW (without guardian). These setting was working with my previous co-pilot setup.
I remember that I had the same issue in my previous SW and I changed something in RTH settings but I can remember what. Do you know if there any of factor that can solve the problem.
If I don't find the solution I'll also copy your RTH settings.
Thanks
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
quick reply!! thanks
As a matter of fact I have already copied your guardian setting.
I used the RTH setting that I had in my previous SW (without guardian). These setting was working with my previous co-pilot setup.
I remember that I had the same issue in my previous SW and I changed something in RTH settings but I can remember what. Do you know if there any of factor that can solve the problem.
If I don't find the solution I'll also copy your RTH settings.
Thanks
Hi,

if the plane is turning with a poor rate increase the "max stab. roll RTH" first, than adjust with "turn proportional gain".

especially the tuning of rth and tests are well described in the manual. print out this section and do your tests and settings point per point like in those "checklist".

cheers Thomas