SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:15 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
I used gain control on my wing for Maiden only, because wings are a little sensitive. I did this using Aux1 Aux2 setting.

Then I immediately changed it to 3pos (rth), and I started fine tuning.

I don't control gains in flight.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Guy,

you need not to control the gain during flight. itīs absolutely safe to fly with a fixed gain.
i fly all my helicopters with a fixed gain on the gyro ... and also my fpv with guardian.
you need only a few short testflights to find the optimal gain setting ... start with a lower setting than default (3), do a test and one step, repeat this until you recognice ozillations and reduce per one point. this will be the highest possible gain for your plane. if you find that this gain is too much counteraction to your stick-commands, you can reduce more.

cheers Thomas
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Yes, there is another signal generator which has been successful, and I believe it can insert up to 4 channels in your ppm signal chain.
Here it is

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576877
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I used gain control on my wing for Maiden only, because wings are a little sensitive. I did this using Aux1 Aux2 setting.

Then I immediately changed it to 3pos (rth), and I started fine tuning.

I don't control gains in flight.

-Mike
Thank you guys for all the valuable information. it looks like i would be able to manage with my 8ch rx :-)
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
You don'd need technology to fly..

I thought I'd post this for the hell of it..

Some of you have all the FPV gear one can attain.. And are to overwhelmed to move ahead with flying FPV, Some of you have purchased all the bells and whistles and have never flown FPV before..! (Been there done that).. (I'm still a mistake driven rookie ).. Intimidation has it's grip on you..!

You've read through the ET OSD manual a hundred times..(As I did, and still do)..
You've scoured and studied through all the posts in the whole rcgroups website, Not to mention all the other FPV forums on the web hoping to gain some magical insight into what it's like to be an FPV pilot... I myself bought all the ET gear.. elogger, OSD Pro.. Dual 900Mhz receivers with oracle diversity, OSD camera with vtx.. Headplay goggles.. cables , batterys, etc.. etc.. to put it all in a
PKZ T-28 with a spectrum AR7000 Rx.. Whew..!
I Installed everything in my T-28 and it sat for over a month while I got up the nerve to do anything more.. I was down right scared...!

I eventually heeded everyone's advice to "not" fly FPV with all that gear in my plane... so I did, I removed it all.. I'm glad I did too!..
The following two videos were of my first flights.. I flew in the intense heat of the day... It was a sweltering summer day as I remember.. All by myself with nothing more than a PKZ T-28 with a basic mounted fixed 420 line camera and a 900 Mhz vtx on the plane.. No OSD.. No stabilization.. No frills.. nothing..!
I was going to" fly by the seat of my pants" or die trying..! Of all the crazy, dangerous and foolish things I have done in my life this was the most horrific thing that I was about to attempt.. Nauseous, drenched in sweat and weak in the legs with my hands shaking uncontrollably, I didn't think I could control the plane via the gimbals with my thumbs!.. I had to takeoff and land with landing gear to boot, which all itself messes with with your head if you've never done it before.! I have to admit i was a wreck..!

As I look back at these two videos.. I never had so much fun in my life!

My point is this... You can Fly FPV without all the goodies... Just fly within your means.. fly within line-of-site.. After the first flight you'll be hooked for life.. With that inspiration you'll be stoked into reading and studying on how to install and configure your ET gear no problem!!... It will be a labor of love..

Mikes 4th FPV Solo (4 min 23 sec)

Mikes FPV #5 (3 min 59 sec)
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:08 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Hey MYKRO

LOL I hear what your sayin but this is not where im at,i have been doing fpv for the last 3 years and it been a blast,me and my son started with ground emaxx and revo and have a ball outback chasing and racing each other not setting any distance records just running around the woods or bashing against each other we usally start when it gets to cold to fly and need the rc fix in the winter,i also have had them in the planes for a few years but i have had more fun on the ground racing each other,our setups are basic,camera tx, rx just pan no tilt,my son uses a monitor i use dominators,and it works great,when i started with the planes same thing just plane vanilla system,i fly 5.8 600 tx with the rx in the doms,and have had a lot of fun doing the chase plane thing or just flying,but i had the bright idea to try and osd, LOL my problem now is i just do not have the time to spend hours troubleshooting it or setting it up,this is the best time of year to fly so when i do have the time its on the sticks flying,im not knocking the osd pro but it is a long learning curve for me so maybe when winter hits i will spend more time on it,right now i been having fun with the speed and altitude sensors as standalone units,i would like to figure out the guardian and put it in one of my acrobatic or 3d planes,kinda wish i had the stand alone unit,LOL but eventually when i get time i would like to use the osd for what i bought it for and have some fun with it,but its no rush just having fun with everything else now and do not have the time for the learning curve of the osd,i thought about putting it into the emaxx just to get familiar wiht it,i i am going to post on the fpv car forum and see if anyone has done that,i guess rth will not work to well on that setup.LOL
sorry if i am off topic and this should not be posted here.just trying to get some insight on a basic setup,i am going over to the guardian forum and the fpv car forum for some more info

Thank Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
Hey MYKRO

LOL I hear what your sayin but this is not where im at,i have been doing fpv for the last 3 years and it been a blast,me and my son started with ground emaxx and revo and have a ball outback chasing and racing each other not setting any distance records just running around the woods or bashing against each other we usally start when it gets to cold to fly and need the rc fix in the winter,i also have had them in the planes for a few years but i have had more fun on the ground racing each other,our setups are basic,camera tx, rx just pan no tilt,my son uses a monitor i use dominators,and it works great,when i started with the planes same thing just plane vanilla system,i fly 5.8 600 tx with the rx in the doms,and have had a lot of fun doing the chase plane thing or just flying,but i had the bright idea to try and osd, LOL my problem now is i just do not have the time to spend hours troubleshooting it or setting it up,this is the best time of year to fly so when i do have the time its on the sticks flying,im not knocking the osd pro but it is a long learning curve for me so maybe when winter hits i will spend more time on it,right now i been having fun with the speed and altitude sensors as standalone units,i would like to figure out the guardian and put it in one of my acrobatic or 3d planes,kinda wish i had the stand alone unit,LOL but eventually when i get time i would like to use the osd for what i bought it for and have some fun with it,but its no rush just having fun with everything else now and do not have the time for the learning curve of the osd,i thought about putting it into the emaxx just to get familiar wiht it,i i am going to post on the fpv car forum and see if anyone has done that,i guess rth will not work to well on that setup.LOL
sorry if i am off topic and this should not be posted here.just trying to get some insight on a basic setup,i am going over to the guardian forum and the fpv car forum for some more info

Thank Ron
Ok...
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:02 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,239 Posts
You guys are making me reminisce about how I got started with FPV. I too went all out and got almost everything all at once for my first FPV setup. I started building my Skywalker in late Dec of 2011. My first RC flight of the Skywalker with all gear mounted but not setup took place in mid Feb. My first flight with FPV gear turned on was in mate March. It wasn't until about August I actually flew FPV. By end of August I had my first goggle flight followed by installing a head tracker. Since then I have had over a dozen successful FPV flights including landing on hard top runways in goggles.
But I'm still not done. This weekend I hope to tweak in my Guardian. Next, I need to configure RTH. Once that is done I want to play with the flight logs and real time flight mapping via google earth.
Lots of fun, but the point is that it has taken me much longer to get to this point than I ever expected.
My only advice is, be patient, take your time and don't ignore the little glitches you think you can avoid for now just to get up into the air.
I very much like ET equipment but like anything else I had to study up on it. I read about ET and FPV more in the last year then all my years in high school.
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:40 AM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Is anyone out here using a Turnigy 9x with ER9x installed?? I would love some guidance on switch setup for there RTH config on there ET equipment!! Please and thank you in advance...

Regards,
Brian
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:08 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Yip, using it, what you need?
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:13 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
Yip, using it, what you need?
Can you pm me a picture or setup instructions on setting up the switches for RTH, or menu scrolling. I think I'm making it more confusing then it should be but I cant figure out how to set these 3 pos switch to work with the menu correctly.

I figure I'll use the trainer switch as a "select" switch. With this setup, RTH is only activated by lowering the throttle stick? I thought we could activate it by the 3 pos switch and still be able to navigate the menus and sub menus.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:27 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
I don't use the 3 pos switch for menus, I use Aux1 and 2, one for scrolling and one for select. RTH is invoked with the carlyle method, I've got it on a 3 pos switch, top is normal, mid locks the rudder and enables pan with rudder and low triggers -25 throttle which invokes RTH

At work now, will post the pics later tonight,

Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
I don't use the 3 pos switch for menus, I use Aux1 and 2, one for scrolling and one for select. RTH is invoked with the carlyle method, I've got it on a 3 pos switch, top is normal, mid locks the rudder and enables pan with rudder and low triggers -25 throttle which invokes RTH

At work now, will post the pics later tonight,

Dion
Sounds great! Thank you.. Looking forward to seeing it in action, more importantly though I'd like too see how you set your trims in your 9x for these switches.. Source, any offsets, switch and percentages in your movements etc etc.

Thanks again Dion!

Brian
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
BriGuy,
Trainer switch works, but sometimes you have to hold it, while you are navigatine through menus.

It can give you fits.

It works if you pay close attention to what you are doing, but I don't like it...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
You guys are making me reminisce about how I got started with FPV. I too went all out and got almost everything all at once for my first FPV setup. I started building my Skywalker in late Dec of 2011. My first RC flight of the Skywalker with all gear mounted but not setup took place in mid Feb. My first flight with FPV gear turned on was in mate March. It wasn't until about August I actually flew FPV. By end of August I had my first goggle flight followed by installing a head tracker. Since then I have had over a dozen successful FPV flights including landing on hard top runways in goggles.
But I'm still not done. This weekend I hope to tweak in my Guardian. Next, I need to configure RTH. Once that is done I want to play with the flight logs and real time flight mapping via google earth.
Lots of fun, but the point is that it has taken me much longer to get to this point than I ever expected.
My only advice is, be patient, take your time and don't ignore the little glitches you think you can avoid for now just to get up into the air.
I very much like ET equipment but like anything else I had to study up on it. I read about ET and FPV more in the last year then all my years in high school.
Hey Vlodek
I hear what your saying with the patience thing,but believe it or not im just he opposite,i got into the fpv with ground vehicles, usually starts in about a month when its to cold to fly and we go to the trucks outback,in the beginning i bought just what we needed to get started and every year this time we add something to upgrade,one yr dominator,next new tx,my wife is very frugal and watches our hobbyLOL but the osd pro in my this instance was classic [idiot has more money than brains]LOL i remember browsing the web and seeing this come up and reading it has rth and thought bingo lets get it, just never thought it would be this involved and time consuming,i guess thats good so you can grow with it over the years,i found someone who is running it in there truck over in the fpv car forums and hopefully i can get it setup on my truck and get wired and get a feel for how it works then next spring try it in one of the planes
thanks for the insight Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Swapping planes and gear - do I start over?

Hopefully Mike or someone can answer some questions for me.
It is time to swap it over to a better FPV plane (I got the Penguin FPV plane).

Do I need to basically start over or can I somehow change the model name in the elogger and run servo wizzard again? Will that work? I don't want to start over really. I can't remember how I did everything plus my eagle eyes settings all work find as far as pan and tilt settings for the servos. How do you recommend I move the system to a new plane? I will want return to home to work as well. Going from a 2.4 radio back to a 72 radio. Not sure that matters as far as any setup.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97