Joined Sep 2010
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy252 View Post
Hi All :-)

after reading the previous posts i got a little bit confused:
im using a turnigy 9x and the receiver has 8 channels
4 channels are used for the usual ailreons/elevator/motor/rudder
3 pos switch is used for 3pos flaps (if understood correcly i might need to change that)
aux 1 and 2 are for the ET menu
now i also have fatshark googles and need 2 channels for the head traking (i thought about only use the letf/right and skip the up down for now)
and the guardian which also needs a channel.

this brings me to 10 channels. (maybe i can bind the flaps to another stick or knob ?)
any ideas on a better configuration? i mean, doesnt a turnigy 9x enough in terms of the num of channels?

Thanks
-guy
Guy, there should be a 433mhz receiver that comes with Fatshark. Use that to plug in the pan and tilt servos. Then you use the servo wire also included with Fatshark to connect the 433 Rx to your radio receiver. It does not matter which channel because all that the servo cable does is power the 433 Rx.

Correction, use the Rx battery port channel to plug the servo cable from the 433 Rx.
Vlodek9 is online now Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Last edited by Vlodek9; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
you are referring to the wireless module right?

i got the wired version. maybe i need to order the wireless module...
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
973 Posts
Quote:
you are referring to the wireless module right?

i got the wired version. maybe i need to order the wireless module...
Well, hold on because there are things to consider going that way. From my experiance, I ditched the wireless system.
It is personal choice and it does work but:
If you ever want to put a UHF range extender on your FPV, you will have to pay very close attention to the frequency because allot of the UHF systems are at 433Mhz. So needless to say the two will interfere with each other.
Second, I didn't like the fact that I had to calibrate it so often during flights.
Finally, there is a range limitation on the wireless system, I think it's 200 meters but not sure.

Those reasons are why I ditched the wireless system. But I think I missed something in your original post because I'm running the pan tilt servos straight to my radio receiver and I only use 9 channels.
Let me get back to you.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
973 Posts
Quote:
Hi All :-)

after reading the previous posts i got a little bit confused:
im using a turnigy 9x and the receiver has 8 channels
4 channels are used for the usual ailreons/elevator/motor/rudder
3 pos switch is used for 3pos flaps (if understood correcly i might need to change that)
aux 1 and 2 are for the ET menu
now i also have fatshark googles and need 2 channels for the head traking (i thought about only use the letf/right and skip the up down for now)
and the guardian which also needs a channel.

this brings me to 10 channels. (maybe i can bind the flaps to another stick or knob ?)
any ideas on a better configuration? i mean, doesnt a turnigy 9x enough in terms of the num of channels?

Thanks
-guy
Ahh my math sucks. Here is my setup.
4 channels for (throttle, aileron, rudder, and elevator)
1 channel Aux1 OSD (3 pos switch with RTH)
1 channel Aux2 OSD sub-menu select.
1 channel Aux3 Pan
1 channel Aux4 Tilt

1 channel (retracts not used).
Total 9 channels

So your flaps is the difference. Flaps (AuxX) make it so you need a10 channel.
In short, I don't know of a way to use a wired head tracker with your configuration on a 9 channel system.
Sorry
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
973 Posts
Now I have a question.

Here is my setup.
1 channel Aux3 Pan
1 channel Aux4 Tilt
1 channel Aux5 OPENED

I want to keep this configuration or similar with Aux1 being a 3 pos switch WITH RTH.
By default Aux2 is OSD sub menu scroll/select.
But, is there a way I can put the Guardian on/off and change pitch/ roll settings on Aux3,4,5?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:59 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,314 Posts
There is one way.

If you had Guardian 2d/3d, then it would not interface with the OSD.

It would act as a stand alone stabilizer, but it has two channels if I remember correctly.

However, you are using 8 channels already and if you go to a LRS, then you are limited to 8 channels

Unless you add a PPM channel generator, in which case you can have 12 channels.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Now I have a question.

Here is my setup.
1 channel Aux3 Pan
1 channel Aux4 Tilt
1 channel Aux5 OPENED

I want to keep this configuration or similar with Aux1 being a 3 pos switch WITH RTH.
By default Aux2 is OSD sub menu scroll/select.
But, is there a way I can put the Guardian on/off and change pitch/ roll settings on Aux3,4,5?
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
973 Posts
I don't think # of channels will be an issue for me. I can upgrade all the way to 18 channels.
So the 2d/3d guardian is independent from the OSD, did not know that. Interesting.
But in this case if the OSD and 2d/3d guardian are independent, I'm wandering how or IF the RTH will work hand in hand with the 2d/3d guardian as it does with the current guardian when RTH kicks in?
Meaning, if my pitch/roll in RTH is set differently than on the 2d/3d guardian and RTH kicks in... Who wins, RTH, guardian, or will they just fight and contradict each others commands to the servos until the plane crashes?

Thanks
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
There is one way.

If you had Guardian 2d/3d, then it would not interface with the OSD.

It would act as a stand alone stabilizer, but it has two channels if I remember correctly.

However, you are using 8 channels already and if you go to a LRS, then you are limited to 8 channels

Unless you add a PPM channel generator, in which case you can have 12 channels.

-Mike
There is discussion of this headtracker ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559, inserting a signal directly into a LRS without using the 2 channels for pan and tilt. It does seem to have some bugs to be worked out though.

Mark
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,314 Posts
Yes, there is another signal generator which has been successful, and I believe it can insert up to 4 channels in your ppm signal chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
There is discussion of this headtracker ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559, inserting a signal directly into a LRS without using the 2 channels for pan and tilt. It does seem to have some bugs to be worked out though.

Mark
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,314 Posts
You would set it up like you would set up any other stand alone stabilizer.
It's what we were trying to do with the previously less reliable stabilizers.

When Eagle Tree came out with the Guardian Expander, it was like flipping a switch.
All of the sudden I had reliable stabilization. It was amazing.

I immediately got in thouch with Bill,
and told him that he needed to use his Guardian technology in a stand-alone stabilizer,
and his response was that he was already planning one.

I wish the Guardain 2d/3d could interface with the OSD Pro,
but that doesn't stop you from being able to use it with the OSD Pro.

The difference would be
1) You would loose the Artificial Horizon

2) You would not move your sticks to their extremes during servo analysis wizzard,
instead; You would move your sticks to the points where you would normally move them in a turn, or in a climb.

Crist is presently using the Guardian 2d/3d with the OSD Pro,
and I would assume that he is using it successfully.
Last time he posted about it, he was very pleased.

The 2d/3d is a good option,
but again; "you have to make a choice as to what is important to you".

-Mike

Quote:
I don't think # of channels will be an issue for me. I can upgrade all the way to 18 channels.
So the 2d/3d guardian is independent from the OSD, did not know that. Interesting.
But in this case if the OSD and 2d/3d guardian are independent, I'm wandering how or IF the RTH will work hand in hand with the 2d/3d guardian as it does with the current guardian when RTH kicks in?
Meaning, if my pitch/roll in RTH is set differently than on the 2d/3d guardian and RTH kicks in... Who wins, RTH, guardian, or will they just fight and contradict each others commands to the servos until the plane crashes?

Thanks
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
701 Posts
OSD Newb

I have had this osd pro for 3 months now with logger 4,guardian,gps4,airspeed altitude sensor,and it still sitting on my shelf,i read directions twice and i still get a headache when i read them so im done with reading directions,LOL time to use it,i started to set it up in my plane and it looked like spaghetti wiring so i gave up for a while,my idea was to set this up in the radian with all the features with rth but that does not seem like its going to happen for a while til i figure this out,and am confident using it,i have a turnigy9 for tx and stock rx ,i am going to upgrade to a dragon link or frysky in the future,i have been flying and driving fpv for 3 years but never had osd in there,just in close having fun,my question is what is the most basic way to set this up to get started,i have read some of the wiring diagrams and to me it looks like i need a degree in engineering to figure them out,i would like to set it up with the simplest wiring setup and the least amount of features,in order to keep it simple,do i need the elogger or can i just run the osd by itself for practice,
I also thought about putting it on my emaxx and practice with that for a while so i could get used to going threw the menus and changing values,as it would be a lot easier to do than flying,i did a search and did not find anyone running an osd in there cars so not sure if it would work out,any help in a basic setup is appreciated

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Ahh my math sucks. Here is my setup.
1 channel Aux3 Pan
1 channel Aux4 Tilt

1 channel (retracts not used).
Total 9 channels

So your flaps is the difference. Flaps (AuxX) make it so you need a10 channel.
In short, I don't know of a way to use a wired head tracker with your configuration on a 9 channel system.
Sorry
i think the best thing for me would be to ditch the head tracker for now so i can maintain a simple configuration. if all goes well i will need to upgrade my system to have more channels :-)

guy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
hi

a quick one....

if i want to have gain control on the guardian, does i mean i must use the 3pos switch configuration for the rth and on screen menus (since the guardian is connected to aux 2)?
is it safe flying without guardian gain control?

Guy
Last edited by guy252; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
701 Posts
I also have another question i forgot to ask in the last post,as i have posted i have not used this osd pro yet but i have been having fun with the airspeed reader by itself,i have set it up as a standalone on couple different planes and its been a lot of fun reading the true speed instead of guessing,i would also like to try the guardian on one of my 3d planes,i have the guardian that plugs into the osd,not the standalone,can i setup the guardian with just the osd pro or do i need to use the elogger with it to make it work.i also want to try the altitude sensor as a standalone..which that is no problem like the airspeed,they hook right up,nothing like seeing it read over 100mph LOL and not having to guess or have people say that things is only doing 50,

Thanks Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,128 Posts
Quote:
hi

a quick one....

if i want to have gain control on the guardian, does i mean i must use the 3pos switch configuration for the rth and on screen menus (since the guardian is connected to aux 2)?
is it safe flying without guardian gain control?

Guy
Hi Guy,

you need not to control the gain during flight. itīs absolutely safe to fly with a fixed gain.
i fly all my helicopters with a fixed gain on the gyro ... and also my fpv with guardian.
you need only a few short testflights to find the optimal gain setting ... start with a lower setting than default (3), do a test and one step, repeat this until you recognice ozillations and reduce per one point. this will be the highest possible gain for your plane. if you find that this gain is too much counteraction to your stick-commands, you can reduce more.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1