SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:34 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Mykro,

pls test your power supply for rc and osd ... i lost a plane long time ago (not fpv) because the bec didnīt hold the output voltage at lower input voltages. in my tests the osd can handle a lower voltage than most receivers .... so i believe that the failsafe was detected correct from the osd and your problems come from a weak rc-link.

cheers Thomas
Thomas,

I'm going to pull the CC BEC out of the plane and test it with a lipo at around the same low voltage as in the video and try to duplicate the low voltage condition..
I'll check back in with the results.. I got a hunch you are correct with regards to the BEC..!!

Michael
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Oct 01, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Mykro,

do you dare take a flight displaying servo deflections, so we can see a bigger picture?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Mykro,

do you dare take a flight displaying servo deflections, so we can see a bigger picture?
For me to fly FPV it is a 110 mile round trip, and I'm too busy with work during the week.. I fly usually FPV on the weekends unless I get a day off during the week which is not likely right now..

I dare not fly the plane with it in the condition it's in right now, down right nerve racking to try to land the plane with RTH "stuck on"...

It seems to me after what I had just been through, that when the battery gets too low as it did in my case the motors should cut-off when the ESC cuts the motors off.. The battery went dead and RTH was in still in "climbing' mode with 3/4 throttle disregarding the fact that the ESC was cutting off power to the motors.. It would make more sense to me that RTH should follow the ESC cut-off so that the plane would continue to circle as it does and then just glide to a landing.. More so when in a circumstance like what I was in.. The plane wanted to climb to altitude when it had no more battery to do so, and at the same time I had to land the plane..

I will do as asked and will display the servo deflections with the very next mission I fly.
In the mean time.. I want to thoroughly troubleshoot the plane on the bench to see what I may find..

Michael
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Oct 01, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
You can disable the motor and fly it in the simulator.

record the data and post that...

I would bench test it like that before you run servo analysis wizzard...

I wonder,

did the RTH disengage when you throttled up?

it seemed to me that it was throttled down the whole time, except for when RTH engaged the motor.

If this is the case, and it is linked to your throttle detection through Servo analysis wizzard, then it would engage while on the bench.

If you only have it set to one failsafe, then it would not disengage unless you throttle up.

this is the reason that I set it to 3 failsafe channels (if you move any stick, then RTH disengages).

I am assuming that it is either linked to your throttle off position
or it is a Transmitter/reciever problem,
or it is a bad connection between your reciever and osd.

110 Miles, that's rough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
For me to fly FPV it is a 110 mile round trip, and I'm too busy with work during the week.. I fly usually FPV on the weekends unless I get a day off during the week which is not likely right now..

I dare not fly the plane with it in the condition it's in right now, down right nerve racking to try to land the plane with RTH "stuck on"...

It seems to me after what I had just been through, that when the battery gets too low as it did in my case the motors should cut-off when the ESC cuts the motors off.. The battery went dead and RTH was in still in "climbing' mode with 3/4 throttle disregarding the fact that the ESC was cutting off power to the motors.. It would make more sense to me that RTH should follow the ESC cut-off so that the plane would continue to circle as it does and then just glide to a landing.. More so when in a circumstance like what I was in.. The plane wanted to climb to altitude when it had no more battery to do so, and at the same time I had to land the plane..

I will do as asked and will display the servo deflections with the very next mission I fly.
In the mean time.. I want to thoroughly troubleshoot the plane on the bench to see what I may find..

Michael
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
Hey, if you read back a few pages you'll see we've been discussing this for the past week. There is great input from users in the past couple posts.

Regards,
Brian
Thanks :-) i've managed to activate the on screen dispaly, and now reading back all the posts, before i setup RTH.
since im new to FPV, i dont plan on flying beyond visual range. do you think i should configure RTH anyway? (last few posts and videos made me wonder about that :-))

Thanks again for the help,
-guy
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:37 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy252 View Post
Thanks :-) i've managed to activate the on screen dispaly, and now reading back all the posts, before i setup RTH.
since im new to FPV, i dont plan on flying beyond visual range. do you think i should configure RTH anyway? (last few posts and videos made me wonder about that :-))

-guy
hi guy,

rth is higly recommended:
itīs your only way to get the plane back if things go wrong.
there are many possibilities to need rth even when flying los-range.
this may be getting disorientated, glitches in the rc link or video link, ...
transition between goggles and los isnīt easy. in the first moment your eyes need some time to cumulate to the brightness and you need some time to find the plane, even when you believe to know where the plane should be

i use rth during flight minimum two times. shortly after launch to change to the goggles and for landing to take off the goggles.

last weekend a friend of mine does his first fpv-flight out to 4km with my plane. heīs an absolute beginner, has never flown an rc plane before and knows a transmitter only from a flightsim. with a proper stabilisation and rth for recovering iīve had no second a fear about the health of my plane

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:43 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
741 Posts
Quote:

-guy
Many FPVer fly with out RTH.
The first time I flew FPV I was not going out far the next think I know no one could see my Easy Star
Get RTH working before you go off. You got it use it

"just my thoughts"
EugeneFlorida is online now Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:09 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Setup RTH first, but..... Allso don't be reckless and think RTH is going to save you every time, it works 9.9/10 times pending wind etc.

Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
491 Posts
ZII low and high (2 min 54 sec)
carlocivicsi is online now Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Guy,

The first time was the hardest. each time that I go through the process it becomes easier.

Honestly after setting up two planes myself, and helping set up three other planes,
it is so easy that I don't know why somebody wouldn't set up RTH.

I just figure it is like setting up the rest of the plane.

You have to read and study to set up your new esc that you don't understand.
There's no difference, its just another piece of equipment that you have to understand.

I have explanined everything in great detail here.
Some times it helps to hear it, and not just read it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717573

-Mike

Quote:

-guy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
104 Posts
Thank you guys for the valuable info and feedback.
I will take the experts advice and take the time to set the rth.

Is rth only enabled on failsafe or can i bind it to a chnnel on the rx?

Thanks,
Guy
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Guy,

You can involk RTH via the three position switch in aux 1,
You can use the carlisle method by throttling down and trimming the throttle down
, or it is involked in the case of a failsafe.

If you lost video, you could hit the switch and it would come back to you.
It is a very handy tool.

-Mike

Quote:
Thank you guys for the valuable info and feedback.
I will take the experts advice and take the time to set the rth.

Is rth only enabled on failsafe or can i bind it to a chnnel on the rx?

Thanks,
Guy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Michael,

I don't see anything unusual in your config file - thanks for posting, though.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
yakum smakum
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Need some help or advice. I am interested in finding out what some of you guys are doing out there to use the aux 1 and aux 2 connections on you OSD when you actually need a third when you have a guardian. In other words, I am ok with using a three position switch to manipulate the on screen menus (aux 1), and I currently have the (aux 2) input set for adjusting the master gain knob on the guardian. I am not sure the best way to set up the system as I would also like to be able to turn on the RTH with a switch as well. I have a 72 Mhz radio that is not PCM, can I still set throttle trim all the way down to engage the RTH that way? Or what are some of you guys doing that have 72 mhz non PCM?

Thanks in advance for all your input,

Steve S. Naples, Fl
stevo6739615 is offline Find More Posts by stevo6739615
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:44 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
There is always the option to set up a condition on your radio which involks the RTH by having the throttle off and trimmed all of the way down (carlisle method)

Otherwise you have to choose which you would like to control.

The guardian gains / or the rth.

for me, I use 3 pos (rth). this way I have the three position switch and the two position switch to navigate the menu. It is much easier than trying to use only the three position switch.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6739615 View Post
Need some help or advice. I am interested in finding out what some of you guys are doing out there to use the aux 1 and aux 2 connections on you OSD when you actually need a third when you have a guardian. In other words, I am ok with using a three position switch to manipulate the on screen menus (aux 1), and I currently have the (aux 2) input set for adjusting the master gain knob on the guardian. I am not sure the best way to set up the system as I would also like to be able to turn on the RTH with a switch as well. I have a 72 Mhz radio that is not PCM, can I still set throttle trim all the way down to engage the RTH that way? Or what are some of you guys doing that have 72 mhz non PCM?

Thanks in advance for all your input,

Steve S. Naples, Fl