Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Ron,

the simulator is in the onscreen menu.

Once you select simulator on, you can fly the chevron around the screen.

It is not like a flight simulator, it is more of a performance simulator. It comes in real handy at times, but not to get hung up on it.

It doesn't act like your plane will

e.g. The trims will be different than your real plane

So you can see that your tracker follows the actions of your Sim Plane,

and you can verify that the OSD RTH is responding correctly, but

when you fly your plane for the first time, you will have to go through a calibration phase, and this could take a while for the first time.

Just set your RTH altitudes fairly high, and test with an altitude buffer, then don't let it

go, if it is not performing correctly.

If you need to change some settings to get it to perform correctly, then that is no big issue, just don't let it do its' own thing until you have it set so that it does what it is supposed to, every time...

Let me know if it doesn't perform correctly, and I'll be happy to help...

-Mike
Hey Mike

Thanks for the reply and info,that is what i thought it was doing but i was not sure and had to put it down before i really had a chance to get into it,i will play around with it again tonight if i get time,thanks for the info

Ron
snoopy3440 is online now Find More Posts by snoopy3440
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
To you new guys who are just starting out with your Eagle Tree enhanced aircraft..

After you have done your initial maiden of your aircraft... Your flight trials have now just begun!. NEVER fly your plane outside line of sight until you have RTH dialed in and working beautufully..!! You will find yourself getting all excited at how cool your plane is flying especially with the Guardian stabilizing your plane you could very well fly outside the range of your video in your excitement..

If you lose video and RTH is not working perfectly.. You could very well wind up with a lost model on your hands...$$$$$ down the drain... I know.. It happened to me..

Exercise patience and discipline when just starting out with this cool equipment..

If you already have heeded these words of wisdom, than disregard this post.. Just my 2 cents worth..
Hey Mykro

Very good advice, your right this is a very cool device, for the little time i played around with it i thought i am going to have some fun with this,LOL,but the main reason i bought this is for the RTH,so i am going to take my time and get it worked out before sending the model up and losing all my fpv gear,.i been doing fpv for bout 3yrs just never put it in a plane,when it gets cold and cannot fly we run them in the emaxxs out back and have a balll racing,i have many planes but never had the urge to fly with it up til lately and i know from running it on the ground it gets very addicting fast,but its no problem losing a signal with the ground vehicle,up in the air would be a bummer,so yes i take your advice seriously,and hope to get this setup correctly before flying

Thanks Ron
Ron
snoopy3440 is online now Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
Hey Mykro

Very good advice, your right this is a very cool device, for the little time i played around with it i thought i am going to have some fun with this,LOL,but the main reason i bought this is for the RTH,so i am going to take my time and get it worked out before sending the model up and losing all my fpv gear,.i been doing fpv for bout 3yrs just never put it in a plane,when it gets cold and cannot fly we run them in the emaxxs out back and have a balll racing,i have many planes but never had the urge to fly with it up til lately and i know from running it on the ground it gets very addicting fast,but its no problem losing a signal with the ground vehicle,up in the air would be a bummer,so yes i take your advice seriously,and hope to get this setup correctly before flying

Thanks Ron
Ron
Ron,

You have to actually fly the plane to get RTH setup correct.. By all means get it working right in the simulator... But when you do fly your plane keep it within eye sight until you have RTH working right..

Just because RTH works in the simulator does not mean RTH works as you would want it to when you actually have it in the air.. The simulator is only a guide line at best.. It is what it says it is... "A simulation"
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:38 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
For lost plane locating, can use Tagg pet tracker

Tagg is a GPS-based pet tracker. It's not optimized for RC use, but if you already have one for your pet, you can borrow it when doing FPV flying and always locate a lost model. It has mobile apps for locating, and even a telephone hot line if you don't have a smart phone. (Just call your plane "Spot.")
I'm experimenting with it myself - not enough experience to give a review.
Cost is about $100 + $8/month. Might not be worth it just for FPV, but if you have a pet it's a 2-fer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
To you new guys who are just starting out with your Eagle Tree enhanced aircraft..

After you have done your initial maiden of your aircraft... Your flight trials have now just begun!. NEVER fly your plane outside line of sight until you have RTH dialed in and working beautufully..!! You will find yourself getting all excited at how cool your plane is flying especially with the Guardian stabilizing your plane you could very well fly outside the range of your video in your excitement..

If you lose video and RTH is not working perfectly.. You could very well wind up with a lost model on your hands...$$$$$ down the drain... I know.. It happened to me..

Exercise patience and discipline when just starting out with this cool equipment..

If you already have heeded these words of wisdom, than disregard this post.. Just my 2 cents worth..
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Tagg is a GPS-based pet tracker. It's not optimized for RC use, but if you already have one for your pet, you can borrow it when doing FPV flying and always locate a lost model. It has mobile apps for locating, and even a telephone hot line if you don't have a smart phone. (Just call your plane "Spot.")
I'm experimenting with it myself - not enough experience to give a review.
Cost is about $100 + $8/month. Might not be worth it just for FPV, but if you have a pet it's a 2-fer.
Using a GPS locator has already been a topic on this thread recently.. I myself do own one...

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
i I am new at this and I would like to get rid of the cord and i coordinates numbers from the display how do I do that?
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocivicsi View Post
i I am new at this and I would like to get rid of the cord and i coordinates numbers from the display how do I do that?
is this what you want?

Page 27
GPS and RADAR Configuration Menu

This menu page lets you configure GPS and RADAR display settings.
· Display Lat-Lon Position: This item lets you choose when latitude/longitude position is displayed on the main screen. The choices are:
o Never: position is never displayed
o Trouble: position is displayed when the RTH or Failsafe safety modes are invoked, or if an alarm has been triggered
o Low Alt: position is displayed for Trouble, and additionally if the model’s altitude is less than the setting you made in the
“Cruise Altitude” item in the Configure Safety Mode menu
o Distance: position is displayed for Trouble, Low Alt, and additionally if the distance of the model from home exceeds the Maximum
“RADAR Radius” item in the Configure OSD Display menu.
o Always: position information is always displayed
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
Another question that I want to ask is on the RTH.
I believe I have the radius 800 feet in altitude to 575. And outside the 800 radius I have it for cruising altitude at 2000 feet.

today when I was testing it out for the first time i was more than a mile out about 7000 ft from home and it came home just perfectly but then as it got closer It passed by me at about 700 feet made a right turn (a wide one) and flew down to 50 feet of the ground and i was waiting for it to climb but i wasent climbing, it went down to 50 ft !! and if I wouldn't off pulled up on the stick it would've kept on going lower. I thought that the RTH was supposed to keep on circling above me at a certain height. Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm really new to Eagletree and to fpv.

here is the video that i just finished editing and uploading.

My Eagletree RTH Problem. (4 min 2 sec)
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Last edited by carlocivicsi; Jul 27, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
How do i run the "safety wizard"? alot of the menu options say that i need to run the safety wizard first???

Also, can anyone recommend some guardian settings for a Bixler? I have no clue on where to start and dont want to run it with settings that aren't suited.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:10 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
I would increase your home radius so that it stays inside of the home radius, and consequently at the home altitude.

I usually have the cruise altitude at about 700' unless I am flying in the mountains. The key is to have it at a reasonable altitude, so that if you are flying at 700', then it doesn't have to climb to 2000' while it returns.

also, the diving issue:

It sounds like it is not pulling up.

if that is the case, then you need to increase (pitch proportional gain)

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocivicsi View Post
Another question that I want to ask is on the RTH.
I believe I have the radius 800 feet in altitude to 575. And outside the 800 radius I have it for cruising altitude at 2000 feet.

today when I was testing it out for the first time i was more than a mile out about 7000 ft from home and it came home just perfectly but then as it got closer It passed by me at about 700 feet made a right turn (a wide one) and flew down to 50 feet of the ground and i was waiting for it to climb but i wasent climbing, it went down to 50 ft !! and if I wouldn't off pulled up on the stick it would've kept on going lower. I thought that the RTH was supposed to keep on circling above me at a certain height. Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm really new to Eagletree and to fpv.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
In the OSD menu, there is a place to run safety wizzard, it is called servo analysis wizzard.

hold the sticks until the count down is finished, then snap to the next command.

If you don't get it the first time, you can run it again.

With the settings, I usually maiden my plane, and get it trimmed out.

then I test RTH with a pretty good altitude buffer. Something will not be right about your settings, but you need to pay attention to the actions of the plane.

Is it diving
is it turning too sharp, or not sharp enough,
is it porpoising

then you can post your results, and we will help you find your settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
How do i run the "safety wizard"? alot of the menu options say that i need to run the safety wizard first???

Also, can anyone recommend some guardian settings for a Bixler? I have no clue on where to start and dont want to run it with settings that aren't suited.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:45 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
I've run the servo analysis wizard but maybe i didn't do it right?? will try again.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
When running the servo wizard (with Guardian) i am unsure which parameters to give full control input and which to give actual input. The manual states when using Guardian to give full control input and when not using it to give actual input. I am using Guardian so what input do i give for setting cruising? what about climbing?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
In the OSD menu, there is a place to run safety wizzard, it is called servo analysis wizzard.

hold the sticks until the count down is finished, then snap to the next command.

If you don't get it the first time, you can run it again.

With the settings, I usually maiden my plane, and get it trimmed out.

then I test RTH with a pretty good altitude buffer. Something will not be right about your settings, but you need to pay attention to the actions of the plane.

Is it diving
is it turning too sharp, or not sharp enough,
is it porpoising

then you can post your results, and we will help you find your settings.
I'm not getting any count down.

It just tells me to hold the throttle / elevator / rudder aileron in position to climb / cruise / descend then hit next. Did everything it asks 3 times, trying different amounts of input and it says that it is finished everytime but still the menu tells me that i need to run the safety wizard.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
I'm not getting any count down.

It just tells me to hold the throttle / elevator / rudder aileron in position to climb / cruise / descend then hit next. Did everything it asks 3 times, trying different amounts of input and it says that it is finished everytime but still the menu tells me that i need to run the safety wizard.
Ok, I have never run the coumputer version. I know that it has been bills lifes desire to make sure that the computer version works flawlessly so it should work.