HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,247 Posts
how to set warning message for rssi?

hi,
this time i need your help.
i want to set a minimum warning for rssi but i donīt know which value i should write into the input field. see the enclosed picture (now there is 200)
the text shows that valid values are from 32 to 424 ... i guess thatīs 3,2 to 42,4 Volts for use the Temp1 as voltage input BUT the rssi-signal has a range from 0 to 5,0V or in the config-file
" RSSIOn="1636
" RSSIOff="0

i want a warning at 30% rssi or equivalent 1,5V .... thats out of the described range for valid values ???

anybody out there using a warning on rssi and knowing how to do?

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
.... 30% ....
set it to "30".

Just don't overthink that one.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000 View Post
set it to "30".

Just don't overthink that one.
Hi BlueAngel,

thank you sometimes things are easier than i believe

cheers Thomas
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:23 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
720 Posts
I just picked up and osd pro,elogger v4,gps v4,guardian and airspeed v3.i have been picking at the directions had not really had time to read everything,[i know gotta read it all but i just wanted to check it out]
i set it up on my table yesterday just layed out what i would hook up to it if were in a plane, motor,esc,servos, camer tx ,everthing seems to work fine,locked on 10 sat in the gps,and set the home position, i set it up first in the pc and did all the fw updates but this time i was using the radio sticks to go into the menus and i selected,the simulation i think its called near the bottom of the main menu,this might be a dumb question LOL but i thought the osd would run its own program and do a flight simulation built into the software,so one can look at the graphic and get an idea whats going on,but as i moved the sticks it seemed it was climbing and gaining speed with my inputs,so my question is, is this a simulation that the user runs using the radio or is it a preset simulation in the software to learn it,i was really in a hurry to check it out and had two 7 yr olds screaming at me to get moving so thats why i am not sure if i was reading the sim correct,but just from the little time i played around with this, i thought this is an awesome system and we gonna have a Lotta fun with it LOL,i can see how i could easisly get over loaded with info and have some crashes in the beginning LOL just gonna keep it simple in the plane but for the sim,i wanted to load it up and see what it has and take it for a spin

Thanks Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Question regarding monitoring a second battery with the OSD Pro:
My main flight battery is 3S (11.1) plugged into the eLogger v4. I have a secondary camera/transmitter battery that is 4S (14.8V) that I want to monitor. The manual says "the pack voltage must not exceed 16V, or the eLogger will be damaged!" Isn't a fully charged 4S battery actually 16.8V? This would exceed the 16V max. and fry the eLogger?? Also, I will have a 15K resistor coming off the battery (+) red and going to the center pin on temp2 of the eLogger. Do I need to go ahead and include the black gnd wire in the servo plug since these are two separate battery systems and no common ground??
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Anybody know of a good place to buy the 15K 1% resistor? Link?
Or just go to Radio shack and see if they have em?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
Hi BlueAngel,

thank you sometimes things are easier than i believe

cheers Thomas
So, did that work?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Ron,

the simulator is in the onscreen menu.

Once you select simulator on, you can fly the chevron around the screen.

It is not like a flight simulator, it is more of a performance simulator. It comes in real handy at times, but not to get hung up on it.

It doesn't act like your plane will

e.g. The trims will be different than your real plane

So you can see that your tracker follows the actions of your Sim Plane,

and you can verify that the OSD RTH is responding correctly, but

when you fly your plane for the first time, you will have to go through a calibration phase, and this could take a while for the first time.

Just set your RTH altitudes fairly high, and test with an altitude buffer, then don't let it

go, if it is not performing correctly.

If you need to change some settings to get it to perform correctly, then that is no big issue, just don't let it do its' own thing until you have it set so that it does what it is supposed to, every time...

Let me know if it doesn't perform correctly, and I'll be happy to help...

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
Anybody know of a good place to buy the 15K 1% resistor? Link?
Or just go to Radio shack and see if they have em?
digikey
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Question regarding monitoring a second battery with the OSD Pro:
My main flight battery is 3S (11.1) plugged into the eLogger v4. I have a secondary camera/transmitter battery that is 4S (14.8V) that I want to monitor. The manual says "the pack voltage must not exceed 16V, or the eLogger will be damaged!" Isn't a fully charged 4S battery actually 16.8V? This would exceed the 16V max. and fry the eLogger?? Also, I will have a 15K resistor coming off the battery (+) red and going to the center pin on temp2 of the eLogger. Do I need to go ahead and include the black gnd wire in the servo plug since these are two separate battery systems and no common ground??
That just seems backwards.

Usually people may use a 4S for a flight pack, but

a 3S produces 12 volts and, if you are going to use a two battery system,

then You should be running your 12V video equipment on a 3S.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
That just seems backwards.

Usually people may use a 4S for a flight pack, but

a 3S produces 12 volts and, if you are going to use a two battery system,

then You should be running your 12V video equipment on a 3S.

Hey Mike, thanks for the link!
There are a ton of resistors there to choose from. Do you know what the best wattage for one would be? I was just going to guess 1/4W and choose this one: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSea...87464703873214

My Scorpion motor runs most efficient on 3S for the Prop size I'm using.

I was just going to try following Trappy's (Team Black Sheep) advice:
"Avoid powering the VTx directly. Step-up or step-down the voltage and provide a constant level of power to your VTx, otherwise make sure your VTx runs reliably until the battery dies. Try to avoid 12V VTx on 3S systems."
So I was planning to step down from 14V to 12V.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....p-philosophies
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:24 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Quote:
There are a ton of resistors there to choose from. Do you know what the best wattage for one would be? I was just going to guess 1/4W and choose this one: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSea...87464703873214

"Avoid powering the VTx directly. Step-up or step-down the voltage and provide a constant level of power to your VTx, otherwise make sure your VTx runs reliably until the battery dies. Try to avoid 12V VTx on 3S systems."
I don't understand that "philosophy", or that interpretation of it. My vtx runs fine down to below 8V. Below that, I haven't tested it, because the battery is on a steep voltage decline from then on anyway. Running a component on a voltage over it's rating is just as likely to cause damage in my experience.

Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,247 Posts
Quote:

hi,
in my opinion some trappy-hints are overtaken due the evolution in the past few months.
since we can use the guardian, the rth is the function which will safe our plane... not the video
but rth is useless without a propulsion system so i prefer only 1 battery with a rock-solid bec (7,5A dd) for the supply of the electronics. video is connected over a filter to the main battery.

a second battery with an additional active element like a dc/dc converter influences the MTBF (mean time between failure) in a very negative way.

cheers Thomas
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
hi,
in my opinion some trappy-hints are overtaken due the evolution in the past few months.
since we can use the guardian, the rth is the function which will safe our plane... not the video
but rth is useless without a propulsion system so i prefer only 1 battery with a rock-solid bec (7,5A dd) for the supply of the electronics. video is connected over a filter to the main battery.

a second battery with an additional active element like a dc/dc converter influences the MTBF (mean time between failure) in a very negative way.

cheers Thomas
You guys are probably right, and a one battery setup is definatey easier. I've noticed that a lot of the electronics take a wide range of voltages now too.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
567 Posts
A word of advice...

To you new guys who are just starting out with your Eagle Tree enhanced aircraft..

After you have done your initial maiden of your aircraft... Your flight trials have now just begun!. NEVER fly your plane outside line of sight until you have RTH dialed in and working beautufully..!! You will find yourself getting all excited at how cool your plane is flying especially with the Guardian stabilizing your plane you could very well fly outside the range of your video in your excitement..

If you lose video and RTH is not working perfectly.. You could very well wind up with a lost model on your hands...$$$$$ down the drain... I know.. It happened to me..

Exercise patience and discipline when just starting out with this cool equipment..

If you already have heeded these words of wisdom, than disregard this post.. Just my 2 cents worth..
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member