HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Are you giving full elevator stick deflection during servo analysis wizard?
Yes...!!! I've gone through the wizard a hundred times..

This is my 3rd build all with ET equipment on board.. They all flew great... RTH worked great..!!
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,239 Posts
Hi all. Have a quick question about the Guardian. I think I read somewhere here or in manual that once the guardian is active, one should not use radio trim but use guardian setup to trim it. Is that correct?
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:41 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Hi all. Have a quick question about the Guardian. I think I read somewhere here or in manual that once the guardian is active, one should not use radio trim but use guardian setup to trim it. Is that correct?
This is how I set mine up..

My first Flight set up

Overall Gain set to 0
Fly and trim plane: Land
RESET FAIL/SAFE ( transmitter)
Run Servo Analysis Wizard
Reset Cruise Sticks/Throttle :
Throttle must be at cruise position
Reset Level Pitch and Roll: Use levels : Gain set to 0
Put Stabilizer Overall Gain to 4 to start
Fly
Fly to see the Artificial Horizon Line is right
And flies Level
Ready to start set-up for RTH
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Mykro,

Those oscillations are nasty. I have had similar (RTH climbing) problems with my 2nd ET setup on a Ritewing ZII. I added some back elevator when setting the climb throttle which seemed to help. Perhaps you could try that and take the 'Max Stab Roll RTH' in the Guardian Setup back down to the default 35.

Good luck

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
I just finished building a new FPV rig.. A Twinstar II
I went to maiden it after doing alot of bench testing and putting the plane through it's paces in the simulator.
I'm having problems dialing in RTH.. I can't seem to get it to turn correctly and fly centered somewhat overhead around home and hold elevation as it should.. I can't seem to get the elevator to respond like it should during RTH.. I've done everything that I could think of to get RTH dialed in.. Maybe you guys could help me figure it out.. Here is a video of the flight..

At the end of the video I flip through the safety and guardian configurations so you can see the values...

Your help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks All...

https://vimeo.com/44206670
mentony32 is offline Find More Posts by mentony32
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
This is how I set mine up..

My first Flight set up

Overall Gain set to 0
Fly and trim plane: Land
RESET FAIL/SAFE ( transmitter)
Run Servo Analysis Wizard
Reset Cruise Sticks/Throttle :
Throttle must be at cruise position
Reset Level Pitch and Roll: Use levels : Gain set to 0
Put Stabilizer Overall Gain to 4 to start
Fly
Fly to see the Artificial Horizon Line is right
And flies Level
Ready to start set-up for RTH
Thank you for your help. But now, once the Guardian is setup in the way you stated, and I take it up into the air, and let's say that the battery slips just a small bit or I didnt install it into the exact place as I did when I setup the Guardian, or I have a stronger crosswind then previous flight. Can I still use the radio trim while the guardian is on?
Just like in a full size plane, with each new flight or different conditions, one has to re adjust the trims.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
742 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your help. But now, once the Guardian is setup in the way you stated, and I take it up into the air, and let's say that the battery slips just a small bit or I didnt install it into the exact place as I did when I setup the Guardian, or I have a stronger crosswind then previous flight. Can I still use the radio trim while the guardian is on?
Just like in a full size plane, with each new flight or different conditions, one has to re adjust the trims.
I believe Not. because the Guardian would just adjust that trim out. just like with the battery being off a little the Guardian would compensate for the little unbalance.
I think the idea is to get the off Guardian and on Guardian flying the same.
My expierence with foam planes: from one day to the next can change the trims.
If I put on the Guardian the plane flys OK... with out Guardian the plane may need a little trim but, I just leave it alone as long as the Guardian is compensating.

The maual does say to run the Wizard after retriming the plane.
CAUTION: you can get the ajustments so far out that when the Guardian in on you can lose most of the plane surfaces movement. So when you move the sticks you have little or no movement. Thank to rudder I still have that plane.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,239 Posts
YES!!! That’s what it was “The manual does say to run the Wizard after retriming the plane.”
So let me ask this.
Using a 7 Channel radio configured with the 3 way switch (Up-RTH, Mid and Low-OSD menu) which means the Aux Channel is used for scrolling in OSD. In short all I have is the Gear retract Channel opened.
With that 3 way switch config, is there any way I can assign the on/off Guardian to the retract channel?
Needless to say, being new to FPV flying, I’m just not comfortable enough to go into the OSD menu, scroll and go into the “configure control” sub menu, scroll again and finally turn off the Guardian, all while trying to fly at the same time. I’m just not that efficient yet.
Heck, I get all stressed when during flight I need to go into the Guardian menu to reset the Artificial horizon line.
Speaking of which.
Have yet another question. And please forgive me but I’m going from memory and don’t have the plane or OSD manual at hand.
When I go and turn on the Artificial horizon, the options I see is off, 1-65. I tried 1, 2,3 and 65 but can’t tell if there is a difference.
What is the difference between those numbers?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
742 Posts
Quote:
YES!!! That’s what it was “The manual does say to run the Wizard after retriming the plane.”
So let me ask this.
Using a 7 Channel radio configured with the 3 way switch (Up-RTH, Mid and Low-OSD menu) which means the Aux Channel is used for scrolling in OSD. In short all I have is the Gear retract Channel opened.
With that 3 way switch config, is there any way I can assign the on/off Guardian to the retract channel?
Needless to say, being new to FPV flying, I’m just not comfortable enough to go into the OSD menu, scroll and go into the “configure control” sub menu, scroll again and finally turn off the Guardian, all while trying to fly at the same time. I’m just not that efficient yet.
Heck, I get all stressed when during flight I need to go into the Guardian menu to reset the Artificial horizon line.
Speaking of which.
Have yet another question. And please forgive me but I’m going from memory and don’t have the plane or OSD manual at hand.
When I go and turn on the Artificial horizon, the options I see is off, 1-65. I tried 1, 2,3 and 65 but can’t tell if there is a difference.
What is the difference between those numbers?
this is what the new manual said :
Note: The failsafe positions used by your receiver are detected during the Safety Mode Wizard, so you will need to program your receiver’s throttle failsafe
position before running the Safety Mode Wizard. You must rerun the Safety Mode Wizard after any reprogramming of your radio’s failsafe positions!

So, when I retrim I reset my failsafe then I run the Safety Mode Wizard
I use the 3Way switch but not for RTH. Aux2 iswhat I use for the gain
so connect the aux2 to the switch and see if it works.

the 1-65 are the other pages you can set up.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,239 Posts
Eugene, thank you for all of your help.
I think I will re-configure the 3 way switch per your recommendation for testing and dialing in the Guardian. Once that is done and the Guardian is stable, than I will re-configure it back to RTH.
Thanks again.
Rob
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
I reject your reality... :-)
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Kvistgård
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
Maybe someone her can help i am having trouble setting up an RTH on my SW.

I have setup the failsafe on my TSLRS ( i am using a MPX EVO 9 ) all control surfaces center sticks and no throttle.

then i have run the servo analysis wizzard, until here all good... then actvating flight sim in the menu i can fly around but if i leave throttle center rth engages

I had the idea to do the Carlyle Harper method by using the throttle cut function but that is not working either.

if i unplug the TSLRS TX the plane will go into RTH no problem.

I hope someone can help.

and sorry for my English

/Srolin
srolin is offline Find More Posts by srolin
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Mykro,

increase pitch proportional gain, so it will maintain altitude,

and increase turn proportional gain to tighten up your turns.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
I just finished building a new FPV rig.. A Twinstar II
I went to maiden it after doing alot of bench testing and putting the plane through it's paces in the simulator.
I'm having problems dialing in RTH.. I can't seem to get it to turn correctly and fly centered somewhat overhead around home and hold elevation as it should.. I can't seem to get the elevator to respond like it should during RTH.. I've done everything that I could think of to get RTH dialed in.. Maybe you guys could help me figure it out.. Here is a video of the flight..

At the end of the video I flip through the safety and guardian configurations so you can see the values...

Your help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks All...

https://vimeo.com/44206670
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:15 PM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
1) Make sure you disconnect your motor!

2) Disconnect all your receiver-to-OSD cables except for the Aileron-in port on the OSD, which should connect to your receiver's PPM output. The pinout is standard: top=signal, middle=V+ (not necessary), bottom= ground (not strictly necessary, but a good idea). It is also highly recommended that you disconnect all servos from the OSD Pro servo outputs, until SPPM configuration is complete.

3) Before installing the new software, save your OSD configuration from the OSD setup page. Installing the new software will clear the prior config , due to the internal changes needed for SPPM. Also, as a setup aid, it's a good idea to select the "servo deflections" graphical display at this point.

4) Install the alpha software from here. You should be prompted to update your OSD firmware (this should install OSD Pro firmware 2.61 or later).

5) Reload your old configuration from the OSD configuration page, and close the OSD configuration dialog. Now, on the video screen, you should see the "aileron" channel of the servo deflections display jumping around. If it is not jumping around, that means the serial PPM pulses from your Rx are not reaching the OSD. Radio not turned on?

6) Relaunch the OSD Pro configuration page, and click the "Serial PPM Setup" button (near the bottom of the page). The instructions on the PPM setup page should be self-explanatory. Let me know if there's any confusion. Note that the "pulse train channels" display at the bottom of the page should correctly indicate the # of channels your radio supports, assuming your radio is turned on. If that doesn't look correct, stop, and let me know. NOTE: there should not be a limit to the # of radio channels supported, but the ones mapped to the OSD Pro must be channel 14 or below. If this causes a problem for somebody, let me know.

7) After completing this process, the servo deflections display on the OSD should show the correct movements for each of the radio sticks, and menus should work correctly. In fact, all of your prior settings, including RTH, should work exactly as before. VERIFY this is the case, though! Let me know if you notice anything different.

8) If everything works correctly, reconnect your servos. Be extremely cautious about reconnecting the motor, until you're convinced everything is working reliably. Removing the prop is never a bad idea if you are uncertain.

9) Do thorough ground checks, including letting the model sit for a while to make sure there are no glitches, before considering flying.
Clear and useful. Thanks very much. But --from whence?
Could you point me to the best source for general information about setting up PPM on the eagle tree equipment? Is the firmware version available-- where?
Thanks again,
Jim
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Clear and useful. Thanks very much. But --from whence?
Could you point me to the best source for general information about setting up PPM on the eagle tree equipment? Is the firmware version available-- where?
Thanks again,
Jim
that information is from Eagle Tree.

Also

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/apps.htm

I'm using Beta 10.39

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/manuals.htm
then ... Click on •OSD Pro User Manual

Go down to Serial PPM Support
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Thint1, thanks for posting the video - it should not be switching away from the clearer signal (as you know). I am not sure if that's an issue with the type of antenna, or (probably more likely) something between the EE and the receiver. We have a way now of debugging these types of problems remotely, which we can do if the issue occurs elsewhere.

freshmint, I think the data in the logger is corrupted. is this the first time you've used logging? I'd recommend deleting the recorder's existing log (unless it's important for you to have the flight data) by clicking "data, clear recorder buffer" and seeing if the problem occurs in future flights. Or, if it's info you really need, could you open a ticket with us, and we may be able to help get the data (http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com).

randy, please let me know if you see something similar again.

Kipkool, thanks for your support! We're looking into some possibilities along the lines of what you're suggesting.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
How to get Google Earth to work? When I export earth tracking info from Elogger I don't see any line on the map. It play on GEarth but the tracking line seem to be invisible?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint