HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
In your first post about how to set up triggering RTH you were using the throttle trim, and then after that you are talking about using a mix. I think you really need to decide which method your going to use and stick to that.
How to set up RTH triggering is explained countless times in this thread, it's really hard to help if your not using the method that you enquire about.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:46 PM
You Know What I Mean
LaserBeam's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
915 Posts
Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I got tired of thumbing through 27 pages looking for various things. I typed up this index to help me find things.

Very nice. Thanks balsabuster.
Did you say you got tired of looking for things in manuals? I can relate.

I made the mistake of buying ALL the EAGLE TREE components at the same time.
The learning curve for me is horrendous and i am seeing cables, numeric displays and EagleTree Eagle logos in my sleep.
But i just had to have the Artificial Horizon and the stabilization ... oh and the RTH, and the Speed, Altimeter and RPM .
.. oh wicked, ill have the G-Force sensor too. Oh wow! A GPS! i better get one of those too.
Its going to be great when i get it setup and apparently what doesn't kill me makes me stonger.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
Registered User
balsabuster2004's Avatar
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBeam View Post
Oh wow! A GPS! i better get one of those too.
Its going to be great when i get it setup and apparently what doesn't kill me makes me stonger.
I feel your pain.

Not too excited about artificial horizon. However, the GPS is ESSENTIAL! A MUST HAVE!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:18 AM
ScratchCrasher
sfakias's Avatar
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I feel your pain.

Not too excited about artificial horizon. However, the GPS is ESSENTIAL! A MUST HAVE!
OK my friend, no need to shout!

By the way, the GPS is not essential - you can use the e-logger as standalone and record only some parameters of your flight (voltage, current and throttle position for example, and a few more if you connect some microsensors). GPS is of course essential if you want RTH functionality.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:36 AM
RTFM
octane81's Avatar
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
In your first post about how to set up triggering RTH you were using the throttle trim, and then after that you are talking about using a mix. I think you really need to decide which method your going to use and stick to that.
How to set up RTH triggering is explained countless times in this thread, it's really hard to help if your not using the method that you enquire about.
but what I did wrong was I set failsafe with 50% throttle.... so RTH would never kick in even with -20% on a switch or full negative trim.
The throttle would still be 30% .... im always used to set 50% failsafe throttle when I have RTH , but since the OSD manage throttle I don't need that , that's what made the confusion.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:12 AM
You Know What I Mean
LaserBeam's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
915 Posts
Love It

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I feel your pain.Not too excited about artificial horizon. However, the GPS is ESSENTIAL! A MUST HAVE!

I love the EagleTree gear and thats why i bought a bunch of it.
I just meant it may have been wiser for ME to get the eLogger first and get familiar with it.
Its going to be awesome having the OSD, GPS, G-Force, Atimeter, RPM, Temp, etc when im flying.
Cant wait. GPS will be handy for all sorts of reasons.

Im suprised you dont like the Artificial Horizon. Its a very cool concept and is a pretty darn important gauge in an airplane.
Hoping it will make me feel like a real pilot.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:12 AM
Registered User
Thint1's Avatar
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Do you mean the nose should be raised to an angle of + 3° ?
hi,
no, thatīs wrong!!!! i made a typo-failure!!!

the elevator has to be set to -3° nose down


otherwise you get a negative angle of attack (angle of incidence).

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:17 AM
RTFM
octane81's Avatar
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
no, thatīs wrong!!!! i made a typo-failure!!!

the elevator has to be set to -3° nose down


otherwise you get a negative angle of attack (angle of incidence).

cheers Thomas
yes was thinking that was a type , but i put it 3deg nose up last night... which is clear in this video ,
because the AHI is always below when i don't use the elevator.

However , I almost had a big crash today .... any suggestions why this happened?
Skip to 3:00
Bixler FPV - near crash! (3 min 52 sec)
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:33 AM
Registered User
mamut's Avatar
Romania,Est Europe
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
I think you just stall the plane(ground speed was 17 but if you encounter a small tail wind...)/ lower the guardian to 6 and it will feel better, also check a your plane COG point .
mamut is offline Find More Posts by mamut
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Thint1's Avatar
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
yes was thinking that was a type , but i put it 3deg nose up last night... which is clear in this video ,
because the AHI is always below when i don't use the elevator.

However , I almost had a big crash today .... any suggestions why this happened?
Skip to 3:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpA-q...67AUAAAAAAAAAA
hi Octane,
maybe a "classic" stall followed by loss of the lift on the left wing (possible due aileron input). but iīm not sure about this ... it seems to me that you use gps speed. the airspeed must be more than around 60 going on such a steep dive. so you cantīt count on the speed at the begin of this "aerobatics".
you should reduce the guardianīs gain to improve the stabilisation. i use 8 on a skywalker, which is reacting like a "bus". for that the bixler is more responsive a gain of 6 to 5 may be enough.

did you crash the plane later?

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:27 AM
RTFM
octane81's Avatar
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Ok I will reduce the gain , and also remove a bit of weight from the tail ..

The plane is still in one piece but if I hadn't put rubber bands keeping the pan tilt pod down,
it would 99% be a crash , as the pod would have come loose!
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
At peace with his albatross
wannabe's Avatar
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
yes was thinking that was a type , but i put it 3deg nose up last night... which is clear in this video ,
because the AHI is always below when i don't use the elevator.

However , I almost had a big crash today .... any suggestions why this happened?
Skip to 3:00
http://www.youtbe.com/watch?v=qpA-qc...67AUAAAAAAAAAA
Boy that must have made your heart jump!
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Thint1's Avatar
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Ok I will reduce the gain , and also remove a bit of weight from the tail ..

The plane is still in one piece but if I hadn't put rubber bands keeping the pan tilt pod down,
it would 99% be a crash , as the pod would have come loose!
hi Octane,

the best way will be to reduce the gain to 0 and trim the plane "traditionally".
the guardianīs stabilisation is so well, that you canīt see issues of the plane when the guardian is active.

take the needed 30 minutes and do some short test-flights. i suggest this procedere.

start - control of the glide angle (trimming elevator if needed) - steep descent with followed elevator neutral (watch the planeīs reaction: a smooth curve upwards and then changing to glide is optimal; overshooting and purposing = cog to the back and elevator trim down; dive is getting steeper = cog to the front and elevator up)

if your rc supports a servo monitor: note the elevator values, then set the trims to zero and restore the servodeflections using center adjust ... so you can start every time with the trims in the middle

restore "Pitch & Roll" to tell the osd the new neutral values.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
RTFM
octane81's Avatar
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Ok thanks a lot Thomas .. ive done some changes today and will do more testing tomorrow

Another thing I would like to change is , when im at say 300 meters altitude , and I activate RTH , the plane shuts off the motor and glides down to 200 meters, and once its below 200 meters(199m) it starts the motor again, then when its just over 200m it shuts off again.
This goes on and on , and the home trip takes a lot of time..
Is this normal?

Hmm or when I think of it , I did a "Reset Cruise Sticks & Throtl" without giving it any throttle... could that be the reason?
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Moderately Dangerous
TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Ok thanks a lot Thomas .. ive done some changes today and will do more testing tomorrow

Another thing I would like to change is , when im at say 300 meters altitude , and I activate RTH , the plane shuts off the motor and glides down to 200 meters, and once its below 200 meters(199m) it starts the motor again, then when its just over 200m it shuts off again.
This goes on and on , and the home trip takes a lot of time..
Is this normal?

Hmm or when I think of it , I did a "Reset Cruise Sticks & Throtl" without giving it any throttle... could that be the reason?
Yep, that would be it. It's kind of hard to figure out how much throttle to set it at, unless you really keep an eye on the amount of Amps you're pulling. For me, level flight is around 8-10 amps, so that's where it is set in the RTH configuration. If you frequently fly in windy conditions, you may want to increase that, just to make sure you're making progress when flying into a headwind.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale BRAND New CP Pro/with extra battery stgtech2 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 06, 2006 10:35 PM
New eolo pro glitches with cc60 aschen Electric Heli Talk 24 May 20, 2004 09:12 AM
FS New Piccolo Fun with bearing upgrade and HA tail motor Bud Morrison Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 21, 2004 07:32 PM
For Sale: NEW Pic Pro rotor head with stiffening mod Eco8gator Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 02, 2003 10:16 PM