Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
So I think I solved the reseting OSD. I found a loose servo ground wire. I think that might have been causing some weird interference because after fixing it, the OSD doesn't cut out. This is strange because the servo isn't connected to the OSD in any way shape or form. The ground does run by the GPS wire, so maybe...

I'll fly tomorrow and see what happens.

Ok so the loose wire wasn't the problem.. This only happens when the prop first powers up or the ESC 'beeps' Im really at a loss...
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,048 Posts
Warning: Noob question ahead!

I have a Futaba PCM 72mhz receiver paired with a 6 Channel Futaba TX6AS Tx. My On Screen Menu On/Off is dedicated to Ch5, and my selector to CH1 (shared with rudder). 30% rudder is mixed in with ailerons, FWIW.

My question is about the RTH activation with the PCM failsafe. I want to use the "“1 FS Chn" even though my radio supports multiple failsafe channels. Should I set all channels on failsafe mode to "HOLD", and just the one channel to a failsafe position? or should I just use the "3+ FS Chns" with the sticks zero'd? What happens if I trim one of those channels in flight and want to test RTH? Even though I'm on 72mhz, I'd rather not switch the Tx completely off to invoke RTH mode.

Ideally, I'd like to set the throtlle as my RTH activator. I have a bit of up trim on my throttle by default, so when it's shut off and trim is lowered all the way that should work fine. Will disabling the failsafe settings on the other radio channels enable this?
TwoHeadsBrewing is online now Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,356 Posts
Set throttle failsafe to trimmed all of the way down, (or where RTH is activated)

Other channels, I just consider it a good practice to set the failsafes for level flight.

You can set it to one channel, and it will detect the throttle as your RTH activating failsafe.

check it on the ground by turning your radio off, and make sure that signal loss activates RTH, but (BE AWARE OF THE PROP), it shouldn't start up, but you never know.

Then check the carlisle method and make sure that it activates RTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Warning: Noob question ahead!

I have a Futaba PCM 72mhz receiver paired with a 6 Channel Futaba TX6AS Tx. My On Screen Menu On/Off is dedicated to Ch5, and my selector to CH1 (shared with rudder). 30% rudder is mixed in with ailerons, FWIW.

My question is about the RTH activation with the PCM failsafe. I want to use the "“1 FS Chn" even though my radio supports multiple failsafe channels. Should I set all channels on failsafe mode to "HOLD", and just the one channel to a failsafe position? or should I just use the "3+ FS Chns" with the sticks zero'd? What happens if I trim one of those channels in flight and want to test RTH? Even though I'm on 72mhz, I'd rather not switch the Tx completely off to invoke RTH mode.

Ideally, I'd like to set the throtlle as my RTH activator. I have a bit of up trim on my throttle by default, so when it's shut off and trim is lowered all the way that should work fine. Will disabling the failsafe settings on the other radio channels enable this?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,786 Posts
G'day folks,

I've been testing out my RTH lately and when activated, it turns back the right way but it puts itself into a pretty steep nose dive that I have to pull up out of. I am using the round about settings that Thint1 has posted in the guardian thread. I'm flying with a Skywalker and have done the servo wizard with the figures I have notated to a mate whilst I'm flying.

I did lower the pitch proportional gain but the wind came up strong before I could test it again.

Is there anything I can check ect? Or should I take a photo of my settings to help out?

Cheers,

Alan.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:56 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
G'day folks,

I've been testing out my RTH lately and when activated, it turns back the right way but it puts itself into a pretty steep nose dive that I have to pull up out of. I am using the round about settings that Thint1 has posted in the guardian thread. I'm flying with a Skywalker and have done the servo wizard with the figures I have notated to a mate whilst I'm flying.

I did lower the pitch proportional gain but the wind came up strong before I could test it again.

Is there anything I can check ect? Or should I take a photo of my settings to help out?

Cheers,

Alan.
hi Alan,

there are more than one possibilities which may cause a dive. letīs try to figure this out. iīll write down mostly all possibilities, pls use this like a checklist.

setup of the skywalker:
your skywalker does a gentle gliding in the moment the throttle is cut and the sticks are neutral? no ... correct the elevator trim, reset "pitch and roll". and save the new neutrals to failsafe.
your sw does a gentle climb, without any purposing after a dive and then sticks to neutral? no .... correct the cog and redo the elevator trim (climbout to excessive = cog back, elevator down), reset "pitch and roll". and save the new neutrals to failsafe.
your sw does a gentle climb after applying throttle? no ... correct the motor-angle (climbout too excessive = tilt the motor axis down)

setup oft the osd/rth and failsafe:
check the failsafe. if you switch to failsafe/rth the rudders should stay in their neutral position! if not store the failsafe to your new neutral positions.
the ahi is almost aligned to the center of the screen if you fly with a throttle position for level flight (cruise)? no ... reset pitch and roll. i do this not in flight. place the skywalker on the floor, bring the wings to a horizontal level (y-axis) and the elevator (x-axis) to be 3° up on the leading edge. donīt forget to bring the throttle-stick to the "cruise" position.
the throttle sets are o.k? zero should be zero, cruise should be the amount of throttle where the sw flies in level, climb should be the amount where the sw does a gentle climbout (in most cases not full throttle! a climbout with lower than 30° is enough).

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:45 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,786 Posts
Hmmm, see the plane will glide very well with zero throttle and when I apply throttle it will cruise straight aswell. It doesn't nose down or up on cruise, if I apply more throttle it will nose down slightly then I will apply light up elevator to level out. I have noticed that when I engage RTH the throttle does go up more than it needs to. Does this mean I have too much throttle for cruise during the wizard? And should I re-run the wizard and use less throttle for cruise? I just want it to fly level cause it is turning the right way home!
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hmmm, see the plane will glide very well with zero throttle and when I apply throttle it will cruise straight aswell. It doesn't nose down or up on cruise, if I apply more throttle it will nose down slightly then I will apply light up elevator to level out. I have noticed that when I engage RTH the throttle does go up more than it needs to. Does this mean I have too much throttle for cruise during the wizard? And should I re-run the wizard and use less throttle for cruise? I just want it to fly level cause it is turning the right way home!
hi Alan,

for a good working RTH the plane have to fly in normal mode perfect!
if you increase throttle the plane have to climb ... not to dive!

for the next step pls tilt your motor-axis up.
if your motor mount is like a "+" add 4shims (equal to app. 2mm) at the top and 2 shims on both horizontal mounting points.
if the mounting is like an "x" add 3 shims to the upper 2 points.
maybe thatīs too much, but at this moment more is better to watch the reaction.
the goal is to bring the plane in a gentle climb for 75% throttle. 30° will be fine.

the next step will be to watch the best throttle pos. for cruise and climb and store them to the osd.

cheers Thomas
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:17 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
I just bought an eagle tree pro setup complete but when i hook up the usb to configure it keeps telling me that the osd is not conected.But when i grab mys mates it works fine.Mine is brand new out of the box today.

can anyone help me with this problem please

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
194 Posts
hello...just starting to play with my OSD PRO PKG. would someone please inform what the on screen message "pan zero angle saved!" is trying to tell me. the message stays on...and never times out. i'd like to turn it off (and know what it is). help please!
thanks in advance
robert
rbtgold is online now Find More Posts by rbtgold
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,048 Posts
Are all the altitude measurements in the configuration screens absolute, or are they relative to the starting GPS location? I my starting elevation is 1000ft and a want a cruising altitude of 1000ft above the deck, does this setting need to be 2000ft? I assume so, but I just want to clarify.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Are all the altitude measurements in the configuration screens absolute, or are they relative to the starting GPS location? I my starting elevation is 1000ft and a want a cruising altitude of 1000ft above the deck, does this setting need to be 2000ft? I assume so, but I just want to clarify.
hi,
all altitudes are relative to the "home". home is the place of the first fix after power on or the place of the reset.
in your case you have to set 1000ft.

cheers Thomas
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
IMHO, a RTH alt of 1000' is crazy high. Are you going to be able to see your plane when its circling above you?
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
IMHO, a RTH alt of 1000' is crazy high. Are you going to be able to see your plane when its circling above you?
That was just an example. My RTH will be set for 300-400 feet.

Another question: If I'm at say 2000 feet and engage the RTH which is set at cruise altitude of 400 feet, can I program it to glide rather than use elevator to descend to that altitude?

The primary reason I'd like this is for battery consumption. I'd like to just float down and use my battery. The other reason is that I will be flying near the Sierra Nevada foothills that gently rise to around 1200 feet within a 5 mile distance from where I'm flying. I don't want to set a cruising altitude of 1200 feet, but a gentle glide down to 400 feet would take me down into the valley without crashing into hills.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,261 Posts
hi,
greg is right
set the cruise to 1000ft and the home to 300ft at a home radius of 600ft

cheers Thomas
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
126 Posts
deleted
999vertigo is offline Find More Posts by 999vertigo
Last edited by 999vertigo; May 21, 2012 at 06:14 PM.