HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
I opted for the cheaper DIY solution for an RC video switch, using this rc controlled switch and a 6V relay switch from the local electronics shop (cost about $1).

I attach the electrical wiring diagram that shows how I connected the two. Note that the OSD info is overlayed only on the 12V FPV cam video, and not on the video from the point and shoot cam. The final result is a little bulkier that the ready made video switch, mainly because of the size of the relay.

It works great!
For anyone interested, I just realized that the wiring diagram that I had attached in my above post was wrong because I really connect the video switch after the OSD (between the OSD and the A/V TX), and not before the OSD, as the originally posted diagram shows. I do this because I do not want the OSD data overlayed on the point and shoot cam video feed.

I attach here the correct wiring diagram.

On a side note, there were reports that some video switches cause problems when used with the OSD. Mine does not, but I suppose that may have to do with the positioning of the switch before or after the OSD.

Regards.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Billpa, glad to have you back - happy new year to you too! Hard earned holidays are essential to recharge your batteries, and I am sure your family needs you almost as much as we do !

Can you please let us know which is the max voltage that the middle pin of the temp input of the OSD can accept without the need for a (15kΩ or whatever) resistor?

Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
sfakias,

could you post the relay that you used?

Thanks

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
sfakias,

could you post the relay that you used?

Thanks

-Mike
Hi Mike,

I bought the relay from my local electronics shop, so I do not have a link for it. In the first photo that I attach, you can see the printed label on it.

It is a 6V relay, but it works fine at 5V too (or about 4.8V that the rc rx has). It has five pins: Two of them are for the armature coil, and I connect them with +5V and ground from the rc rx, through the turnigy rc switch. One pin is for the video output connection, and the rest two pins are for the two video input connections. When the relay is not activated, one input is connected with the output, and when I give 5V to the coil and the relay is activated, the other input is connected to the output pin. The connectors coming out of the final assembly are:
-a servo connector for the turnigy rc switch (also provides power to the relay)
-a four terminal female connector with audio, video, +12V and ground wires from the OSD (coming from the FPV cam)
-a four terminal male connector with audio, video, +12V and ground wires which goes to the A/V tx
-a RCA connector (signal and ground) that connects to the point and shoot cam (common ground with the rest of the components). Note: I hate onboard RCA connectors too, but I did not want to modify the point and shoot cam wire.

I have set up the system in such way that in the case of signal loss the FPV cam feed is selected. The audio is just a pass through, always coming from the onboard mic.

I also attach two pics of the assembly, and a pic of the final product, incorporating the sophisticated packaging of fibre reinforced sticky tape .

Regards,
Stavros
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2008
18 Posts
Hello!

I have a pro osd with a gardian osd
I have a radio with Futaba 6EX with a dragon link
I use a switch (CH 5) to access the MENU
I use another switch (CH6) for selection
I want to know how to
Example: I am flying and I lost the receipt of the video
If I trim my throttle - 20% does my rth engaged
Would you have a solution
help help me !!
eegloo74 is offline Find More Posts by eegloo74
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post

thekubiaks, that's a harrowing flight! Re your altimeter V4 issue, what I believe is happening is that the OSD is still configured for the altimeter V3. If you connect the OSD to USB, with the altimeter V4 connected, the software will detect the V4 altimeter automatically, when you run the OSD Pro configuration page. Note that when configured, the altimeter V4 will show almost no variation when sitting still. I have to move it up and down sometimes to convince myself that it's actually connected.

Billpa,
Thank you for the reply. when I installed the new V4 Altimeter, the first thing I did was run the firmware control manager. It identified the altimeter as the version 4. I updated the firmware to version 1.06.

When I flew, the altimeter was exactly backwards as I gained altitude. As I climbed through 200 feet, the altimeter displayed -200. As I climbed through 400 feet, the altimeter displayed negative 400 feet. Very strange. Any other ideas?? I did a factory reset but still got the same behaviour.

In the Altimeter manual, you mentioned a Ram Air Chamber, can you explain that one?? Thanks.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Jan 11, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Anyone else have an issue where you can't enter custom text for RSSI? I am using temp sensor A for RSSI, and the RSSI value shows up on the OSD, but there is no label in the block after selecting the location, and when I try to type in the text I want in the "enter OSD screen name for the parameter", it just beeps and doesn't let me type any characters in it.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
264 Posts
Hi, new to the forum and just starting to set up my OSD.

Question: the GPS module is supposed to be mounted with the label pointing upwards, but then the LED which is at the bottom of the pc board disappears....

What I am getting wrong?
jackheli is offline Find More Posts by jackheli
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
I've installed the OSD Pro on my hexa one that I took off my camera plane. My question is: Is there a problem with positioning the GPS antenna on the top side of one of the aluminum booms with the flight RX directly underneath? Since they are both receivers and of different types, I would think that should be OK? I have them on the front boom with the VTX on the rear boom, giving the greatest separation from the VTX.

-Ellis
Ellis108 is offline Find More Posts by Ellis108
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
KK4CCD
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Apr 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Anyone else have an issue where you can't enter custom text for RSSI? I am using temp sensor A for RSSI, and the RSSI value shows up on the OSD, but there is no label in the block after selecting the location, and when I try to type in the text I want in the "enter OSD screen name for the parameter", it just beeps and doesn't let me type any characters in it.
I just changed mine to Sig and it worked fine.
Using 10.13 Data Recorder
avi8tor0 is offline Find More Posts by avi8tor0
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Can someone take a look at their OSD Pro and tell me how the video and audio out connections are oriented? Do the black wires go towards the pcb side like the video and audio in? The little paper under the shrink wrap is worn and impossible to read.

-Ellis
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis108 View Post
Can someone take a look at their OSD Pro and tell me how the video and audio out connections are oriented? Do the black wires go towards the pcb side like the video and audio in? The little paper under the shrink wrap is worn and impossible to read.

-Ellis
The pins closest to the PCB (on both sides) are GND or black if you like.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis108 View Post

-Ellis
Your correct the negative is always closest to the PCB board
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli View Post
Hi, new to the forum and just starting to set up my OSD.

Question: the GPS module is supposed to be mounted with the label pointing upwards, but then the LED which is at the bottom of the pc board disappears....

What I am getting wrong?
that is right. but on mine the LED will be seen because the GPS has a little space under it,by the LED. The LED can be seen on the side of the GPS.
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
go into the firmware, osd display page. click on pack volt display, and below you will see the alarm settings.
Thanks you!
Ellis