SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:11 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi sfakias,

pls use small servo deflections during the wizzard. if you use no guardian, these deflections will be used to control rth .... and your turns will end in the "spiral of death". Rabe2002 made a nice video of this, youŽll find it on the first pages of this thread.

sorry Mike ... full servo deflections during the wizzard is only for use with the guardian (rtfm).

cheers Thomas
Read the following from the manual.... You could still end up with a spiral of death if you don't have enough servo deflection.. I emphasized in bold text where the confusion seems to be... IMHO of course..

Mov Rudder/Aileron Stick Left: How much you move the Aileron (or rudder) stick during this menu item depends on whether you are using the
Guardian.
If you are using the Guardian, move the stick all the way to the left (see Guardian manual for more information). If you are not using
Guardian, the following information applies:

Move your Rudder/Aileron stick to the position you use for making a normal left turn. Don’t give more left stick than you would do normally
during flight!
The OSD Pro’s RTH function will never exceed the rudder/aileron left turn stick position you set here, or the corresponding right turn position, when it attempts to steer the model. So, the amount of left stick you supply will set the maximum throw of the aileron/rudder during RTH. NOTE: during this step, the OSD Pro also examines the elevator position. If your radio is programmed for elevator aileron mixing, it will be detected during this step, and a proportional amount of up elevator will be applied during RTH turns. If your radio does not do this mixing,
but you desire RTH to provide up elevator when turning, move your elevator stick to the desired amount of climb (corresponding to full
Aileron/rudder stick left) during this step.

· Mov Elev TX STICK Down(Climb): How much you move the Elevator stick during this menu item depends on whether you are using the Guardian. If
you are using the Guardian, move the stick all the way down (see Guardian manual for more information). If you are not using Guardian, the
following information applies:

Move the Elevator stick downwardly, to the position you would use for normal climb. Don’t give more down stick (climb) than you would do
normally during flight!
Note that this step results in up-elevator. The OSD Pro’s RTH function will never exceed this elevator up position, or
the corresponding elevator down position, when it attempts to climb or descend the model. So,
the amount of down stick you supply will set the maximum throw of the elevator during RTH.
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Jan 08, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Thomas and Mykro thank you for pointing this out. Indeed I was not using full stick left or up during the servo analysis wizard, since this was stated in the manual, and it seemed to be the best thing to do.

However because the control surfaces deflections were set up to be quite high at maximum stick input, I had to use less than 10% (maybe just 5%) of the available stick input during the servo analysis wizard. Therefore, the servo positions between no deflection and maximum deflection used by the OSD were very few, resulting at low resolution, and making things happen not progressively at all.

I already changed the servo linkages in such a way that I think I will have to use about 50-60% of the full stick deflection next time I run the servo analysis wizard. This can only improve the situation!

The aerobatic capabilities of my plane are now impaired, but you can not have the best of both worlds. Anyway, the more equipment I was adding to this plane, I found that I was doing less and less hammerheads and knife edge passes.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Anyway, the more equipment I was adding to this plane, I found that I was doing less and less hammerheads and knife edge passes.
*chuckle*

Yes, I've found the same thing. Try this relaxed version for a bit and see if it helps you debug and improve your RTH...then you can begin adding some throw back in as you get it locked down.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Does this explanation help anyone??

I couldn't figure out how to setup a failsafe switch on my futaba 9cap until reading this reply...

This setup works perfect.. took less than a minute to configure in my radio...

Hope this helps...

Michael
Thanks for the info I will give it a try
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Thint / Mykro

Thanks for pointing that out...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:55 AM
Portugal, Lisboa
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Osd pro

Hi fellow pilots

Just got the OSD PRO with Guardian stab module in my EZ Glider

Some questions if anyone could help:

- The voice alerts are very difficult to ear with all the noise from the camera, I would like to turn down the volume from the camera and turn up the volume for the warning alerts, how can I do this? I am using the GOPRO for recording and FPV.

- I have configured the OSD menu with one spare channel on a 3 pos switch in my Futaba 9C to acess all the settings. Sometimes when flying, if the RTH is activated by glitches, or sometimes even whitout RTH activated, the menu comes up in the screen whitout me touching any switch .. can anyone help me on this one?

- Downloaded the Itelemetry app for Iphone and ordered the cable to connect. Just tried it for the first time, but the plane icon does not move, cable connected to the audio exit of Eagle tree video station .. wondering if anyone has a fix for this? The GPS gets the fixing and the coordinates appear on the OSd screen, but on Iphone ... nothing!

- Finally, just wondering if anyone in the forum is flying the EZ Glider with this OSD and Guardian module, can you post the stabilization and RTH settings for me to try it out?

Thanks in advance ... here is my first FPV video with this plane and OSD system:

EZ Glider 2nd attempt - FPV (5 min 48 sec)
grijoti is offline Find More Posts by grijoti
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:20 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Are you running the latest firmware, glitches has been sorted out as far as I know,

ITelemetry is for EZOSD, not Eagletree,

Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Ok heres my big list of everything ive ever wanted to know (thus far) but have been too lazy to search!

#1 My altitude is set to zero on launch, what if i launch from a hill and fly downward ... it just shows in the negatives?

#2 Will GPS altitude show me how high I am above stuff .... like if i fly 200m above a hill that is 536m ASL will it show 200, 736 or just whatever it is relative to my launch point.

#3 Why does it seem like my plane now does not want to RTH (looks like it isnt interested!) even though i had it working well last week and i only changed the cruise height? *(well i think thats all *

And well that concludes my current wonderments!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:27 AM
Portugal, Lisboa
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
Are you running the latest firmware, glitches has been sorted out as far as I know,

ITelemetry is for EZOSD, not Eagletree,

Dion
Thanks for your reply!

I am using the latest firmware:
- eLogger version 1.15
- OSD Pro version 2.51
- Guardian version 1.19

As for the Iphone app .. to bad, my mistake, thought this app was for the OSD PRO. This is a must do for the developers of this OSD !
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:31 AM
Portugal, Lisboa
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv View Post
Ok heres my big list of everything ive ever wanted to know (thus far) but have been too lazy to search!

#1 My altitude is set to zero on launch, what if i launch from a hill and fly downward ... it just shows in the negatives?

#2 Will GPS altitude show me how high I am above stuff .... like if i fly 200m above a hill that is 536m ASL will it show 200, 736 or just whatever it is relative to my launch point.

#3 Why does it seem like my plane now does not want to RTH (looks like it isnt interested!) even though i had it working well last week and i only changed the cruise height? *(well i think thats all *

About the altitude, I think the OSD PRO GPS measures the altitude from above sea level, so the altitude it shows is relative to the sea level.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:50 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:

I'm too lazy to answer..
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:01 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:

hi,

to 1 and 2.) the altitude, regardless if the baro or gps measurement, is always shown in feet (meters) from the home-point. the displays shows negative values if the plane flies below this point.

to 3.) funny! ... are you sure, that you changed only the height? restore to your last settings

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grijoti View Post
About the altitude, I think the OSD PRO GPS measures the altitude from above sea level, so the altitude it shows is relative to the sea level.
The GPS altitude data recorded in the eLogger is GPS altitude above sea level. But, the OSD remembers the GPS altitude when the Home position is set and then calculates and displays the altitude above the home reset point. If you're using the pressure altitude expander then the pressure altitude in both the eLogger and OSD is the altitude above the home reset point. I've never gone lower than the reset point but I believe the OSD will display negative altitude.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Last edited by Floater73; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Oops! Thomas already answered this...
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
Nothing but high quality
United States, CT, Glastonbury
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
I removed my BEC from the plane entirely, and it is definitely the problem. Call up castle, they said they'd replace the BEC for $10 but none of the other components . Video of the BEC coming soon.

Jon
Dadude is offline Find More Posts by Dadude
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude View Post
I removed my BEC from the plane entirely, and it is definitely the problem. Call up castle, they said they'd replace the BEC for $10 but none of the other components . Video of the BEC coming soon.

Jon
That's why I disabled my BEC and susbstituted with a 4.8 volt battery. I don't trust 'em.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004