Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2010
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I've just about got RTH dialed, on the wing;

it's very close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkNOYrYLi8
Looks like RTH is "good enough". Time to fly to the top of that mountain and back.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
What Tx are you using?
Quote:

it's very close
Nice. I was watching this going...huh...that looks a lot like North Salt Lake area...then saw your location. Sweet place to fly. I've always thought that would be an amazing place to do some steep FPV mountain descents...
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Nice. I was watching this going...huh...that looks a lot like North Salt Lake area...then saw your location. Sweet place to fly. I've always thought that would be an amazing place to do some steep FPV mountain descents...
If you can get over the inferior road construction, selfish drivers, and increasing taxes, it's a real nice place to live.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Have a question. Is there a way to set RTH without throttle? I have a glow powered fpv & don't want the throttle closing to turn on RTH. If I set it for the lowest throttle to keep the engine running it wants to engage as I'm trying to land. If I bring my throttle up to stop RTH, I can't land as the throttle is to hi. Can I use like full throttle to set RTH?
Thanks Marc.
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
Have a question. Is there a way to set RTH without throttle? I have a glow powered fpv & don't want the throttle closing to turn on RTH. If I set it for the lowest throttle to keep the engine running it wants to engage as I'm trying to land. If I bring my throttle up to stop RTH, I can't land as the throttle is to hi. Can I use like full throttle to set RTH?
Thanks Marc.
hi Marc,

unfortunatelly the rth is triggered with the failsafe of the throttle channel ... normally is the faisafe "throttle cut".
but there is a possibility to cheat the system if you use a receiver which stores all channel positions at failsafe (like my spectrum receivers) and if you use a tx with the possibility to assign the sticks to different channels.
plug the throttle to a free channel on your receiver and store your throttle position you like for rth. assign the thtrottle-stick to the same channel.

rth will not control the throttle. if you have a real failsafe, the plane will return with the set throttle position. if you switch to rth, you will control the throttle with the tx.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Quote:

it's very close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkNOYrYLi8
Great! Let me know your settings when your done as I'm about to install the whole system on my Hercules wing. I need the head start
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Thomas
So I don't plug my throttle into the osd? Right ? I'm using the thomas LRS. It does set all channels for fail safe.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Marc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi Marc,

unfortunatelly the rth is triggered with the failsafe of the throttle channel ... normally is the faisafe "throttle cut".
but there is a possibility to cheat the system if you use a receiver which stores all channel positions at failsafe (like my spectrum receivers) and if you use a tx with the possibility to assign the sticks to different channels.
plug the throttle to a free channel on your receiver and store your throttle position you like for rth. assign the thtrottle-stick to the same channel.

rth will not control the throttle. if you have a real failsafe, the plane will return with the set throttle position. if you switch to rth, you will control the throttle with the tx.

cheers Thomas
I do not see a reason why you can not use Carlyle method, but with the throttle value assigned to the switch at +120%, instead of -120%.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
So you think it can work going to full throttle. I'll try it. I never use full throttle, so if I can use the Charlie method, but to go to full, that would be nice. Also what step in the RTH wizard would I use the switch, when it asks to have the motor shut off?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
So you think it can work going to full throttle. I'll try it. I never use full throttle, so if I can use the Charlie method, but to go to full, that would be nice. Also what step in the RTH wizard would I use the switch, when it asks to have the motor shut off?
No, you should use it when it asks to turn off the tx. However, it depends whether your rc has failsafe on the throttle channel. Mine does not (Turnigy 9X V2), and when the wizard asks to turn off the tx, I flip the switch that I have programmed -120% throttle (+120% in your case, or even +100%, if you never use full throttle during normal flight) and turn off the tx. I am not sure why, but it works fine: RTH kicks in by flipping the switch in flight (message on OSD is something like "failsafe detected") and it also kicks in if I get out of range or I turn off my tx (message on OSD is something like "too many rx glitches" or something.)

In any case, if in doubt, search this thread for the carlyle method to familiarise whith the setup procedure, and of course do tests in the simulator and on the ground before actually trying it while flying.

Good luck - let us know how it went!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:49 PM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
OK, to save you some time searching through this minuscule () thread, find below some posts regarding the Carlyle method, written by other users in this thread. I apologize, but I can not reference which the exact users were, since these are from a .doc that I compiled by copying and pasting significant replies when I was reading through this thread.
Here we go:

--------------------------------------------
The Carlyle method:
1) set only 1 failsafe channel in osd - must be throttle, your rc receiver must have a throttle failsafe
2) program rc receiver throttle failsafe to something less than you would normally encounter during normal flight, it might be negative or might not, stick must be all the way down
3) put this exact setting on a switch
4) re-run safety wizard in osd
5) when the wizard asks you to off transmitter and you do so, the receiver will go to that throttle failsafe and the osd will record it as the sole trigger for rth
6) now, during normal flight all you got to do is lower your throttle stick all the way down and throw the switch, bam, the osd goes into rth mode
--------------------------------------------

I'd like to suggest to anybody having trouble with RTH disengaging using the Carlyle method, you shouldn't need to set the throttle travel as great as -150% or -100%. I think you only need as much as 110%.
The way that I set it up is by using a custom mix program on my radio. Set up a mix of the throttle into its-self. That is, mix throttle into throttle controlled by a two way switch. Set it up such that with the mix switch in one position the throttle travel at idle is 0%, then when the switch is toggled the throttle travel goes to negative 10%.
Set your throttle trim to 0.
It is then important to store this setting into the failsafes of your transmitter because the OSD pro has to see the same setting on the throttle when you force the OSD into RTH by Carlyle method, or if the OSD sees your RC receiver in Failsafe.
To store the setting in your Tx, flick the switch so you have -10% throttle travel and set all you failsafes.
So, once you have the RTH setting set in the Failsafes, run the OSD Safety Wizard.
Put your RTH switch back to the normal flight position first.
You don't need to operate the switch during running the Safety wizard.
When you get to the part of turning your Tx off, the Rx will go into Failsafe and the OSD will see your throttle go to -10% and be memorised by your OSD.
Keep going through the rest of the wizard.
So now, only when the throttle stick is at idle and your RTH switch at normal flight position, you should have a 0% throttle travel. If you flick the switch to RTH position, and still with the throttle stick at idle, you should now have a throttle travel of -10%.
And because you set this setting into the failsafe positions, if you turn your Tx off you will still have a -10% throttle position.
----------------------------------------------------
-Very good, except the way I did it is to set a condition on a switch and for that condition re-adjust ATV for the throttle to something lower than required for motor off. The rest goes as you described it. Store this new atv in the failsafe. When the wizard asks you to turn off your tx, doing so puts the rx in fs letting the osd record the failsafe condition. Now you can go straight to it with the swtich.
-----------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you had the carlyle method working before. Just to summarize 1) you bind your receiver with throttle travel or endpoint set way lower than you would reach in normal flight (ie way lower than the normal zero throttle position), this then sets your failsafe throttle position. How you specifically set this may vary by transmitter make etc.
2) you then return the throttle travel or endopoint to normal on your transmitter.
3) you set your "trainer switch" or whatever switch to reproduce the very low throttle setting you achieved during receiver failsafe binding. You can be accurate about this if you use a servo tester or if you look at the throttle values in the OSD display to ensure the values match. There is an option to display servo deflections.
at this point if you are looking at the throttle channel out put either on the OSD display or a servo tester, it should show the same value when you turn off the transmitter as when you flip the RTH switch with transmitter on. That same low value should be lower than the normal zero throttle value by a safe margin. IF it is not then the problem is with this step and you may have to adjust how you set failsafe based on your particular transmitter / receiver manual etc. ifRTH switch and transmitter off throttle values are the same, then this part is good and you proceed to the safety mode wizard to have the OSD pro memorize the various failsafe and stick positions. Make sure the RTH switch is not engage during the safety mode wizard. failsafe position is memorized when you turn off the transmitter.
if RTH does not engage / disengage correctly after doing this or especially if it works the first time, but doesn;t work after resetting your receiver then make sure you are using FIXED endpoints for throttle in the ESC settings. this point threw me for a curve for some time before I realized I had forgotten to set this on a castle esc which defaults to auto endpoints. auto endopoints will not allow the carlyle method to work - This produces symptoms that seem very much like what you describe
--------------------------------------------------

I hope the above helped
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:06 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
I got it to work by using full throttle. Also set my fail safe on my tx to full throttle. So it at least turns on RTH. I'll have to see what happens in the air tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Marc
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
ScratchCrasher
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
I got it to work by using full throttle. Also set my fail safe on my tx to full throttle. So it at least turns on RTH. I'll have to see what happens in the air tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Marc
I am glad you made it work. I hope all is good tomorrow.
However, please, be careful: Falisafe at full throttle requires extra caution!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
The Netherlands, OV, Steenwijk
Joined Apr 2011
71 Posts
RTH for IC engine

Hello Marc,
There is still another possibility to use the RTH option. You should chose "Option C" in the user manual to activate the RTH. Make a search for "Otion C" in the user manual. This should be a way safer option in case of accidentally switching off the transmitter or loosing the radio link.

Good luck.
VRquaeler is offline Find More Posts by VRquaeler
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
I thought of option C. But I like to be able to adjust my guardian on the aux 2.