Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:11 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
I crashed the twinstar in the same time frame my buddy died last night of a heart attack
Our thoughts are with You, your buddy, his friends and family.

Chuck.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:47 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
I have been getting some odd warnings on my Data Recorder pc screen thing ...
ERROR: Turbine Temperature too high!

I get a lot of these warnings and not sure if it is also taking up some of my logger space with them. I dont have a turbine!! Lol

I do have the temp A as RSSI and Temp B as a vid battery pack voltage ... i assume it is that one that is causing the problem.
Also not sure what settings i need to put in for the min and max values for this econd battery ... it seems to be more a percentage thing and not a volt thing. I put max as 12.6 and low as 11.6 and it went back to 12 and 11 respectivley.

Any help on these would be awesome!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:51 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
Got everything working pretty well... now I just need to build a new airframe. I have a buddy who is a licensed tree climber, and he was able to get it this morning after it was up there over night. Lets just say the downlink off the new GoPro2 may be better... but I didn't see that tree until I was in it!! It didn't rain all night and then of course it rained this morning before he could get it down. The expensive stuff including Eagle Tree OSD w/ guardian, GoPro2, vtx, control rx, speed controls, motors and BECs is all out of the deadstar and drying out in mason jars with rice... pretty weird, I crashed the twinstar in the same time frame my buddy died last night of a heart attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBan...1&feature=plcp
Nice video. Love the parts flying off, captured in full slo-mo HD.

Sorry about your buddy. I'm assuming the certified tree climber is a DIFFERENT buddy. Just curious, but how do you become a "certified tree climber"?
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:23 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv View Post
Also not sure what settings i need to put in for the min and max values for this econd battery ... it seems to be more a percentage thing and not a volt thing. I put max as 12.6 and low as 11.6 and it went back to 12 and 11 respectivley.

Any help on these would be awesome!
Enter 126 and 116. No decimal points.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Nice video. Love the parts flying off, captured in full slo-mo HD.

Sorry about your buddy. I'm assuming the certified tree climber is a DIFFERENT buddy. Just curious, but how do you become a "certified tree climber"?
yeah, My friend who died was not the same guy who got the plane down. He was one of the inventors of the Windcrafter airship project, and a very close friend. (please google for videos if you are curious, I don't want to drag this thread too far off topic)

Here in Oregon they take the trees pretty seriously, you have to get a certified arborist to trim your tree by law in many of the towns around here, and those guys have to get certified to do the work... http://www.isa-arbor.com/certificati...Explained.aspx

The plane was 50feet up at the top of an Oak, I was doubtful he could get it, but he was able to get up there and get it all down in less than 20 mins with no more damage than what it took hitting the tree...
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapi2 View Post
If you run the 10.13 Alpha, in the Firmware Section, there are some products names that are not on 10.04 release...
well then what is it ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatula

weird name ....
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
865 Posts
Incredibly lucky flight

I had the luckiest flight ever yesterday. Without too much detail I'll tell you my lessons learned.

First, what is the worst item to lose while doing FPV and when??

ans....... GPS at the furthest point out.

Second question : What do you lose if you lose GPS ??

ans..... RTH Heading Altitude Distance and EagleEyes antenna tracking

Lessons learned :

If you are doing FPV, don't venture out too far unless you check the HDOP of your Sats. In my case, I always had rock solid 10 Sats and HDOP < 1.0 but today for some reason it was down to 5 Sats and HDOP at 3.3 and slowly degrading (I didn't pay attention to it because a degraded HDOP is usually temporary)

If you lose your GPS, don't panic as long as you have video. Fortunately when I lost the video, I had my Yagi pointed right at the plane and had a good RSSI reading.

I noticed that directly behind the yagi was the sun I noticed that my strongest RSSI was directly opposite of the west edge of the sun. So I slowly turned the plane around and the Guardian did a nice job of heading hold on the right edge of the sun for as many minutes as I flew outbound. While I hoped the model was flying home, I used the Yagi and RSSI to verify the signal getting stronger and bearing roughly correct.

After what seemed like an eternity, the RSSI was up to 94 and the bearing was still good. One minute later, I saw the plane about 500 feet West of my centerline What incredible luck.

I thought the flight was over. I saw the plane, took over manually, but time for another lesson.

DON'T TRIM WHILE YOU ARE USING GUARDIAN STABILIZATION

In my case as the plane was flying along with stabilization, I was trying to trim it. The Guardian simply compensated. What happened when I visually reacquired the plane and turned off the stabilization is all of the trim I had input kicked in and the plane went into a death spiral. I nearly hit the trees as the plane rolled over. I now know how many G's a Skywalker can pull without folding the wings.

So, I got my plane back without a scratch, but I still don't know what degraded my GPS ?? I went home and checked everything and got 6 sats immediately from my basement?? It was 30 degrees F during my flight, I wonder if the GPS froze ??

Time for a beer.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Dec 27, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
I had the luckiest flight ever yesterday. Without too much detail I'll tell you my lessons learned.

DON'T TRIM WHILE YOU ARE USING GUARDIAN STABILIZATION

In my case as the plane was flying along with stabilization, I was trying to trim it. The Guardian simply compensated. What happened when I visually reacquired the plane and turned off the stabilization is all of the trim I had input kicked in and the plane went into a death spiral. I nearly hit the trees as the plane rolled over. I now know how many G's a Skywalker can pull without folding the wings.
Noted...thanks...Know the Guardian instructions mention about 50 times to "recalibrate your servos and rerun the wizard" if you ever change ANYTHING, but I know I tend to adjust trims sometimes flying...I'll have to consider that as I add Guardian to my setup this week.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
If you change trim just select "Reset Cruise Sticks/Throtl" in the menu.
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Aug 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
I might be wrong but I think the manual allso states you should just "Reset level flight" after trimming the plane.
Here is a little more detail.... I was cruising along nice and straight with the Guardian stabilization around 4. I noticed that I had about a two degree right wing down. Obviously I am out of trim but the Guardian Heading Hold is using aileron to maintain heading. So, I tried trimming with the Guardian stabilizing... now I know not to do that.

What I will do next time if I notice this is to turn off stabilization, get it all trimmed up, Reset Level flight and then start turning the Guardian stabilization back on (I have the Stabilization on a slider)

Cheers
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
As part of a research project in applied math/physics at Shepherd University in WV, I am looking to outfit a King Motor Baja KSRC-001 23cc 1/5 Scale RC car with an OSD and wireless telemetry package. I am hoping someone could provide me with details regarding the data being recorded and the file type of the data being interpreted by the included software (we are hoping to be able to export the data to mathematical software for analysis). Any information would be greatly appreciated, as well as any further suggestions/advice. I am new to the world of RC cars and could use all the help I can get! Also, I intend to make any results of our research available to the larger RC community as progress in made. Thanks for your time and patience! (Also, if this was an inappropriate forum for this question, i apologize and would be happy to make my inquiry in the appropriate place, if someone would kindly redirect me).
thebrain is offline Find More Posts by thebrain
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
As part of a research project in applied math/physics at Shepherd University in WV, I am looking to outfit a King Motor Baja KSRC-001 23cc 1/5 Scale RC car with an OSD and wireless telemetry package. I am hoping someone could provide me with details regarding the data being recorded and the file type of the data being interpreted by the included software (we are hoping to be able to export the data to mathematical software for analysis). Any information would be greatly appreciated, as well as any further suggestions/advice. I am new to the world of RC cars and could use all the help I can get! Also, I intend to make any results of our research available to the larger RC community as progress in made. Thanks for your time and patience! (Also, if this was an inappropriate forum for this question, i apologize and would be happy to make my inquiry in the appropriate place, if someone would kindly redirect me).
the data files on the elogger are unencrypted text files afaik. Juste some codelines and you can import everyting into matlab.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
If you change trim just select "Reset Cruise Sticks/Throtl" in the menu.
...hum...is this easily done during flight?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
If you're used to going into the menu while flying yes,

Otherwise trim it level, land and then go into the menu,

Allso just make sure you are cruising, so throttle allso at cruise level.

Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
...hum...is this easily done during flight?
It is a little un-nerving because you could accidentally hit Rest Home Position. But the Guardian is so stable that after I watch it stay rock steady, I feel comfortable going thru the menus. Besides, you can see the video in the background in case something went wacky.