HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
hi AdamChicago,

your rth-loops are looking fine to me - under windy conditions.
the plane turns with a constant amount of degrees per second and the wind will influence the pattern across the ground.
in other words the google-track will show a larger diameter at the part of the turn with the wind and the radius will be smaller in the area cross the wind ... so you are getting "eggs" instead of circles.
the pole of the egg is the home-point, because the plane will start to turn again when its crossing this point.

there is no scale in this picture, but i think, that your settings for the turning parameters are a little bit low. my sw circles with app. 100m diameter. i use the same settings like christ (i wrote this in the guardian-thread).

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
FINALLY I got RTH to work (using Guardian), however this is my first successful use of RTH so if anyone can let me know if these loops around the Home (ground station/me) look normal given a 20mph wind out of the SE.

I am concerned that the loops get stretched out further and further downwind...will it hold? I was running low battery power so couldn't test holding RTH any longer.

Also even though I have the RTH radius set for 300ft, these loops were going out 1500ft...is there another setting I need to use to tighten up the diameter?

Thanks for any advice!!!
In VER.10.04 page 20
Home Altitude Radius: This lets you set the distance at which the model will target the "home RTH altitude" described above

Is that what you are talking about?
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
932 Posts
Is there a way....

So, say I go 10 miles away at 3500 feet and lose the video. I engage RTH and the plane turns around and heads back to home. It should start a turn from 3500 and descend to the RTH altitude if I understand everything correctly. That seems like it would make it difficult to reacquire video if the plane is 10 miles away and descending to RTH altitude.

So, if I am 10 miles out at 3500 feet and want to do a turn back to home and remain at 3500 feet, I would need to "rudder" a turn around (so the wings stay relatively level and I don't lose video due to polarization) and continue to fly normally.

Is there another way to stay at altitude if I engage RTH besides setting RTH altitude to 3500?? In this case, I suppose the plane would fly home at 3500 and once it enters the home altitude radius, start a descent to the home altitude...
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Sep 18, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Bad RX Pulsewidths

Flew a little today in windy conditions. About 2,100' away from me I got a message that said "RTH Engaged: Bad RX Pulsewidths". In looking back at my DVR recording, this was only on for about 1.5 seconds. The throttle went full I think to climb to my cruise alt or to increase to my min GS set in the safety setup. Not sure. Went away so quickly the plane never made a turn or a climb. When I landed, I didn't have any RX holds where the RX basically didn't have a signal for a specific length of time. Any ideas?

I guess I should do another RTH test to make sure the plane returns home. Sort of odd it didn't turn. Any way I can tell the plane in the safety setup NOT to use FULL 100% throttle at any time? At 100% I go over the 50 amp rating of the ESC.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Yep you're right...I thought it was for the radius, not the altitude...oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
How do you set the radius for the loops? I think home radius is for the different altitudes and not radius of loops.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:34 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Thint1, thanks that makes me feel better about the inconsistent RTH looping.

I'll track down Crist's settings and see if that'll tighten up the RTH radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi AdamChicago,

your rth-loops are looking fine to me - under windy conditions.
the plane turns with a constant amount of degrees per second and the wind will influence the pattern across the ground.
in other words the google-track will show a larger diameter at the part of the turn with the wind and the radius will be smaller in the area cross the wind ... so you are getting "eggs" instead of circles.
the pole of the egg is the home-point, because the plane will start to turn again when its crossing this point.

there is no scale in this picture, but i think, that your settings for the turning parameters are a little bit low. my sw circles with app. 100m diameter. i use the same settings like christ (i wrote this in the guardian-thread).

cheers Thomas
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:57 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
So, say I go 10 miles away at 3500 feet and lose the video. I engage RTH and the plane turns around and heads back to home. It should start a turn from 3500 and descend to the RTH altitude if I understand everything correctly. That seems like it would make it difficult to reacquire video if the plane is 10 miles away and descending to RTH altitude.

So, if I am 10 miles out at 3500 feet and want to do a turn back to home and remain at 3500 feet, I would need to "rudder" a turn around (so the wings stay relatively level and I don't lose video due to polarization) and continue to fly normally.

Is there another way to stay at altitude if I engage RTH besides setting RTH altitude to 3500?? In this case, I suppose the plane would fly home at 3500 and once it enters the home altitude radius, start a descent to the home altitude...
2000' is the highest setting for RTH.

I was flying over the mountains the other day, and was wishing I had a 3rd rth altitude setting.

One to get me off the mountains at 5000', one to bring me home under 800', and another to circle over home at 300', but that's not the case.

If you want to come home at 2000', then you have to set RTH to 2000'.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:01 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Flew a little today in windy conditions. About 2,100' away from me I got a message that said "RTH Engaged: Bad RX Pulsewidths". In looking back at my DVR recording, this was only on for about 1.5 seconds. The throttle went full I think to climb to my cruise alt or to increase to my min GS set in the safety setup. Not sure. Went away so quickly the plane never made a turn or a climb. When I landed, I didn't have any RX holds where the RX basically didn't have a signal for a specific length of time. Any ideas?

I guess I should do another RTH test to make sure the plane returns home. Sort of odd it didn't turn. Any way I can tell the plane in the safety setup NOT to use FULL 100% throttle at any time? At 100% I go over the 50 amp rating of the ESC.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
Tony,

I haven't looked for it,

but there is supposed to be a place in the menu where you can disable the pulsewith monitoring, in the latest firmware updates.

It would still function normally if you lost signal, but it would eliminate the bad pulsewidth alarm that you are getting.

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:26 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
hi Mike,
interesting, where is this feature hidden? i get sometimes "bad pulswidths" too.
Thomas
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
EagleTree 9.96 can be downloaded here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=docume...84C02EC6%21352

-Mike
Very thanks.

Primož
SuperFlyingWings is offline Find More Posts by SuperFlyingWings
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:17 AM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
101 Posts
Ok guys most of the above seems to relate to fixed wing, I'd love to fit an EagleTree OSD & GPS to my Trex 600E, correct me if I'm wrong, RTH is not available for heli's?
If not, do I 'still' connect all the aileron, elevator, stuff to the OSD but disable RTH?
Just a bit confused, I just need altitude, distance, speed and the home arrow >
Is there any problems with the GPS sitting under the carbon rotor blades?

Almost ready to buy all this kit ;-)

Steve
HeliEye is offline Find More Posts by HeliEye
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:42 AM
With patience and perseverance
Canada, QC, Québec
Joined Mar 2011
46 Posts
Hi there, after upgrading the data recorder software to version 10.04, when I open a Recorder file and I select "2D Chart" from the data menu, I get a "Buffer overrun detected" error message. New or older data files have the same effect. Do I need to downgrade or is there somekind of fix? Running it on Win 7 64bits.

Gilles
CowboyZ99 is offline Find More Posts by CowboyZ99
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Castle Donington
Joined Aug 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
Electricmick:

when I'm using the sim my rudder is shaking. (no aileron)
in the sim is your controlls steady???

thanks for the help
Hi Eugene, no shaking of the rudder as it is not connected to the OSD, other surfaces move with a jittery motion.

The Big Wing Easystar has the easyglider wings with ailerons plus the easyglider tail feathers. It flies slow and steady but climbs very slowly.
electricmick is offline Find More Posts by electricmick
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Is there anything I have to do to run my osd system on 4s. My VTX & camera are 12volts.
Thanks
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliEye View Post
Ok guys most of the above seems to relate to fixed wing, I'd love to fit an EagleTree OSD & GPS to my Trex 600E, correct me if I'm wrong, RTH is not available for heli's?
If not, do I 'still' connect all the aileron, elevator, stuff to the OSD but disable RTH?
Just a bit confused, I just need altitude, distance, speed and the home arrow >
Is there any problems with the GPS sitting under the carbon rotor blades?

Almost ready to buy all this kit ;-)

Steve
hi Steve,
i fly a t-rex 600e too. my skills ... stunts, but no 3d.
search for "helicommand 3x" captron is working on a new unit with additional rth. so you will get full stabilisation, rth and flybarless
i use the helicommand 3d for emergency stabilisation ...and never crashed since mounting.
the data-logger with gps-sensor is working well in my rex. gps is not influenced from chassis or blades. my mounting position is on the top-side of the tailboom-block between the chassissideplates.

cheers Thomas
Last edited by Thint1; Sep 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM.