SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
If the rivative gain is too high you get criss crossing, or porpoising (over reaction).

I would also look at that turn integral gain setting. something tells me that 0 is a bad value...

Mike
Yes, an integral setting of zero is a bad value.

Having worked with PID controls for 40 years, it has been my experience that you can acheive proper control with proportional and integral ONLY. In my opinion, using derivative can easily result in unstable control if overdone. I would use a drivative of zero. (if that means with a derivative gain of zero, no derivative action takes place).

(flame suit is on)!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Sep 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Copter-FPV rules
Österreich
Joined Mar 2009
73 Posts
@m_beeson
@EugeneFlorida
@Mykro

Thank you for your answers.
I'm quiet sure my wiring is ok, as my OSD is working normally on ground tests. I've made a couple of flights now and the OSD worked for a while. But then, suddenly, the same issue happens again. During flight, there is a short flash, all descriptions disappear and the data shown is wrong.

I've already opened a support-ticket a week ago, but now answer yet
Bill, could you have a look at it?

Here's a short vid for your understanding:

http://www.vimeo.com/28569080

Thank you guys for your support!

Cheers,
WEIDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEIDI. View Post
Hi,

I'm new to these things, but have built up my OSD pro this weekend (flashed to firmware version 2.45 using the latest software version 9.96). It's connected to an eLogger v4 as described in the manual.
On the first testflight, I had an issue with the OSD:

1) suddently the OSD lost all descriptions and the data shown was incorrect
(see first pic)

2) after switching everything off, the OSD showed the error message "OSD Internal Error 1A0000. Email support"
(see second pic)

3) after disconnecting all batteries, the OSD booted normally, but then it happend again

Does anybody know this "internal error 1A0000"?
How to solve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
Email support when I got this message for something ?? had a bad part. ET replace the part (FAST) and I was back in the air
WEIDI. is offline Find More Posts by WEIDI.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Thanks Garris and Thint, I'll give that a try tonight.

Check that you have set "Record all GPS data" in the PC eLogger settings.

hi AdamChicago,

if you have logged all gps-data (like garris2 mentioned) try this:

open your logger file and choose only one session to be displayed.
save the "kml" of this session and start google earth. open the kml with the "data menu" in google earth (data - open file).

on my pc the double-click doesn´t work too.

cheers Thomas
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:51 PM
WCP
Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
82 Posts
RTH & Guardian

Crist
What are your setting for RTH and Guardian ? I also think the Co-pilot was a much simpler setup.............With the Guardian one day I get close with RTH the next I fly circles...........
WCP is offline Find More Posts by WCP
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Castle Donington
Joined Aug 2010
152 Posts
Bill, congratulations on another major step forward with the Guardian and OSD set up. For RTH stabilisation I started with the Co-Pilot, got frustrated, next came the FY20A and it worked 98% of the time but scared the s..t out of me the other 2% then came the Guardian, WOW, AWESOME. A totally integrated solution, well done.

I have now done about 15 RTH tests with my big wing Easystar in different wind conditions. It scored 100% success if it demanded a left initial turn but only about 60% with right turns. Above home position it would circle left but not right. Puzzled, I have reviewed the videos to look at the servo positions demanded and the algorithm is demanding a right turn but the aircraft was slow to respond. Back at base I checked the model over to discover the rudder has a lot of left trim, difficult to see on the fully profiled fin and rudder. I have corrected this manually and now waiting for another test flight. Another lesson learned but the Guardian is just so easy to set up and use.

Thank you.
electricmick is offline Find More Posts by electricmick
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCP View Post
Crist
What are your setting for RTH and Guardian ? I also think the Co-pilot was a much simpler setup.............With the Guardian one day I get close with RTH the next I fly circles...........
Here is what I have now:
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:45 PM
WCP
Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
82 Posts
Thank you Crist for all the help!
WCP is offline Find More Posts by WCP
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Wow,

I had a good flight tonight.

For the first time in a week, there was no wind...

I decided to go for these cliffs that I've been shooting for, and I ended up a couple hundred feet above the ridge line, looking over to the other side of the mountain.

Then I finished it off with some low flight.

I lost video a couple of times up next to the cliffs, but the guardian just kept me cool. No worries...

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2010
930 Posts
Beautiful RTH flight ends in a crash

Beautiful morning with a steady 10 - 15 mph south wind.

I just updated my Skywalker V4 this morning with Eagletree firmware 10.04. I am using the FY-20A for stabilization. I'm using the following RTH settings:

Pitch Proportional Gain - 60
Pitch Deriviative Gain -50
Turn Proportional Limit - 20
Turn Proportional Gain - 55
Turn Integral Gain - 55
Turn Deriviative Gain - 50

The only issue today is when I would activate RTH, is the upwind wing was getting hit by the gust and flipping the plane up to a 90 degree bank. The FY-20A was doing a nice job righting it but it was scary to watch.

As for the Eagletree OSD, it performed flawlessly.

The reason for my crash (after reviewing the video) was that my Dragonlink must have an issue. I never got more than 1500 feet away from the plane yet the RSSI was jumping between 100 and 50. Either there is some polarization issues or I have an antenna problem. When I did a range check with a dummy load, the results were excellent.

I think I am flying in a microwave jungle. I'm in a city park surrounded by TV transmitters, cell towers, microwave phone lanes, you name it. My video quality was marginal at best and is usually clean when I am at home testing. I'll try to post the video but I'll have to figure out how to do that.

My crash occurred after I was done testing the Eagletree and I was simply bringing the plane in for landing. The FY-20A was off as well as the RTH. When I got down to ~ 150 feet, the plane failed to respond to inputs and spiraled into a tree, minimal damage...

so, now I have something to do fix today... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Kubiaks,

Sorry, No Idea.

Mike

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterdays flight. No wind.

the receiver on my low dbi antenna got changed,

and I didn't figure that out until later.

I've got a little noise in parts of the video, but it was a great flight.

FPV Flying over the cliffs. A personal best (9 min 18 sec)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Kubiaks,

I have to go back to my original thought.

If it wasn't mechanical, check your connections in your wiring.

check your DL antenna to make sure that it is connected securely,

& make sure that your failsafes on the transmitter set, and are the same as DL.

I tried with no success, to get fy20 A to be reliable.

Guardian will kick in, in a failsafe situation, even when off.

If you had guardian, and had it on, then it more than likely would have kept the plane level.

Mike
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
930 Posts
More data

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been going over the video frame by frame and have pretty much determined that the issue with the Dragonlink was the "notch" in coverage directly over the top of the rubber ducky antenna on the Lawmate Receiver. As the plane went directly overhead, the RSSI dropped off quickly and then recovered to the high 90's as the model flew away from the antenna. The RSSI at the time of the crash was 99 which now makes me suspect the FY-20A.

A big technical issue I have is to fix is the video quality. I was very a n a l about using ferrite coils, twisted servo wires etc to avoid the video transmitter causing interference. I am using the KPC VSN505PHB camera and am filtering the 5V that supplies it. I looked at the 5V before the camera on an oscilloscope and the ripple was almost a flatline. The video quality at home in the workshop is crystal clear. Below are the pictures when I have everything hooked up at the field. A picture is worth a thousand words. Any ideas?? Thanks again!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
thekubiaks

Why switch off stab, just move trim down and land.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
930 Posts
Crist,
Can I trouble you for a comment? I know you had the FY-20A for a while and these are RTH settings you published a while back. I'll give this FY-20A one more chance while I wait for my Guardian.

by the way, I think I solved my Dragonlink issue (flying directly over the top of the rubber ducky antenna is the "dead zone") and video quality issue. The video quality issue is simply that I was using a cheap USB video EZ grabber to record my OSD video. I am going to do some research on some kind of miniDVR or HD Video capture card, recommendations are appreciated.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
Beautiful morning with a steady 10 - 15 mph south wind.

I just updated my Skywalker V4 this morning with Eagletree firmware 10.04. I am using the FY-20A for stabilization. I'm using the following RTH settings:

Pitch Proportional Gain - 60
Pitch Deriviative Gain -50
Turn Proportional Limit - 20
Turn Proportional Gain - 55
Turn Integral Gain - 55
Turn Deriviative Gain - 50

The only issue today is when I would activate RTH, is the upwind wing was getting hit by the gust and flipping the plane up to a 90 degree bank. The FY-20A was doing a nice job righting it but it was scary to watch.

As for the Eagletree OSD, it performed flawlessly.

The reason for my crash (after reviewing the video) was that my Dragonlink must have an issue. I never got more than 1500 feet away from the plane yet the RSSI was jumping between 100 and 50. Either there is some polarization issues or I have an antenna problem. When I did a range check with a dummy load, the results were excellent.

I think I am flying in a microwave jungle. I'm in a city park surrounded by TV transmitters, cell towers, microwave phone lanes, you name it. My video quality was marginal at best and is usually clean when I am at home testing. I'll try to post the video but I'll have to figure out how to do that.

My crash occurred after I was done testing the Eagletree and I was simply bringing the plane in for landing. The FY-20A was off as well as the RTH. When I got down to ~ 150 feet, the plane failed to respond to inputs and spiraled into a tree, minimal damage...

so, now I have something to do fix today... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
390 Posts
Kubiaks, I went for an archos (quite an old one, required a 5V step down on the ground station) and it works perfectly every time - soooo much better than lugging a laptop around!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash