Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:28 PM
WCP
Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
Hya,

First couple of times that I tried my RTH it put the plane into a nose dive within 2 seconds... We're now past all that (the issue was excessive rudder input which made the plane to bank and dive).

Today for the first time RTH could turn the plane and also keep it going straight.

But it behaved a bit weird... so I'm hoping someone's experienced something similar before. All of the below was done flying 3rd person... There was a lot of wind admitedly (25kmh or so) which may have affected stuff...

Symptom 1:
- I took the plane to my right and engaged RTH. The plane turned towards me... and then kept on turning. Did a few 360s before I took control again.
- Did the same with the plane in a different position and again it just wanted to go round in circles

Symptom 2:
- Tried again and this time the plane turned around and started coming towards me (great!)
- Flew overhead and... kept on going
- I took control when it was quite far away

Any ideas?!
We seem to be having this type of problem also. Fly 180deg out then RTH and we do circles. It does work its way back to home some. We increased Turn Drivative Gain to 65 adjusting for overshoot but that did not work. Here is our set file
WCP is offline Find More Posts by WCP
Last edited by WCP; Sep 11, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:28 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Steve, Yeah, I was thinking of doing that.
I tried offsetting the motor and it didn't help. Maybe a rudder rate gyro is in order.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:15 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
I tried offsetting the motor and it didn't help. Maybe a rudder rate gyro is in order.
A rate gyro would probably only hold it for a few seconds. A heading hold gyro might hold it longer. Like in a heli.

Can you turn your camera all the way around to watch the rudder? Maybe even put a keychain camera to watch it.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Has anyone run into the problem of main battery MAH not measuring accurate battery consumption? On 3 occasions out of about a dozen flights my main batt has lost power due to too low of voltage while the MAH reading on the OSD screen still showed about 25% battery left. When I measured the battery with a meter after the flight it was in the 13V range which is considered below 0% for a 4S

It's not that I'm trying to fly the battery down to zero but in all 3 cases it caught me by surprise before I was prepared to land.
Set a voltage alarm also. I use both. My mah isn't all that close either. I tap off for the ubec before the OSD.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Floater thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Set a voltage alarm also. I use both. My mah isn't all that close either. I tap off for the ubec before the OSD.

Steve
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:31 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
A rate gyro would probably only hold it for a few seconds. A heading hold gyro might hold it longer. Like in a heli.

Can you turn your camera all the way around to watch the rudder? Maybe even put a keychain camera to watch it.

Steve
Steve,
I already have a rate gyro so I'll try that.
I can't turn the camera around.
My keychain camera died.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Can someone help me figure out playing eLogger V4 files on Google Earth?

I read through eLogger V4 manual and have skimmed a search on Google on this thread and can't get it to work. After maybe a half dozen flights with this OSD Pro/eLogger V4 unit and probably another dozen bench tests I finally downloaded the data off of the eLogger onto my PC which included 46 sessions. I chose save for Google Earth, then save as Google Earth track and even though I see those KML files in Google Earth Places, when I double click on them nothing happens and I don't see any tracks or a play button in those geographies I flew in. Nor when I play the sessions in Eagle Tree Data Recorder the clock ticks off but none of my selected instruments show anything (ie altermeter, airspeed and artificial horizon.

What am I doing wrong?

FYI I upgraded to 10.01 last night...so old flights are in the old firmware but there's today's flights in 10.01.

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:46 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:

I read through eLogger V4 manual and have skimmed a search on Google on this thread and can't get it to work. After maybe a half dozen flights with this OSD Pro/eLogger V4 unit and probably another dozen bench tests I finally downloaded the data off of the eLogger onto my PC which included 46 sessions. I chose save for Google Earth, then save as Google Earth track and even though I see those KML files in Google Earth Places, when I double click on them nothing happens and I don't see any tracks or a play button in those geographies I flew in. Nor when I play the sessions in Eagle Tree Data Recorder the clock ticks off but none of my selected instruments show anything (ie altermeter, airspeed and artificial horizon.

What am I doing wrong?

FYI I upgraded to 10.01 last night...so old flights are in the old firmware but there's today's flights in 10.01.

Thank you!!!
Do you telemetry turn on in the Eagle Eyes?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Crist thanks for the help. No, while I have an Eagle Eyes unit on my ground station and it is powered up and I do have power and the video feed connected I have yet to do anything with it...have my hands full with Guardian and two planes right now

What I did was to connect the PC USB cable to the eLogger V4 and do a "Download from Recorder"...it looked like it downloaded something and I apparently have 46 sessions of something...shouldn't this work?

But I haven't downloaded any data from the Eagle Eyes yet...is Eagle Eyes the only way to get this telemetry data?

Quote:
Do you telemetry turn on in the Eagle Eyes?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!!
Check that you have set "Record all GPS data" in the PC eLogger settings.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:33 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
hi AdamChicago,

if you have logged all gps-data (like garris2 mentioned) try this:

open your logger file and choose only one session to be displayed.
save the "kml" of this session and start google earth. open the kml with the "data menu" in google earth (data - open file).

on my pc the double-click doesn´t work too.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted
Hya,

First couple of times that I tried my RTH it put the plane into a nose dive within 2 seconds... We're now past all that (the issue was excessive rudder input which made the plane to bank and dive).

Today for the first time RTH could turn the plane and also keep it going straight.

But it behaved a bit weird... so I'm hoping someone's experienced something similar before. All of the below was done flying 3rd person... There was a lot of wind admitedly (25kmh or so) which may have affected stuff...

Symptom 1:
- I took the plane to my right and engaged RTH. The plane turned towards me... and then kept on turning. Did a few 360s before I took control again.
- Did the same with the plane in a different position and again it just wanted to go round in circles

Symptom 2:
- Tried again and this time the plane turned around and started coming towards me (great!)

Any ideas?!
Attached is my config file...

THanks!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Symptom 1:

Symptom 2:

Any ideas?!
I've seen the first symptom with an older firmware. The plane would circle down to scrub altitude, then once it got to the set RTH altitude; It would come home.

The newer firmware brings it home on a slope.

I saw the second symptom before I got RTH settings correct. It didn't have enough turn limits or gain. I don't remember which, probably both.

That shouldn't be happening though if your plane is circling.

Maybe you should look at increasing turn derivative gains. I can only guess without seeing the settings.

sorry the file doesn't do me much good, but maybe bill will weigh in on this and decipher your issues.

I did notice that you are using 1.96, and you may want to update to 10.3

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Last edited by m_beeson; Sep 12, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Many thanks Mike. Below are the actual settings...

I'll certainly look to update the firmware. In my case I engaged RTH when I was below cruise altitude so I wonder whether it was trying to do what you described but trying to gain altitude...

Settings (in metric units):
Max cruise speeD: 80
Cruise altitude: 120
Alt error: 25
Pitch proportional gain: 75
Pitch derivative gain: 0
Turn proportional limit: 20
Turn proportional gain: 50
Turn integral gain: 0
Turn derivative gain: 0
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:21 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Many thanks Mike. Below are the actual settings...

I'll certainly look to update the firmware. In my case I engaged RTH when I was below cruise altitude so I wonder whether it was trying to do what you described but trying to gain altitude...

Settings (in metric units):
Max cruise speeD: 80
Cruise altitude: 120
Alt error: 25
Pitch proportional gain: 75
Pitch derivative gain: 0
Turn proportional limit: 20
Turn proportional gain: 50
Turn integral gain: 0
Turn derivative gain: 0
Your derivative gains are the settings that tell your onboard computer that there is a target that I want to achieve, and I am allowing this much error before I react.

That is why:

If the derivative gain is too high you get criss crossing, or porpoising (over reaction).

If the derivative gain is too low, then you leave the world open for errors before it decides that it needs to react.

a zero setting would allow it to fly away.

I would try the default derivative gain settings.

I would also look at that turn integral gain setting. something tells me that 0 is a bad value...

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson