SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:31 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
The ESC out side? What is that?
On the eLogger v4 it says "+ BATT -" on one side and "- ESC +" on the other side. I used that side with ESC on it.

Since you said "You have the battery directly to the ET, then from the ET to everything else" I figured I was following your suggestion. It was a 12V source so...

Was that not the correct thing to do?
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:19 AM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
On the eLogger v4 it says "+ BATT -" on one side and "- ESC +" on the other side. I used that side with ESC on it.

Since you said "You have the battery directly to the ET, then from the ET to everything else" I figured I was following your suggestion. It was a 12V source so...

No that's correct. When you referred to "ESC out" I thought you were talking about an ESC and not the eLogger.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:20 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post

hi,
... like i wrote before ... in other words:
the power supply to "BATT" all consumers to "ESC" and youŽll log the summary current

Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:48 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Anybody else having problems with voltage readings on secondary voltage connections (on temp2 or temp3)? Mine used to work correctly but not since I updated the firmware. Now it reads about 3v too high.....
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:52 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,057 Posts
Quote:
Anybody else having problems with voltage readings on secondary voltage connections (on temp2 or temp3)? Mine used to work correctly but not since I updated the firmware. Now it reads about 3v too high.....
New FW require 15K res. on input instead of 10K

-Hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
New FW require 15K res. on input instead of 10K

-Hugo
Thanks for the info much appreciated. Is that documented? How did I miss that?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
No that's correct. When you referred to "ESC out" I thought you were talking about an ESC and not the eLogger.
Great! Sorry I should have been more clear about what I meant on that.

I'm still stumped on the throttle logging. I've tried 2 different ways and can't seem to get my software or the OSD to display my throttle, and when I try to calibrate it all I can see is the throttle dashboard like gauge sitting on "0" throttle when I'm varying the throttle and the motors know it.

I've followed the manual using the supplied Y cable.

I've connected my "Rx out ch3" (throttle) to the "Y" cable, and then the male servo connector on the "Y" cable into the "Throttle In" port on the eLogger. The other part of the "Y" connector (female servo connector) is going to another "Y" cable feeding both ESCs (twin motor).

On the cable going to my 2 ESCs I remove the red (+) pin so the ESCs don't try to supply the eLogger/receiver with power since they are powered directly by the battery or via UBEC respectively.

Where I'm confused is:

A) What connects to the "Throttle Out" on the eLogger if the throttle is sent via the "Y" cable (supplied) to the ESCs?

B) Why don't I see these throttle movements recognized by the eLogger, yet the plane is being controlled by the throttle just fine. It's like throttle changes with my stick movements, eLogger just doesn't seem to show them.

Oh, and when I say I "tried 2 different ways"... the second test was not using the "Y" cable, rather out from the RX - Into the "Throttle In" port, out the "Throttle Out" port and onto the "Y" cable for both ESCs.

*** Please note I'm talking about 2 different "Y" cables in this post. 1 = The supplied "Y" cable for the "throttle logging" and, 2 = A "Y" cable needed with a twin motor plane to supply throttle signals to each ESC.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:43 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Thanks for the info much appreciated. Is that documented? How did I miss that?
Yes, extensively. 15K ohm
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:50 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
calidave,

When you run throttle calibration in the software set-up, it recognizes the throttle doesn't it?

You can turn on servo deflection, and that will show throttle.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
calidave,

When you run throttle calibration in the software set-up, it recognizes the throttle doesn't it?

You can turn on servo deflection, and that will show throttle.
Bill explains it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5898
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:18 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
calidave,

When you run throttle calibration in the software set-up, it recognizes the throttle doesn't it?l
No.

As the person stated in the link Crist posted:

"Quote:
Please help with the "Calibrate Throttle" settings on the eLogger PC application. I have the the USB plugged into the PC, the eLogger PC application running, the plane is powered and ready...when I go into the "Calibrate Throttle" option and follow the instructions to move the throttle full open (up all the way) and the motor on the plane is spinning at full throttle, the little meter on the PC screen doesn't move...I left the throttle open for about 20 seconds and nothing happened...do I just need to go longer or is something not working."

This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Bill replies:
The throttle logging/calibration requires that your throttle channel be connected directly to the eLogger's "Throttle" input. The feature is used mostly by people who use the eLogger without the OSD Pro, since the throttle and other servo positions can be displayed on the screen via the "Display Servo Deflections" option."

As stated above in my post, I've tried both using the supplied "Throttle Y cable" as well as directly connecting my receiver throttle out to the eLogger with no "Throttle Y cable" into the "Throttle In", and in either case nothing is registered onscreen.

Bill's reply is just saying to plug in the throttle from the receiver... Duh! haha, I've done that.
Last edited by CaliDave; Jul 02, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:31 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Please help with the "Calibrate Throttle" settings on the eLogger PC application. I have the the USB plugged into the PC, the eLogger PC application running, the plane is powered and ready...when I go into the "Calibrate Throttle" option and follow the instructions to move the throttle full open (up all the way) and the motor on the plane is spinning at full throttle, the little meter on the PC screen doesn't move...I left the throttle open for about 20 seconds and nothing happened...do I just need to go longer or is something not working.

Thanks again!
Adam, did you ever get this resolved? I saw Bill's response which seemed to say to just have the throttle from your receiver into the "Throttle In" of the eLogger.

I've done this but still have the issues you have listed above. How did you get the calibration mode to see your throttle movements when it hadn't originally? Thanks.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
All, starting with our beta version 9.57, the resistor probe resistance for monitoring secondary batteries has changed from 10K ohm to 15K ohm. This improves the performance of the monitor over a variety of voltage ranges. Click here for more information.

mentony32,
Quote:
I've been using the Display Alarm Text feature, however the custom text I enter dosent seem to reload after a firmware upgrade (all other paramaters and settings do though). Am I doing something wrong, or is that something to work on Bill ?
Hmm, those need to be saved/restored but don't appear to be. We'll get this added hopefully this week.

smoln1,
Quote:
Only a problem on LCD monitor ground Eagle Tree is not working or is very little seen in the black figure. If you mount the camera directly to the monitor, the picture is great What could this be?
Is this resolved for you?
Quote:
I currently have the Pro version of the OSD 9.57.After a successful update OSD and Elogger, Eagle-ground tree is not working or not working telemetry.OSD firmware and E-logger I've updated.Do I need to update the Ground?
Yes, the EagleEyes and OSD Pro firmware need to be kept in synch to work correctly. If you don't want to connect your EE for firmware update each time you update the OSD Pro, you can look at the presently available firmware version displayed on the Firmware Control page, and if that hasn't changed from the last time you updated the EE, you don't need to connect the EE for an update.

Floater73,
Quote:
I really like all the additions to the OSD software. I'm asking for one more unless I missed how to do it. There are several settings for lat/long but none for which pages to display it. Can it be added to the “Select Graphical Items for Page X” options?
Thanks for that. Re adding the Lat/Lon, we considered that, but thought it might be confusing, since the lat/lon has its own settings as to when it should be displayed. One big issue is what to do if you set Lat/Lon to display when there's "trouble" and don't have it displayed on all pages. Could be bad. Will think about this some more, though.

bah7566,
Quote:
I am trying to update my OSD Pro and am having no success. I have done it many times before but this time I just can't get it to work.
sorry for the issue. Is this resolved for you now?

serginho_la,
Quote:
I searched for hours on this topic some image that shows VSI (vertical speed indicator) but have not found.
In addition to the text climbrate readout, we'll be adding a graphical display of climbrate, which will happen as part of some upcoming graphics enhancements to the OSD Pro.
Quote:
About variometer, you can change the style of his sound,
Yes, this has been something I've wanted also. I've added it to our feature request list.

Infernal Bill,
Quote:
However, when I swap or when I plug Aux2 into the 9th channel (which I believe may be sending out the PPM signal rather than acting as a regular servo channel), I get the onscreen message, "RTH Engaged: Too many glitches". I'm assuming that this is caused when I do the manual switch. BUT, once everthing is switched (or I pull out the servo from the 9th channel), the Rx/Tx should be fine. BUT I can't get that RTH to disengage. So, is there any way to disengage that RTH for "Too many glitches" once engaged?
Hmm. The problem is that the OSD detects the removal of the Aux channel, and assumes that the channel has failed due to an Rx issue. One solution is to use the 3 position switch mode for menus, which requires only one input to fully access all menus. Another possibility is to share the Aux 2 with your pan, which would require you to pan when accessing menus, but should not be a problem otherwise, in most cases. There's a big section on the alternatives for menu access in our latest manual, posted here. Let me know if this doesn't clear up the issue for you!

rabe2000 et al,
Quote:
Billpa, would it be possible to display the actual elevation angle?
I think, this could be very useful when flying over woods, hills or other obstacles. With more distance you need more height. so if you know and maintain your minimum elevation angle in this direction you won't loose LOS.
Right now we display the tilt angle as part of the servo deflections display. But, that display is primarily for troubleshooting. What we'll do is add the tilt angle (and perhaps grade) as one of the configurable text parameters. We have a list of several of those to add that people have requested, and will be doing them all at once.

billyd60,
Quote:
Why is the software on ET's website so far behind on the beta version? It only lists 9.13 beta, but Billpa is posting about 9.5x beta now?
Over the past few months our software has been changing rapidly for Guardian stabilization and several other features, so we have not posted an updated beta. However, we have now updated the beta software version to 9.57 on our website. The OSD Pro online manual has also been updated to reflect this version.
Quote:
Also why not use the rudder stick to move up and down through the menus instead of a switch? Then only one extra channel is necessary (for selection switch). I think it would be more intuitive. In flight access to menus could be achieved by temporarily disabling rudder control (lock rudder in neutral) for the short time menus need to be accessed. It's still pretty easy to fly without rudder, for a short time.
This was partially implemented some time ago, but hasn't been enabled as I'm not a big fan of disabling flight controls. But, I think we will still do it since we get requests for it. Note that right now you can use the "3 position switch" method which lets you fully access menus with one channel.
Quote:
When I connect my meter with everything powered up the meter shows 0.43 amps being drawn, but the pc software says to be sure no current is being drawn when you begin the calibration process... uhm this is impossible since my main battery pack supplies power to a bec which is powering the rx and the ET stuff. I have to have the plane powered up to connect the mains and do the calibration don't I??....
Note that the units are factory calibrated, so this is generally not needed. To calibrate the zero current draw, just connect a battery directly to the eLogger, and click "Calibration, Rezero Current Sensors" in the software.

ScoRpiUs2009,
Quote:
my readings for amps, and mah, flight pack voltages are way off this was after i did the update to 9.14,
Sorry about this issue. Please click "Advanced, Calibrate Pack Voltage and Amperage" and then just click "Restore Factory Defaults" and the issue should be resolved.

mentony32,
Quote:
Bill, I flew with the 9.51 firmware versions on the OSD, eLogger (v3) and EE this morning and all worked well except the 2nd battery voltage was reading wrong (about 2V too low). I checked it with a mulitmeter and have the 15k resistor installed. Not sure what's going on here ?
That's odd. What is the voltage of the battery being measured?

Mike,
Quote:
I'm also concerned about the amount of time that it seems to take for the throttle to seek cruise level,
Yes, that's a good question. The RTH algorithm ramps up/down throttle over a period of around 3-5 seconds, once RTH engages. The theory behind this is that a) slower changes makes it less likely to flip unstabilized models, and b) it's less likely to cause a problem with ESCs. When the Guardian is present, however, the throttle is increased much more rapidly since a) is much less of an issue. That said, it would be easy enough to decrease the ramp time even if Guardian is not present, perhaps as a setting.

AdamChicago,
Quote:
I have a total telemetry newbie question...can you use a recorded OSD Pro video file to load telemetry into the EagleTree eLogger software? In other words I have ET eLogger software open on my PC and I have an old OSD Pro video footage I recorded from via video downlink to my ground station (not EagleEyes). Can I take that video footage and somehow load into the ET software so I can use the telemetry embedded in it to test EagleEyes ground tracking and also show GPS tracks on Google Earth?
Unfortunately I suspect that your DVR strips out the telemetry information. However, for flight playback and loading into Google Earth, if you connect a laptop to the EE, you can save the telemetry using the "live mode" option. There is also a microSD slot on the EE for logging telemetry, but that's not yet enabled. Finally, of course you can download the flight data from your eLogger and have the same results.

Subsonic,
Quote:
How do I interpret the GPS coordinates as displayed on the OSD? The output in my case says 33 42 7478 and 151 14 4809. I assume the Left number is latitude in degrees S, and right is long in degrees W?
It is in what's sometimes called “GPS Format.” This format is DDD.MM MM format.

AdamChicago, re your throttle logging issue, can you let me know whether you have the eLogger V3 or V4, and which version of our software you are using?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:40 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
I think I upgraded to EagleTree Windows application ver. 9.57 Beta today.
eLogger firmware went from 1.03 to 1.13
OSD firmware went from 1.96 to 2.26
EagleEyes firmware went from 1.12 to 1.17

However when I fire everything up, I get this message on my t.v. screen. Never have seen that message before, and don't know what to do about it.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I think I upgraded to EagleTree Windows application ver. 9.57 Beta today.
eLogger firmware went from 1.03 to 1.13
OSD firmware went from 1.96 to 2.26
EagleEyes firmware went from 1.12 to 1.17

However when I fire everything up, I get this message on my t.v. screen. Never have seen that message before, and don't know what to do about it.
Hopefully you backed up your config file in the pc software otherwise it looks like you're going to have to reconfigure everything from scratch.