SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2008, 01:55 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!!

Really appreciate the beta test offers. We'll be sorting that out in the coming weeks.

SmashSE, the complete standard OSD package comes with everything you need to display and log Voltage, Current, mAH, groundspeed, Home Arrow, Distance to Pilot, GPS altitude, GPS position, Wattage, and Rx Hits.

When the Pro becomes available, the new features (audio, Graphics, and RTH) will all start working, with no other sensors to buy. You just need to upgrade one part of the system ($20 + shipping) to move to the Pro.

We do have lots of other sensors available, as and when you need them. For example, a separate voltage monitor for your camera pack is in the works. We have not officially announced that though. :-)

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
php web app engineer
Cool, CA
Joined Feb 2003
415 Posts
RV's OSD doesn't log any telemetry. It's a good looking OSD, but since it doesn't log any data, it's basically useless to me. I'm seriously looking at the eagle tree system. If the pro OSD expander actually gets released in December, I'm on board 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
Bill,
As much as I want to applaud you for your efforts I find your post a little questionable. You only have a mock-up and some ideas to share, the actual product is months away, whereas your biggest competitor -Vova's RVOSD- is just about to be released to customers.
hemna is offline Find More Posts by hemna
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:56 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemna
RV's OSD doesn't log any telemetry. It's a good looking OSD, but since it doesn't log any data, it's basically useless to me. I'm seriously looking at the eagle tree system. If the pro OSD expander actually gets released in December, I'm on board 100%!
That's one of the biggest reasons I purchased the Eagle Tree System, it's all about the logging and now with OSD for FPV
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
And also the reason I canceled an OSD preorder from another guy and went with eagletree. Bill, you anounced this just in time, glad you did, and now I know I made the right decision.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:52 AM
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
I noticed your RTH feature supported JR radios, how hard would it be to get it working with a Futaba 2.4Ghz?

SmashSE
SmashSE is offline Find More Posts by SmashSE
Old Sep 20, 2008, 06:07 AM
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Jul 2008
48 Posts
Hey Bill, I collect OSD's for some reason. Even the ones that are on back order due to release dates. I was ready to order your OSD but I'll waite for the Pro.

One of the other OSD's allow the use of the Garmin Summit GPS that stores a lot of waypoints. Great for Garmin but the OSD doesn't allow for changing waypoints to nav to, although it does allow HOME plus one other. Any chance that we could eventually have the ability to select waypoints from a list while in flight or better yet, select a flight plan('s)? Imagine having the ability to race a course, RENO style, with some buddies. Combine that with the logger for validity.. Also, maybe consider some sort of TCAS. The Rhino GPS has the ability to show the location of other Rhino's, course and distance.

Yeah, I'm dreaming but these are things that are already here but not in one package. You guys seem to have the bull by the horns right now and so it seems that maybe you are the ones to pull it off.

I'd pony up big for this one. I have your Eagle Tree Wireless Pro installed on my machine and that wasn't cheap with all the accessories. Darn good stuff though and worth every penny. Keep up the good work!

Yes, this is a repost from another forum but I feel the need and you could do the deed.....please consider.
DKTek is offline Find More Posts by DKTek
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
Joined Apr 2008
9 Posts
How much would it cost for a complete OSD system featuring the latest firmware (with GPS, airspeed etc...)
kalista is offline Find More Posts by kalista
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
Joined Apr 2008
9 Posts
this was adressed to Billpa :-)
kalista is offline Find More Posts by kalista
Old Sep 20, 2008, 05:54 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,883 Posts
Bill,

Your OSD looks really neat, I always like to see differnt OSD's and the ideas different people come up with. A couple things I would like to suggest.

The " Radar " display needs to be able to be turned off, or the " North Up " to be able to be changed by the user to any heading they want as being up. Most RC flyers do not fly facing north, and that " Radar Display " would be downright confusing if you normally faced East, or West, or south, etc.. to fly and North Up was in effect... Being able to select any heading as " Up " would solve this and make a really neat feature usable at any location. In RC flying, North has no special meaning.... Lots of OSD designers get this wrong, and they always seem to realize it late and delete special indications of North after they get some exprience.

The other feature that is really nice to have is to be able to turn the OSD off with a channel on the radio. There are times you really want the OSD, but then again there are times you just want to look at the outside world without anything at all cluttering up the screen. I use this feature constantly on the Dragon.

I look forward to seeing this product on the market, and videos of what it will do. You guys do have a lot of really neat products, keep up the good work

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:21 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
The other feature that is really nice to have is to be able to turn the OSD off with a channel on the radio. There are times you really want the OSD, but then again there are times you just want to look at the outside world without anything at all cluttering up the screen. I use this feature constantly on the Dragon.
They'll definitely have this feature as their current OSD supports it:

http://www.vimeo.com/1775601
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Sep 21, 2008, 03:13 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,049 Posts
JettPilot, North Up has nothing to do with the way you are facing whilst sitting on the ground controlling your aircraft remotely and everything to do with the direction your aircraft is flying. Wether you are facing South, East or West, with North up (as is long time, long standing navigational convention world wide for shipping, aircraft, and motorvehicles), the radar plane tells you what direction YOUR AIRCRAFT is heading, again regardles what direction you are facing. You don't need to be alligned in any particular direction. I'm really surprised to read you comment given your "legendary experience". I thought it was only women that turned the map so that north is somewhere else other than up.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
If you spend any time using a automobile gps you realize track up is the way to go.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:32 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2
I thought it was only women that turned the map so that north is somewhere else other than up.

Every pilot turns the map so the map's north faces north... you want your heading to be up, when you're flying in BAD weather at tree tops, in a foggy valley at 170 miles an hour trying to follow the water, the last thing you need is to turn left when you should be turning right because you are tracking down on your map instead of forward...

When flying its much easier to find a landmark (lake, shape of a river) etc.. if what you are seeing down below has the same orientation as what you are seeing on the map...

So I guess all pilots are women ?
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2
JettPilot, North Up has nothing to do with the way you are facing whilst sitting on the ground controlling your aircraft remotely and everything to do with the direction your aircraft is flying. Wether you are facing South, East or West, with North up (as is long time, long standing navigational convention world wide for shipping, aircraft, and motorvehicles), the radar plane tells you what direction YOUR AIRCRAFT is heading, again regardles what direction you are facing. You don't need to be alligned in any particular direction. I'm really surprised to read you comment given your "legendary experience". I thought it was only women that turned the map so that north is somewhere else other than up.
True, in most English speaking countries maps are printed North is Up.

Take a look at a gyro compass on an aircraft instrument panel some day. Your HEADING is UP. If your map is on a display north should NOT be up, your heading should be up. Same with the radar display. Check any of the moving map displays and see how it is done when lives depend on the results.

That makes it so that you know which way to turn without having to waste time analyzing things and maybe getting it wrong.

BTW, women do turn maps to the correct heading. Real men don't need no maps. We head in the approximate right direction and look for signs and occasionally take advice from our navigator when all else fails!

JettPilot is right, and you are too far away for me to offer to help you look for your airplane.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:09 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Briollay
Joined Mar 2005
113 Posts
I agree with Jettpilot a radar facing north is useless and can be annoying.
Even if you face South, the miniature plane on the left of the screen must indicate that the plane is on your left (and not at West).
The "radar" map should be automatically oriented during the first initialisation of the OSD. The "up" of the radar should be what is facing the plane at start up.
samol is offline Find More Posts by samol