HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Bill,

As much as I want to applaud you for your efforts I find your post a little questionable. You only have a mock-up and some ideas to share, the actual product is months away, whereas your biggest competitor -Vova's RVOSD- is just about to be released to customers.

Since you won't be able to offer anything until end of this year I can't help but wonder whether this is an attempt to steal customers away from him, which I consider questionable business tactics however you look at it.

Having said that, and since your OSD has just had its paperlaunch, lets see what happens in December. There's a long list of features you seem to be offering, some are harder to implement than others, so lets see what features make it to the final product. Good luck with the development.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:53 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
Bill,

As much as I want to applaud you for your efforts I find your post a little questionable. You only have a mock-up and some ideas to share, the actual product is months away, whereas your biggest competitor -Vova's RVOSD- is just about to be released to customers.

Vova started advertising his future product months before it was due to come out as well. Of course Bill's trying to get customers, and we should appreciate the news as it gives us the ability to make informed purchasing decisions. As long as he isn't purposefully misrepresenting the release date then there is nothing wrong with that.

Besides, if he hadn't posted about it here to get feedback, then how could there ever be a "BUSHMAN IS AWESOME" feature?!
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:56 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
BushmanLA,

Quote:
Besides, if he hadn't posted about it here to get feedback, then how could there ever be a "BUSHMAN IS AWESOME" feature?!
True, that's a must-have feature, you might want to make an audio clip and send to him

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:00 AM
Dornbirn / Austria
Joined Mar 2008
618 Posts
well, actually I'm glad he pointed out an alternative in the advanced OSD sector.

they are not offering just a mock up, he is offering a complete OSD with the possibility to upgrade to an advanced version quite cheap.

furthermore I think you can't blame him for stealing customers without noting that RVOSD is long overdue, and the release date has been moved several times. this is exactly the same business tactic.
solars is online now Find More Posts by solars
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:12 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
wow, great new OSD.

I bought the "old" Eagle Tree OSD a few days ago, and now the pro version is announced, with the missing features of the "old" OSD. (return home,..)

Perfect. I hope Santa, or how we in Europe say : "the Christ Child", will bring me this new OSD.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:55 AM
Joined Aug 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
I hope Santa, or how we in Europe say : "the Christ Child", will bring me this new OSD.
If you'll be a good boy, maybe the christkind will bring you something

Sibi
_Sibi_ is online now Find More Posts by _Sibi_
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
I for one am excited about this press report. I have always like the idea of Eagle Tree making an OSD because of all their modular sensors. They are also a pretty rooted company, which won't hurt anything.

I wasn't blown away with their first osd because of the lack of RTH, but now I am very very interested.

The biggest thing I like about this system is the fact that because it is modular, you can upgrade each component if needed. That is one of the problems I see with the other OSDs, if you aren't happy with the way the processors render graphics, there isn't anything you can do about it. This system lets you get rid of that obsolete piece and upgrade it. They obvoiusly believe in upgrading, after all they are on V3 of their logger.

I know everyone wants to throw out a ton of ideas, but I think that what they have proposed looks very prosmising and complete. I too am curious about what they are propsoing for the autopilot, but they probably don't have any good details yet as it seems like they are just starting development.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:51 AM
Lees summit, mo
Joined Dec 2004
88 Posts
Thanks for the upgrade offer, Bill! I like my "old" ET OSD and was worried that I jumped the gun. I am defiantly upgrading to the pro when it is available.
syberjunkie is offline Find More Posts by syberjunkie
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:15 AM
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
150 Posts
Bill,

I was getting ready to buy one of the current OSDs, so I'm happy I saw this. I probably will still get the text version, but will definitely buy the new one when it hits the street. I already have serveral v3 eloggers and a GPS expander. Can I take advantage of the g-force expander, or is that limited to the Seagull?
renelu is online now Find More Posts by renelu
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback/comments over the weekend and today. Here are answers to all the questions (I think):

1) Regarding the Return to Home feature, it is not an autopilot per se. It is a "last resort" method of saving your plane if you lose RC contact. Autopilots absolutely require an IMU, IMO. We've been researching the RTH feature for some time.

The RTH feature will take over control of the ailerons (or rudder) for turn, the elevator for lift, and the throttle for speed, which is pretty standard stuff. You will need to set the min/max extents for control of each surface, as well as the failsafe settings for PCM, and a few other parameters. A warning will be given that RTH is about to be activated.

Of course, we will learn a lot over the next months as we try this with various beta testers' planes. Once the first production run of hardware is done, the firmware working, and initial beta is done, we will solicit for early adopters to participate in this testing (just like we did with the standard OSD).

Note that firmware for detecting RX link failure is already done for our standard OSD expander, and this is scheduled to be posted this week. For PPM, it is quite easy to detect failure. For PCM, we look for a) a preprogrammed failsafe setting, or b) lack of stick movement if failsafe cannot be programmed on all channels.

2) Regarding the Rx Voltage sensor, you read it here first! This will be shipping on the order of 6 weeks, though we have not "officially" announced it, so I will likely be fired for discussing it now. It samples your RX voltage 1000's of times/second (between 2V and 12V) and remembers the lowest voltage encountered. It is a dual-mode microsensor, in that it both displays the lowest encountered during the flight on it's built-in 7 segment LED, as well as reporting the lowest per logging interval to the eLogger/OSD.

3) Regarding our ability to deliver on the OFFICALLY announced OSD PRO, I want to clarify a couple of things. First, Eagle Tree does not officially announce products without being 100% sure we will deliver the product, in the approximate timeframe stated. Of course, delivery dates can slip. I think we slip about a month on average. For example, our standard OSD was announced as shipping in "Mid July" and it ended up shipping in mid-late August.

4) Regarding why we made the announcement when we did, we have received overwhelming feedback about what our customers want with OSD, and we are quickly executing on that. Once we commit 100% to a project, we announce it. It's as simple as that. We don't pay that much attention to competitors, but more on what our customers tell us they want, and how urgently they want it.

I want to be clear that the announcement is not just some "ideas." Most of the components of the OSD PRO are already done and shipping with our standard OSD. The 3 main things that are new are audio/speech, graphics, and RTH. We have been working (slowly) on speech for about a year as an upgrade to our Seagull Wireless, so the design is done and quite a bit of the code written. Note also that the Seagull already supports varying tone audio, so part of this is already shipping.

We have finalized our overall design for the graphics, and are working thru the remaining details. I'm really excited about the power and flexibility of the design we have come up with. It lends itself to supporting arbitrary graphics down the road, as requests dictate. I suspect coding will start in about a week.

One more very important thing I want to note about our OSD and our announcement. Our present OSD and our OSD PRO are simply different "renderers" for our sensor data. We now have 5 different renderers: OSD, Seagull Wireless, PowerPanel, Windows PC Live Mode, and PC download.

That is one thing that concerns me about all the new entrants to the RC data market. Many of them are new to the data collection field, as well as the rendering field. You are getting "1.0" stuff from top to bottom.

Let's take, for example, something as "simple" as current sensing. Anyone can throw a current sensor and a couple of connectors on a board. We shipped our first RC current sensor in 2003. Since then, we have addressed 100's of issues with current sensing, and these are issues that only show up with wide adoption of products. We individually calibrate every board (lots of aspects of the circuit can vary from board to board), we provide tools for self calibration/zeroing from time to time, and most importantly our firmware handles the innumerable issues that can occur with various setups, such as variations with RPM and many other factors.

I noticed that one new OSD vendor is already encountering the the tip of the iceberg of issues with current sensing, and is requiring his customers to buy more hardware to update the board. Do yourself a favor and don't buy an OSD that doesn't come with the ability to update its firmware.

Regarding whether to buy our present OSD and take advantage of the upgrade later, one advantage of buying now (aside from having an OSD right now) is that you lock in the cost of the upgrade to the Pro at $20 + shipping.

I hope that the Pro OSD Expander comes in at $64.99, but not all the parts are priced out yet, so it could be more (but probably not a lot more).

Hope I hit all the questions. Sorry for rambling! Please post any/all further questions, comments, or flames!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Sep 15, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Of course, we will learn a lot over the next months as we try this with various beta testers' planes. Once the first production run of hardware is done, the firmware working, and initial beta is done, we will solicit for early adopters to participate in this testing (just like we did with the standard OSD).
If you're starting a list of possible beta testers, then I would be very interested However, I realize you probably have a long list already.

thanks,
-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
For a guy who has no OSD, and hasn't done enough homework, I find the Eagletree very exciting, but confusing.

If I wanted to buy one now, and upgrade to Pro as soon as it comes out, what would I need to have all of the bells and whistles? I find the OSD, various sensors, data loggers, etc. I will be running a single batter for flight, and a second for Video, I definitely want a RTH feature. So I get the Complete OSD package and I am good to go?

SmashSE
SmashSE is offline Find More Posts by SmashSE
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:02 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc
If you're starting a list of possible beta testers, then I would be very interested However, I realize you probably have a long list already.

thanks,
-tychoc
vario tones! I want be a beta tester too!!!! please
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Bill, I'm excited about this announcement and happy that you guys listen so well to your customers request. This very well could be the "perfect" OSD solution considering all the options available and the easy upating options you guys offer via firmware updates.

Since we know you already make top quality equipment, I think we all know what to expect when these things start shipping!
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Bill, if you guys let me be a Beta tester I would be glad to provide you with some awesome promotional video of rockets being fired in flight

(With or without the "BUSHMAN IS AWESOME" feature)
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA