HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2010, 07:09 AM
Joined Oct 2004
10 Posts
Quick question peeps, I currently own ETLogger + OSD Pro. I'd like to get Return-to-Home to work as reliably possible on my Funjet.

Doable ? How good/bad results should I expect ?

I'm reading Alt/Speed sensors are used by the RTH function, same goes for the FMA sensors ? If yes, do I need sensors on all three axis ?

Thanks in advance!
zmooth is offline Find More Posts by zmooth
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
Bumpy di bump

Hi,
My answer might be in one of these 3620 post, but oh, lifes to short, so ill fire away

If i have the old OSD, and dont plan to hook up any servos for artif hor or similar, is it just plug and play for me and necessary setup in software for what preferences i want to use/see on the display, and no other precautions needed to be aware of?
Yea, im referring to the OSD Pro...
aeropics is offline Find More Posts by aeropics
Old May 03, 2010, 11:35 AM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJoe View Post
Did you test fly the "plane" in the flight sim before you tried it out for real..??

sorry for the loss...

I cant seem to get a break ---evey time I try to fly its too windy or its raining..!

keeps the plane in one piece ---
Actually I've been using/testing the RTH every flight since last fall. I did get a new TX (DX7) and ran through the safety wizard and tested in the flight sim.

It flew fine all the deflections seemed right, but in RTH it decided it needed to dive.

Iím piecing it back together and when I try it again, I'm turning everything WAY down and work my way up.
Ellis108 is offline Find More Posts by Ellis108
Old May 03, 2010, 12:15 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
"r = 17.31 * 0.6 * sqrt((d^2/4)/(f*d)), where f = freq in MHz, d = distance between antennas in meters, and r is the minimum combined antenna height (in meters)."

The answer is 7?
No, the answer is 42. ALWAYS 42.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old May 03, 2010, 12:20 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006 View Post
Thanks Geoff, but not quite. Some items like the altitude and speed ladders are either on or off in every active window.
ok, I see where your heading with it now.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old May 03, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming View Post
Cheers AgentCow for the further kick in the teeth!

4 miles is very surprising, considering all the threads I've followed on Spektrum gear (used with FPV) have strugged to even get half that (even 2 miles)...

I've given in to the fact it just isn't going to happen, even though I've been given great advise and support on this subject in the past, therefore will make the big leap to UHF when I feel I want to justify sending over $300 for such a system (or if I can even be bothered)!!

Unless of course you are happy to provide any further guidance/advice on getting the best results out of Spektrum gear?? Please PM if you prefer. It would be greatly appreciated.
Using my old DX6i and AR6200 I got 4500' LOS before chickening out. I was using a parabolic antenna add on.

-Ellis
Old May 03, 2010, 02:35 PM
Nothing but high quality
United States, CT, Glastonbury
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
How would you go about making one of those antenna?

Jon
Dadude is offline Find More Posts by Dadude
Old May 03, 2010, 03:16 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006 View Post
Thanks Geoff, but not quite. Some items like the altitude and speed ladders are either on or off in every active window.
Right. There is a request in to have the ribbons be able to be off/1/2/3/4/5/all on config (to indicate which page to have them only on in the config screen). Bill has it on his list.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old May 03, 2010, 03:18 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis108 View Post
Actually I've been using/testing the RTH every flight since last fall. I did get a new TX (DX7) and ran through the safety wizard and tested in the flight sim.

It flew fine all the deflections seemed right, but in RTH it decided it needed to dive.

Iím piecing it back together and when I try it again, I'm turning everything WAY down and work my way up.
Trying to figure out how testing RTH would lock you into a permanant death spiral. I just turn my RTH back off (unless you were in RTH for real and had not solution). I've had different wind conditions put me into too much of a turn, especial when low and it just ends up adding power, pulling up elevator and continuing to bank...normally, just turn tx back on or exit carlyle RTH method.
Old May 03, 2010, 04:50 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:

I had once a problem, that the CG changed, other battery, so I had to change the elevator trim on the TX but didn't run the saftey wizard to store the new neutral settings, so when RTH switched on I got up elevator/ stall and death spiral, best to come out full throttle and aileron in the other direction of the spiral.
And don't forget if you change the servo neutral settings on your TX you have to change your FS settings in the RX too.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old May 03, 2010, 06:39 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Trying to figure out how testing RTH would lock you into a permanant death spiral. I just turn my RTH back off (unless you were in RTH for real and had not solution). I've had different wind conditions put me into too much of a turn, especial when low and it just ends up adding power, pulling up elevator and continuing to bank...normally, just turn tx back on or exit carlyle RTH method.
It wasn't so much as locked into a death spiral as the wing spapped in two soon after - I think an unfortunite gust of wind played into it. That was the second attempt at testing the RTH that flight and it did it both times - should of landed after one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentel View Post
I had once a problem, that the CG changed, other battery, so I had to change the elevator trim on the TX but didn't run the saftey wizard to store the new neutral settings, so when RTH switched on I got up elevator/ stall and death spiral, best to come out full throttle and aileron in the other direction of the spiral.
And don't forget if you change the servo neutral settings on your TX you have to change your FS settings in the RX too.
Thanks for the tip. So, with half a wing do you give it right aileron and left rudder or is it left aileron...

-Ellis
Old May 03, 2010, 08:39 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. So, with half a wing do you give it right aileron and left rudder or is it left aileron...

-Ellis
Heheh...point taken. Not trying to play arm-chair quarter back. I know that the review of these crashes after the fact when I video tape them has brought amazing new introspection into what was REALLY happening vs. what I THOUGHT was happening at the time. Every time, I learn a ton. I've decided to NEVER not tape any of my flights again...
Old May 03, 2010, 08:41 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Great news!

I just turned everthing on, and it all works! I had to let it dry out after the crash in the trees and swamp.

Also I found the the pitch derrivitive gain was turned to 60.

-Ellis
Old May 03, 2010, 08:53 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Ouch. That will be BAD, depending on where your stick limits were...
Old May 03, 2010, 09:06 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Heheh...point taken. Not trying to play arm-chair quarter back. I know that the review of these crashes after the fact when I video tape them has brought amazing new introspection into what was REALLY happening vs. what I THOUGHT was happening at the time. Every time, I learn a ton. I've decided to NEVER not tape any of my flights again...
I couldn't agree more. Too bad my Aiptek camcorder is dead and I'm still waiting for the Sata DVR HDD BFD to come from China.

I did have max stick limits, although on the low rate. I haven't messed with partial limits - seems one should be able to dial it down in the values (someone smarter than me that is).

-Ellis