SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:05 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
619 Posts
The line on the small circle is the home arrow. If you need to turn left 20 degrees to get to home (based on your present course) the line will point to 20 degrees.
Hello Bill this does look strange to me i dont understan ? but make the line shov the planes hedding please.
Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Lars,

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say if you need to turn RIGHT 20 degrees, the line will point to the right. It basically points to the direction you need to turn, to get home.

The heading is shown in two ways: a) graphically, using the "floating card" compass readout, and numerically, showing the numerical heading.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi Bushman,

With RADAR, the center of the screen marks the takeoff point, in a "bird's eye" view. The location of the small circle, relative to the center of the screen, indicates where you are on a map, relative to home, north up, bird's eye view.

The line on the small circle is the home arrow. If you need to turn right 20 degrees to get to home (based on your present course) the line will point to 20 degrees.

The only reason for combining the home arrow with the RADAR circle was because that's similar to what F-16's do. :-) Of course, we can separate the home arrow from the Home RADAR feature, and perhaps we should. We could make the home arrow a separate gauge at the bottom of the screen, or a line orbiting the center.

Ah ok. The center of the screen is takeoff point, the circle is the aircraft. The line doesn't point to home relative to the birds eye view with north up. Instead it points to home relative to your current heading.

Would seem a little more intuitive to just have the line point in the direction of the aircraft's heading and let the user's brain decide witch way to turn
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Bushman et al, we have changed the small circle to be a little aircraft symbol, and will have the symbol's nose point toward its heading. Separately, we will have the "traditional" OSD home arrow on the bottom of the screen. Here's the updated graphic:

The nice thing is that the way we are building the graphics, we can easily change stuff like this even after we ship, without having to change much code.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Sep 14, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Bill,

I know this came up with RVs F-16 display too. Will we be able to push the graphical representation of altitude and speed all the way to the sides of the screen for a less intrusive view, but still with the added advantage of the graphics?

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
Do you have an IMU in the works? also, looks like the little plane could overlap the the other items on the screen, but i know this is just a "representation" of the final product. any idea what this osd would look like after being Tx/Rx by our NTSC or PAL equipment? The big dot in the center has got to go. other than that it looks very promising. you sure delivered with the first osd, so i'll bet you do great with this.
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Bushman et al, we have changed the small circle to be a little aircraft symbol, and will have the symbol's nose point toward its heading. Separately, we will have the "traditional" OSD home arrow on the bottom of the screen. Here's the updated graphic:

Well, since you are on the ball today, make sure you have a feature that displays, "BUSHMAN IS AWESOME" every time the unit detects missiles firing or explosions going off.

Thanks!!

BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Hi Carlyle,

If this question is directed to me, I certainly can't give an unbiased answer, but here goes:

Personally, I usually buy things that are available now, if I need them now and they do what I need. I'm even more inclined to buy something now if I have the opportunity of upgrading it later. There are a few OSDs available now (ours is one), and I've lost count of the ones announced for later. Since our system is modular, we are offering a $20 upgrade that lets you have OSD now, and OSD on steroids later.

Our hope is that by doing this we will make the decision easy, but I definitely want to hear if we are off base!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Hi Bill, thanks for your reply.

I've never had anything from Eagletree and would be starting from scratch so I have a few questions pertaining to what I need now and what it is going to ultimately cost to do what you show in the OSD PRO description.

1)What is the OSD complete package you have now priced at $264.97 on your website?

2)Is that the package I need to get started right now, it's backordered you know?

3)And then the OSD PRO will cost only an additional $20?

4)Just doing a little math, so to do what you show in post #1 is only going to cost me $284.97 overall?

5)And I don't need anything extra to show that data you have shown in post #1?

Thanks for your answers.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
CATPart, we are slowly working on a low cost IMU. The little plane will be constrained to the non-display area. The big dot is transparent except for the outline, but we can definitely change it to just a point or similar.

Re what the actual video will look like, here's a link to poor quality video of a "real" F-16 HUD in action.
F16 HUD - NOT a simulator!!! (5 min 23 sec)

I believe our text will be sharper, due to the black outline we're adding.

Bushman, we added that to the standard OSD for you and of course will keep it in the pro!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Carlyle:

Quote:
Hi Bill, thanks for your reply.

I've never had anything from Eagletree and would be starting from scratch so I have a few questions pertaining to what I need now and what it is going to ultimately cost to do what you show in the OSD PRO description.

1)What is the OSD complete package you have now priced at $264.97 on your website?
That package includes our eLogger, our GPS, and our standard OSD Expander.

Of those 3 pieces, only the standard OSD Expander needs to be replaced to upgrade to the Pro system.

This package includes everything you need to display and log: Voltage, Current, mAH, groundspeed, Home Arrow, Distance to Pilot, GPS altitude, GPS position, Wattage, Rx Hits.

Quote:
2)Is that the package I need to get started right now, it's backordered you know?
Yes, that's all you need for the above features. Of course, we have lots of other sensors you can add as needed.

We sold out of the OSD Expander but should be getting more in about 1 week. That's why the package is backordered.

Quote:
3)And then the OSD PRO will cost only an additional $20?
4)Just doing a little math, so to do what you show in post #1 is only going to cost me $284.97 overall?
That is correct. When the OSD Pro Expander is available, you just return your standard OSD Expander to us, and we send you the Pro Expander for $19.99 + shipping.

Quote:
5)And I don't need anything extra to show that data you have shown in post #1?
Post # 1 has the following additional sensors, which are displayed in the text lines top and bottom:

* two "micro" temperature sensors
* airspeed sensor
* barometric altitude sensor
* brushless RPM sensor
* servo current sensor
* receiver voltage sensor
* G-force Expander
* Spektrum FlightLog interface cable

Of course, none of these are required for a fully functional OSD, and they can be added later just by plugging them in and setting up the software.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,855 Posts
Hey Bill,
Man this will be cool
will we be able to monitor two battery's with this, like the battery for my cam and the battery for my plane

Thanks G
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:57 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I can't wait to upgrade.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Thanks for your reply again:

I have more questions concerning the return to home function.

1) Does it use the rudder to turn the plane? or the ailerons?

2) Can the rate of turn be adjusted? (So it doesn't put the plane in a spin)

3) Can it maintain altitude by actively using the elevator?

4) Can it be programmed to descend or ascend to a preset altitude should the rc signal be lost? (For example, flying far away and too low to maintain line of sight so video is lost, then activate autopilot, plane comes up to a preset altitude on its way back home, video comes back and I resume flying.)

5) If it can goto a preset altitude, can the rate of climb or descent be adjusted?

6) So just how does the OSD PRO detect when the rc signal is lost? (I only have a throttle failsafe on my receiver and it holds the last servo position for the rest of the servos.)

7) Can the return to home be manually activated without turning the rc transmitter off?

8) Is it able to control the throttle as well or will the receiver throttle failsafe function to set the throttle in case of rc signal loss?

9) I may think of more question later. Thank you.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
Hi Bill, in Post #25 you wrote...

"Post # 1 has the following additional sensors, which are displayed in the text lines top and bottom:

* two "micro" temperature sensors
* airspeed sensor
* barometric altitude sensor
* brushless RPM sensor
* servo current sensor
* receiver voltage sensor
* G-force Expander
* Spektrum FlightLog interface cable"

1. Is the 'receiver voltager sensor' available now?

2. Does the 'receiver voltage sensor' allow monitoring a 2nd battery voltage other than the receivers voltage taken from the ESC?

3. Will the Spectrum Flightlog interface cable be able to be used concurrently with the GPS expander module, which is not currently the case with the V3 micro logger?

I will be holding on till December to upgrade ASAP.
Looks great.

cheers Geoff
garris2 is online now Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
Hi again Bill, will this unit have the ability to set, say half a dozen, waypoints such that you can fly a set course, like go on a cross country mission? That would be sooo cool. If not, could you design it in please.

cheers Geoff
garris2 is online now Find More Posts by garris2