Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:52 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
[QUOTE][yea you should be able to splice in to the audio for the osd to report things/QUOTE]

Been thinking more on this. If I don't give audio in from the mic to the osd how will the osd audio interrupt the mic output. It seems in the videos I have seen that the mic audio is cut while the OSD audio is on. I think I will cut the white wire from the board and run the board side to audio in on the osd then run audio out to the other side of the cut wire. If the negative pins on the osd audio and video bus share the same ground then I shouldn't need to run a ground wire with the audio signal wires. Does this sound correct? I won't be running any live voltage wires so any tests shouldn't damage anything!!
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
fergus
yup !

sounds ok to me..

but a note ..I think the osd sends its own audio so if no mike ..just no background sound when the osd stops....doent need the mike...my mike went bad and I still heard my osd..

get it in the air....

good flyin'
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Ashburn, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2008
73 Posts
I have seen that when OSD audio tries to say something I see video interruption. What is this caused by?
rajesh5024 is offline Find More Posts by rajesh5024
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:53 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator View Post
One thing you could try is running the wizard again and try setting throttle climb position a little higher to see if that works.
I did try that and flew it again today with no luck. One reason may be that I have the transmitter set in the Heli mode so I can use channel 6 as throttle hold which puts the OSD into simulated loss of signal. Could the be disabling the motor?
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
I did try that and flew it again today with no luck. One reason may be that I have the transmitter set in the Heli mode so I can use channel 6 as throttle hold which puts the OSD into simulated loss of signal. Could the be disabling the motor?
"I have the transmitter set in the Heli mode"

When running through the wizard, if the Throttle is not being raised when you raise the stick, (cause its being held), the OSD has no other way of detecting what would be an increased throttle signal.

I suggest setting your Tx into Airplane mode and setting up a switch that reduces the throttle setting ever so slightly when the stick is in idle position. This is known in this thread as the Carlyle method. This way you can force the OSD into RTH mode by flicking the swich and the throttle needs to be at idle position at the same time.
This way, if things go bad during RTH setup and testing, all you need to do is raise the throttle from idle position slightly or flick the switch, and you regain control.

So with the switch set to the test RTH position you can infact turn RTH on and off just by adjusting the throttle position up and down a little bit around the idle position.

cheers Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Sorry for my absence! Cralis, that's one sharp looking plane. I think your questions have been answered, but to clarify one thing: our data logger and windows application both display GPS altitude as MSL (as reported from the GPS), without zeroing. Our OSD Pro product ONLY displays zeroed GPS altitude. I think we will fix this bit of cognitive dissonance down the road. All our equipment and software zero bases the barometric altitude.

Rsowder, if garris2's suggestion doesn't solve your "no throttle during RTH" problem, I wonder if your issue may be due to your cruise speed setting in the safety mode screen?

If the cruise speed you select is less than your present speed, the throttle will not be engaged. This is a "sanity check" to try to prevent throttle up in a dive, etc. If that is not the problem, could you post a brief video showing your safety mode screen settings (or just type the settings). That may offer more clues.

Jannoon, no, waypoints beyond VLOS are presently not supported. Sorry about that!

rajesh5024, if you are seeing lines in the video during voice announcements, please make sure the "voice alert volume" is either 1 or 2. Most transmitters can't handle higher levels.

tcruise77, the link below lists several great FPV dealers who supply complete FPV packages, including Eagle Tree OSD equipment.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/OSD/OSD-Pro.htm

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
I suggest setting your Tx into Airplane mode and setting up a switch that reduces the throttle setting ever so slightly when the stick is in idle position.
cheers Geoff
When you say to set up a switch to reduce throttle setting, are you talking about the flap or great switch
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,038 Posts
"When you say to set up a switch to reduce throttle setting, are you talking about the flap or great switch "

Yes, but not the switch you are using for your great (gear), and not the switch you are using for your flaps. Any free switch that is assignable and you like the position.

Geoff
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:54 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Any free switch that is assignable and you like the position.
I have the Futaba T6EX and I don't see any way to assign a switch. I was thinking that I could set the throttle trim a couple clicks down when running the OSD wizard and then set it up a couple clicks for normal fight. When I want to engage the RTH, I could just set the throttle at idle and click the trim down a couple notches to engage the RTH. Do you think that would work? Thanks for you help by the way

Randy
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Rsowder, if garris2's suggestion doesn't solve your "no throttle during RTH" problem, I wonder if your issue may be due to your cruise speed setting in the safety mode screen?

If the cruise speed you select is less than your present speed, the throttle will not be engaged. This is a "sanity check" to try to prevent throttle up in a dive, etc. If that is not the problem, could you post a brief video showing your safety mode screen settings (or just type the settings). That may offer more clues.
Bill,

What I did is set the throttle trim to zero, then ran the safety wizard. After that, I set the throttle trim 8 clicks up. So, when I reduce the throttle idle and set the trim to zero, it goes into RTH. At idle and 8 clicks up, it works normally. It's not as simple as flipping a single switch, but should it work ok? It seems to work on the simulator, but the motor does not run even when I have a simulated altitude of 150 feet. But I think I read that the airspeed can't read zero for the motor to run.

Here are the current settings:

Return to home
Standard
PCM/FS
1 FS Chns

Here is an edited video of my last flight

OSD Pro RTH Test 2 (4 min 15 sec)

Thanks,
Randy
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,038 Posts
Hi rsowder, yes you can do it by using the trim but its not as elegant as using a switch.
Do you have the manual for your transmitter?
Here is a link for you Tx I think..... http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf
Use one of the Programmable mixes PMX1 or PMX2 page 19 of the manual.
Follow the steps in the manual.
1. Set Throttle as the master.
2. AND set throttle as the slave. (Most Tx's allow mixing channels into them selves. You just have to try it to see if it will work).
3. Set the mixing percentage at -105 ~ -110%.
4. Select the switch that will be used.

Connect a servo to the throttle channel and observe what it is doing when you flick the switch. You should be able to see the servo move just a little bit when you flick the switch when the throttle stick is in the idle position. You will need to adjust the % as negative or positive to get the correct travel direction.
Normal flight should be with the switch giving -100% travel for Idle and +100% for max throttle. Run the OSD Pro wizard with the switch set to give -105 ~ -110% travel at the idle position. Don't forget to put your trim back to 0.
Remember, to force RTH your throttle stick must be at idle.

Test it thoroughly on the ground and get familiar with it before flying.

cheers Geoff
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Use one of the Programmable mixes PMX1 or PMX2 page 19 of the manual.
Follow the steps in the manual.
1. Set Throttle as the master.
2. AND set throttle as the slave. (Most Tx's allow mixing channels into them selves. You just have to try it to see if it will work).
3. Set the mixing percentage at -105 ~ -110%.
4. Select the switch that will be used.
Wow, I had no idea the PMX1 and PMX2 could do that. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works. Thanks!

Randy
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:30 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Request for new function:

Bill, would it be possible to have a 'Reset Home' position from the radio Tx? Something that basically says, 'This is my home position'. I'm finding that my GPS is taking a while to get a good lock. Once all is settled, my home arrow is pointing somwhere, and my distance to home is 29 meters. It would be nice to be able to say, 'No no... you're 0 Meters from home now, OSD Pro!'.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Does anyone have experience here with the new RSSI board and DL. I have confirmed that the signal from the DL is output in an analog format but is derived digitally within the DL to isolate it from the receiver. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2915

My questions is do I still need the expansion RSSI board to use DL RSSI, and if not can I use GPS and RSSI without it now?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Last edited by chimaera; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:10 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Nate, check the DL thread. I just posted a report of my bench test with RSSI hooked up directly to Temp 1. It seems to be working well, reporting different RSSI numbers as I move the tx around the house. Come on over and take a look if you want.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator