HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2009, 04:13 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Bill - I posted sample video just before you posted... can you comment on the text wiggling?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:43 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Jhondra, correct, the max input on the temp pins is 5V. Re the stick limits, those should not ever be changing, assuming you are selecting "EXIT" to get out of the on-screen menus. Hmm, is it possible that you are letting the menu time out, rather than hitting EXIT, after making changes? If so, the changes will be lost on the next power cycle. That's a bug in my book, and I just fixed it. :S It may be possible for us to get the UI together for editing the limits fairly soon. But, we should definitely get to the bottom of lost settings if they are still occurring.
Yup! That is EXACTLY what I was doing (I hated to toggle down to the exit). LOL. Good call. You are Aces, Bill. Thanks! And thanks for the note on the 5v max sample on the Temp inputs. That helps too, and makes it EASY for me to hook up my 12v camera battery knowing the R8 is a 5k ohm res. Like you said, 10k series res should work just fine for a 0-15v (scaled to 0-5v) range. Now, just need the new FW that normalizes that as a voltage sensor. I would assume you will give us the option to manual scale the temp sensors and put in what we want the max scale to read when it samples 5v? That would be awesome and allow us to do our own scaling for just about anything!
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Bill, Jhondra

just as clarification. The positve battery lead woul be in series with a 10k resister then to the temp sensor pin. Presumably one needs to connect the battery ground (neg) to the tmp ground pin?

Thanks
Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Oct 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Prop RPM Display

Thank you Bill for working out the bug.
I will report back about how my OSD responds once i get to it.
You are not the ony one working on Saturdays.
Regarding the upcomming board wich will support 2 extra voltages and graphical displays, that will work just fine for me.
Thank you.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:56 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Re the stick limits, those should not ever be changing, assuming you are selecting "EXIT" to get out of the on-screen menus. Hmm, is it possible that you are letting the menu time out, rather than hitting EXIT, after making changes? If so, the changes will be lost on the next power cycle. That's a bug in my book, and I just fixed it. :S It may be possible for us to get the UI together for editing the limits fairly soon. But, we should definitely get to the bottom of lost settings if they are still occurring.

Cralis, most of the settings can be configured through the PC. One big exception is running the RTH wizard, which does require Tx setup. of course, once that's configured, you can free up the dedicated channel required to configure via the TX.
Bill, for Eagle Tree
Hello Bill,
what is the correct way if I change the paramaters for RTH during flight.
Will it be taken over as soon as I move to the next parameter ?
Must I exit all menus ?
When will the changed parameter be active ?

FYI, even with the latest 7.96 FW I can not set variometer parameters via PC.
regards Volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:22 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
"flying" recorded GPS tracts in Google earth

Hi Bill

Can you have a quick look at this screen capture video of flying a tract in google earth.

The video shows two tracts we recorded last week in the rockies. The red one is mine derrived from my ET GPS logging of an easy star flight. The Blue tract is a friend 's using a standalone GPS tracker that also outputs a KML/KMZ file to google. The video shows flying the tract my friend's logger created. The difference is that his file shows as a single path with multiple GPS points, whereas the ET kml file has each GPS point as seperate with seperate headers, and I can't get Google earth to "fly" all those seperate points.

Have a look at the screen capture: http://vimeo.com/7100656

Any chance you can adjust the ET kml file to allow flying the tract ? I know more requests

Thanks
Al

p.s. I stupidly plugged my OSD in backwards on my striker so no data, but we had a great FPV day. If anyone wants a quick look at one of my stryker flight videos, it is here
FPV oct 12-09 (4 min 12 sec)
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Last edited by alros_100; Oct 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:11 AM
SPL
Joined Aug 2008
103 Posts
Hi,

When will the "timer" function will be available on the OSD?
SPL is offline Find More Posts by SPL
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:21 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
That stryker video is very nice.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersiani
5V -clean - switching power supply YES YES for my VTx
10-11V maybe: need to check if my camera is happy with that instead of 12V

I will make some trials this week end, however I know that a fresh 2S Lipo would give a blank screen so not much margin.

Vincent
OK did my test today and... Camera is running down to 6.5V!!
Not sure how I did my previous test (actually I think that my supposedly fresh 2S Lipo was nearly empty. Measured it today and showed 6V) but this time was done with regulated power supply checked with voltmeter so data is reliable...

Camera is from Intelligent Flight model IF-CAM20, advertised as "12Vą10% DC
100mA draw.Note that we run the cameras at 9v just fine. Below 8 volts you will see the quality deteriorate rapidly."

Vincent
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
All, I just posted instructions on how to monitor up to 3 batteries. That information is posted here . It would get quickly buried if I posted it on this thread.

Cralis, looks like we were both working hard at 12:51AM Saturday. Regarding the wiggly text, this only happens in the menus. It's a relatively simple firmware fix, but I'd like to wait until we ship the EagleEyes before fixing it. The fix will be part of a big performance improvement (up to 6X update rate). This is already coded up, but needs lots of testing. Regarding improvement of the text appearance, we use a soft font developed in-house, so anything is possible. One simple thing we could do is put two pixel-widths of black around each character, instead of a single pixel width, which would certainly improve contrast, if that is the main issue. Please provide more feedback on what you want to see.

Jhondra, I had a lucky guess on your settings issue. Happens every now and again. That's fixed in the latest beta version.

andrebandre, the bug pertaining to displaying prop RPM without motor RPM is now fixed also.

Volker, the way the menu updates work is as follows:
*Any changes that are made in the menus take effect instantly, unless we have a bug.
*Changes are saved to PERMANENT memory (meaning they are available when the OSD Pro is power cycled) when Exit is clicked on any of the menus, or when the menu times out after about 15 seconds of no switch activity.

Regarding changing the vario parameters with the PC version of the on-screen menus, I've made a note of that. Will get that checked out for you.

alros_100, regarding track playback of recorded flights in Google Earth, we have a work item for that. I think it's as simple as changing the type of data points we write to the KML file, but we'll need to just dig in and get it fixed. I don't think the capability existed when we did the initial KML work.

SPL, the work item for timers is probably not going to be done until the EagleEyes goes into beta.

vpersiani, if you rapidly vary the camera input voltage between, say, 9V and 11V with your cameras, do you see any video artifacts?

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Oct 18, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to pick up some 10K resistors!

Very cool, Bill.

Tim

Edit: oops, I thought I was replying in the other thread discussing the battery monitoring... lol
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Small bug: when the plane icon on the radar reaches the top screen text (ie: servo travels...) it "cleans" that part of the text like a "sponge" :P ..and the text never comes back (if not when powercycling / removing-readding that text).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:35 PM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
One simple thing we could do is put two pixel-widths of black around each character, instead of a single pixel width, which would certainly improve contrast
I would like that change.
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:09 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Cralis, looks like we were both working hard at 12:51AM Saturday. Regarding the wiggly text, this only happens in the menus. It's a relatively simple firmware fix, but I'd like to wait until we ship the EagleEyes before fixing it. The fix will be part of a big performance improvement (up to 6X update rate). This is already coded up, but needs lots of testing. Regarding improvement of the text appearance, we use a soft font developed in-house, so anything is possible. One simple thing we could do is put two pixel-widths of black around each character, instead of a single pixel width, which would certainly improve contrast, if that is the main issue. Please provide more feedback on what you want to see.
Thanks Bill!
Looking forward to the wiggly text fix. No rush, as you say, though. Just glad I don't have an issue.

With regards the text - that would rock! My ONLY gripe at the moment is the unclear looking font, but great to know there's a possible fix being looked at.

I haven't flown yet - but will send feeback once I am more airborne.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
I would like that change too Bill (2 pixel widths of black) and is there a way of making the inverse text black, blacker? Say being able to adjust the black level below zero? I feel there needs to be more contrast overall.

cheers Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2