SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2009, 01:18 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
arkcom, that's correct, throttle control with RTH is disabled below about 60 feet. This is a safety feature, that keeps RTH from flying your plane away if you forget to turn off your RX before your TX.

The RTH should continue to operate if the video source quits, unless there is a bug. I've logged a bug on that, and we will get it checked out and fixed. Further, we still have a work item to start voice readback of GPS lat/lon if the video quits.

Glad to hear RSSI is working on a variety of radios! Regarding the requirement of using a buffer or removing a resistor on the eLogger for RTH to function, to date I think that is has only been required with the LRS system. Good thing that's not a popular setup <just kidding>. If you want to use RSSI with LRS, right now you will either need to build or obtain a buffer (one is going to be available for purchase very soon) or you need to remove the resistor "R8" between the middle pin of temp 1 and the middle pin of the RPM sensor, which requires snipping the bottom of the heatshrink on the eLogger.

npole, I'm afraid its going to be a while before we get to the change for your DVR - probably after the EagleEyes ships. Sorry about that.

Kiof, glad the RSSI is working, and yes, that is the correct message - it indicates that RTH is active. In the simulator, you should see your plane's servos moving correctly as RTH brings the plane home - this is always a good test before trying RTH in the air.

webdr, that's absolutely correct. After the EagleEyes ships, we will be doing an "Advanced FPV Expander" that has the following:

* Direct connect of either the digital or analog FMA X/Y thermal sensors, and optionally the Z sensor. OSD Pro stabilization will be supported with this board, without the Copilot computer. There will also be some cool enhancements to AHI with that release.
* RSSI support - the board will provide support for analog RSSI with RX's with an analog RSSI output, as well as full Spektrum "RX health" data. Note that simultaneous Spektrum RSSI + GPS will be supported.
* Video battery voltage support
* "breakout connections" that let you connect our other microsensors in a "star" configuration instead of a daisy chain configuration, for more convenient wiring.
* cost should come in at around $20, but this is TBD

Right now, RSSI and AHI display are working, but require a little more wiring than I'd like, especially with AHI. The new board will make all that plug & play (aside from still needing to crack open your Rx for the RSSI connection), as well as adding the new features above.

That said, as long as you can find the RSSI output of the Futaba, it will probably work when connected to pin 2 of the Temp 1 input, without further ado.

npole, sometimes we do have to clear the text configuration during upgrades - sorry about that! It only happens when we change internal structures, but that happened on the last upgrade for the new RSSI calibration support. Fortunately, the on-screen config, like RTH settings, should never be cleared. We plan on saving/restoring the settings to a text file, and at that time, the problem will be eliminated.

Correct, the THR parameter indeed works only thru the eLogger connection, but note that you can get a superset of that display when you turn on servo deflection display.

arkcom, good suggestion on the switch settings. I've made a note of that in the feature request list. It will probably have to wait until the EagleEyes ships.

Volker, the input impedance is about 5K with R8 in place, and MUCH higher without R8. All, it's critical of course to do a range check after you change your wiring, especially soldering into your Rx!

emagnee, sorry about the bug with Temp A - that is now fixed, and will be posted with version 7.96, hopefully this week. Yes, the factory reset does clear the version number of the OSD Pro firmware, prompting you to re-flash it. That should not happen and we will get it fixed.

tychoc, that is quite a bit of jumping with the LRS and the buffer. My first thought is that even the buffer may be putting too much load on the LRS RSSI output. If you can stomach it, it might be worth trying removing R8 as above, and seeing if the direct connect method would be better. Regardless, we will add averaging to RSSI asap.

webdr, sounds like Vista was "helping" you. Glad you got it solved.

alros_100, great news on the stabilization! Did you hear back about the issue from FMA? I am guessing it's an issue inside the new x/y sensors, since I think everything else is digital, but that's just a guess. Re the RTH settings, I'm working with Volker on his settings (and he's waiting on an email response from me - sorry). I would recommend first trying RTH in the simulator to ensure that the surfaces are moving as expected.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2009, 03:22 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Hi Bill,
I thought that also for Futaba radios we have to remove the R8 and I have already done this. Is it ok or I have to solder a resistor on the pins?
antomo is offline Find More Posts by antomo
Old Oct 01, 2009, 03:58 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Simple idea to improve the radar: sometime selecting the max distance is not so convenient, because u never know where u gonna fly (well, not always...), it also ends to have a poor "resolution" while you are near to your home when u plan to have a long range flight (you'll end to have the plane icon very near to the center, and you cannot realize how far you really are).
So what about adding the "AUTO" configuration there (it might be selected going with the distance set to ZERO)?
In auto mode, when you take off the radar is set to 500 meters, as soon the plane approaches to the border (ie: 400 meters) it autoexpands to 1000 meters resolution.. then to 3000.. 5000... 10000. An indicator put in a angle would indicate the current resolution to the operator (ie: x0.5 x1.0 x2.0 .. etc.).

Another idea to improve the "manual" RTH: when u're far from home, you only have two indicators that would show you the route to return at home, and both of them must be enabled. One is the radar, the other is the home arrow. Both of em gives to you a good idea of where to point to return at home, but it's not so "immediate" (most of the time you'll end into a "S" to figure out the exact HDG to point back), also these arrows aren't really precise. A neat solution to this would be to add the home indicator on the compass. In example a small letter "H" can move along the compass (on the right HDG), when it reaches the visual limit it stay on the side; in this way you know *immediatly* where to turn to return at home, and you have the exact alignment to return at home (centering the "H" on the compass).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Last edited by npole; Oct 01, 2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 04:31 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,738 Posts
Hi BILL,

Can I ask if anything else is upset by removing R8? And do we have to remove it, or just snip it??

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2009, 06:42 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
* Direct connect of either the digital or analog FMA X/Y thermal sensors, and optionally the Z sensor. OSD Pro stabilization will be supported with this board, without the Copilot computer. There will also be some cool enhancements to AHI with that release.
will the expansion board be supporting only the CPD4 analog thermopiles or will you be supporting the digital CPII sensor as well?
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:49 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym
will the expansion board be supporting only the CPD4 analog thermopiles or will you be supporting the digital CPII sensor as well?
The answer is already in what you quoted!
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:04 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Duh.... I should drink my coffee before I check my email!
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:29 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,992 Posts
Bill, your dedication to your products, customers (existing and potential), and this thread is amazing. Im glad I purchased ET!
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:35 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
I second that !! Absolutely awesome service, great products and just the most amount of features you can ask for (and get it )

!! Thanks Bill and Great work ET !!
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:10 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenb
I second that !! Absolutely awesome service, great products and just the most amount of features you can ask for (and get it )

!! Thanks Bill and Great work ET !!

Absolutely!!

All in favour say "Aye"

Hmmm Maybe not a good idea!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:36 AM
dx4life
Wichita KS
Joined Nov 2004
374 Posts
Long live eagle tree!
BrainDrain_dx is online now Find More Posts by BrainDrain_dx
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:40 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
I'll join the praise. I've been very happy with my EagleTree products.

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:37 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr
Bill, your dedication to your products, customers (existing and potential), and this thread is amazing. Im glad I purchased ET!
absolutely!
Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:16 AM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Yep, me too!

Also -
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
emagnee, sorry about the bug with Temp A - that is now fixed, and will be posted with version 7.96, hopefully this week.
Does anyone have version 7.94 they can post here, please????

I want to get out and fly tonight after work since the next few days here are supposed to be rainy and windy! I use Temp A to monitor my video Tx and don't want to fly without it.

I know - I need to start keeping the releases as they roll out .
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:36 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagnee
Yep, me too!

Also -

Does anyone have version 7.94 they can post here, please????

I want to get out and fly tonight after work since the next few days here are supposed to be rainy and windy! I use Temp A to monitor my video Tx and don't want to fly without it.

I know - I need to start keeping the releases as they roll out .
give me your email and i send you 7.94 beta.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000