HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
I agree with npole- having to reconfigure every time is getting old- can anything be done to save the configurations?
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:35 PM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2008
617 Posts
I have an idea on how to make the menu a little more user friendly.

How about making aux1 compatible with 3 way switches? Up navigates up, down for down, as well as change values. (also allows 3 different osd screens) Aux2 will be the select/enter menu switch. This would be much easier to use than the current setup. If you have 2 channels to spare for the osd, at least one of them is a 3 way switch. (would also still work with the tilt channel, and a single 2 way switch)
arkcom is offline Find More Posts by arkcom
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:32 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Sorry to post off topic. Could anyone comment on extending the gps sensor leads. My tx sits almost on top of the OSD and the gps is as far away as the supplied lead allows which is maybe a foot. Can those leads be extended between the OSD and the GPS or is this a problem? Also would there be any reason to place a toroid on that lead? I tried adding the secondary GPS sensor out on the wingtip with no success, but i suspect the problem originates at the base unit.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:38 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
there is only power and low speed serial data on those wires so extending them is no issue. I have also seen reports that show that putting a torroid on them close to the receiver has improved GPS reception, presumably due to noise coming up the power lines.

I am building a cularis right now with the GPS receiver embedded in the wingtip and I did exactly this.
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera
Sorry to post off topic. Could anyone comment on extending the gps sensor leads. My tx sits almost on top of the OSD and the gps is as far away as the supplied lead allows which is maybe a foot. Can those leads be extended between the OSD and the GPS or is this a problem? Also would there be any reason to place a toroid on that lead? I tried adding the secondary GPS sensor out on the wingtip with no success, but i suspect the problem originates at the base unit.
Yes, you can extend those leads and yes, you should definitely try to put a toroid on that line. That was the 'only' way that I was able to make an appreciable improvement in the number of satellites that I pick up while my video Tx is on.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Bill
Yes, you can extend those leads and yes, you should definitely try to put a toroid on that line. That was the 'only' way that I was able to make an appreciable improvement in the number of satellites that I pick up while my video Tx is on.
Toroid near the gps unit or the osd? I would think GPS.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Bill, one question to RSSI on Temp input, what is the input resistance of the elogger, is it high enough that it will not influence my Rx ?
regards Volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:25 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
bill,

I just got the RSSI from Thomas' LRS working on TempA using the latest firmware, however, I noticed that my percentage keeps jumping around 100-99-100-99-98 etc. Could you put in some running averaging on those numbers to quite them down a little. During flight that could be pretty annoying. Or am I the only one where they keep jumping around like that?

Thanks,

tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc
bill,

I just got the RSSI from Thomas' LRS working on TempA using the latest firmware, however, I noticed that my percentage keeps jumping around 100-99-100-99-98 etc. Could you put in some running averaging on those numbers to quite them down a little. During flight that could be pretty annoying. Or am I the only one where they keep jumping around like that?

Thanks,

tychoc
TYCHOC,

Can you please tell us how you did this. Is there anything you need to do to the Logger?? I am REALLY interested in this one.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
TYCHOC,

Can you please tell us how you did this. Is there anything you need to do to the Logger?? I am REALLY interested in this one.

Cheers
-J
I just put a buffer between the RSSI out from the RX and the temp 1 input. I went for the cheap solution. A 20 cent PN2222 with 3.3K resistor between the emitter and gnd. Total cost from Radio shack, $3 and that includes a package of 15 transistors...

-tychoc
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc
I just put a buffer between the RSSI out from the RX and the temp 1 input. I went for the cheap solution. A 20 cent PN2222 with 3.3K resistor between the emitter and gnd. Total cost from Radio shack, $3 and that includes a package of 15 transistors...

-tychoc
Here's a picture/schematic of what I did:

-tychoc
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:40 PM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Hi Bill,

I'm probably one of the few now who still uses temp. A for temperature, but I have a problem with this measurement with the latest firmware (1.47). The temp. displays as 1347 on the OSD. I know the hardware is good because in live mode, I read the correct value. I do have the "Temp. A as RSSI" set to "No".

Also, after I flash this version, 1.47 is shown under Firmware Control. But once I do a factory reset, the version changes to "unknown". I've tried this 4 times with the same results.

Thanks again for all the recent updates!
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:59 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,954 Posts
Bill, I cant email you the .kml google earth file because I cant see it to send it to you. The only way they will show up (or any saved files from the data recorder is to click "save as" and it will show them.
Im very perplexed by this as its a first.

EDIT: I found the problem. For some reason, I cant open the google earth file or even see it when its in the eagle tree folder within the program files.
I saved the google file on my desktop and it works fine now.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 30, 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:53 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
This is what I see for the RSSI percentage. It's a little jumpy. Maybe this buffer is not enough, however, using a multimeter to measure the voltage, it reads steadily (since it averages the reading I suspect).

Also, with the latest firmware, every time I re-connect to the receiver, I get the menu showing. Is that expected?

thanks,

-tychoc

Testing RSSI (1 min 39 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
Stryker RTH ready to go

HI Bill, Bentel

I sorted out my stabilization issues for my stryker. Replaced the copilot II with an older CPD4 analog version. Stabilization now works great with 900mhz video transmitter absolutely no interference like I was having with copilot II.

Ran out of sunlight tonight up here in the great white north setting up the stabilization and before I could test RTH. Can I ask you for the latest recommended settings for RTH for elevons. I thought I would go with very low proportional gains in the 10-15 range. keep the others at default 50. and slowly increase the prop gains from there.

thanks
Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Last edited by alros_100; Sep 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM.