HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Will the OSD PRO show video pack AND flight pack battery voltages and m/a used?

-------
Posting Cleared - Found My Answer
-------
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
Last edited by Fishbone4u; Sep 28, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
...Also if the plane is in a very tight turn without a lot of forward movement, then I don't think the GPS can detect a heading change. If the turn prop gain is low (or if during safety wizard setup you only move the left turn stick position part of the way rather than all the way left), then the turn is slow enough so that the GPS heading is accurate.
Hum...this got me thinking. If winds aloft are strong enough so that you are blowing lets say plane left to right (heading due north or course 0, winds from course 270), and you trigger RTH, with destination home on off to the rear left (200 course, say), and say the controls try to turn it left, into the wind, but the wind is strong enough to make the plane (relative to the ground) blow right (course 90). The gps *thinks* the plane is traveling away from the intended course to home. There are all sorts of variations to this with different intercept angles, but this is a case I could imagine the gps based RTH getting messed up without the copilot to keep the plane in a reasonable orientation. All the more reason to have very slow heading turn changes. Even if it is constantly overshooting and missing as it gets back close to home and not being critically damped, who cares, as long as it keeps criss-crossing back over me, I could care less. Biggest thing is to make sure turn rate is kept pretty reasonable (more stable airframe helps, probably).

Hum...one more reason a compass setting rather than just relying on GPS forward momentum (relative to fixed point satelites) may be useful.

-Jhondra
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
I agree, very gentle turns is the key.. today i reduced again my stick limit and i trust the RTH alot more coz i don't see my plane doing "acro" while flying.. well with the last setup it wouldn't but i don't feel much confident to look at a 45-60° banking while im not flying it! In the end the RTH is intended to be used only (99.9% of the times) in one circumstance: ur out of range, your plane will turn 180° and start to fly back, until u regain the control, the whold "operation" would keep how much? 30 seconds? Using it like a "fly to waipoints" ...hmm... well it's out of my needs (for the moment).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Jhondra,

I actually have rth working pretty good no matter what the wind conditions are. It's like you said though, gps heading and the direction the plane is pointing are two different things when you have strong winds aloft. There was a time or two I didn't think the plane was turning, when it fact it was turning into the wind, I finally noticed the gps heading changing at the same pace it always had.

I really think the osd needs control of the rudder and not ailerons. By using rudder it is much less likely to turn upsidedown than with ailerons, should anything violent start happening.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:16 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Hi Al,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
Volker
....I found that for my setup it was important to set the turn prop grains quite low - 10-15%. this cause very slow banks only. I think if the turn is too fast, the GPS heading doesn't update fast enought so the RTH keeps turning and overshooting which can create a death spiral. Also if the plane is in a very tight turn without a lot of forward movement, then I don't think the GPS can detect a heading change. If the turn prop gain is low (or if during safety wizard setup you only move the left turn stick position part of the way rather than all the way left), then the turn is slow enough so that the GPS heading is accurate.
During test I had not to much wind.
I set the gains very low, not sure if it was in the video, think yes, my speed is app 40 km/h (25mph), if I look on the deflection it looks like I get elevator up, the plane stalls and the wing gets down into a spiral. I set the turn left only to app 150 deflection, just a little bit, then it didn't end in a spiral. Even with the very low settings it looks like, the plane doesn't want to come back any more, the plane was flying against the wind app 300m/900 feet ahead of me when I stopped the test. Could be that RTH has a problem or CO2 has to much control ?
Quote:
So probably best to set things up to achieve very low turn rate and see if RTH is behaving as expected (ie trying to turn towards home and maintaining altitude). If that is working and the turn rate is too low then you can increase the turn gains.
and if this doesn't help like descriped above ?
and as seen in the video, the plane just stays at the lower/min travel altitude, or below, never climbs up.
Quote:
The challenge with these wings and the stryker is they move really fast and can get out of range rather quickly while we are messing with the settings. I still can't change the settings while flying - I have to land to make changes
I would have the time to chg during the flight, but I better land to chg cfg.
Quote:
p.s. it sounds like you have your copilot II working well and stabilizing in the back ground, right?
Yes, without the CO2 I would have a hard time to operate and rescue my plane, with CO2 I can look away for 1/2 minute without any fear, just keeps going where I point it. I bought a 2nd one.
regards Volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Last edited by mr..speed; Sep 28, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
hello

i already own the V3Elogger, and would buy the OSD if...

question?
what is the weight of the OSD unit?
is the osd compatible with my SKYTRACE GPS receiver with little tweaking ?

thanks
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Sep 28, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:32 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hello!

First, version 7.94 is posted, which contains several requested improvements:

* RTH will now activate regardless of your GPS settings, as long as a) there is a 3D fix, or b) there is at least a 2D fix and you are using the barometric altimeter.
* the acoustic variometer now has an optional "disable if motor running" mode, and the min sink and climb rate ranges are increased.
* Some of the menu text is changed, and the manual is updated, to make a few things more clear.
* A problem where "GPS Altitude" was not spoken should now be fixed.
* A problem with compass alignment on the screen should be fixed.

The download for these bits is here:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Late...beta/setup.exe

npole, I see what you are saying about the issue with the DVR. Is this a popular DVR? What we could do, if you use PAL, is force NTSC mode, which would reduce the number of display lines. Or, we could "crunch" the text closer together slightly if you are using NTSC. A short term measure, which I'm sure you've already thought of, is to just eliminate one line of the parameters, and then you can adjust the vertical offset so that everything would fit.

webdr, re the Google Earth issue, you said you are saving ".kmp" files. I assume you mean ".kml" files? I just installed Google Earth 5.1.35 here and it seems to work fine with saved files. One thing to verify is that you are logging GPS data, under "hardware, choose parameters to log in the recorder." If you are logging GPS, can you post the problem .KML file, or email it to me?

Jhondra/webdr, I tracked down the problem you were hitting when first installing the equipment/software. If the firmware of the eLogger needs updating, the firmware of the OSD Pro needs updating, AND this is the first time you've ever installed the software on your PC, the problem can happen. It will be fixed in the next version.

volker, I sent you an email tonight. Sorry for the delay on this. We will get the elevon situation sorted out for you.

npole/volker/chimaera et al, re making the "stick limits are set in the wizard" behavior more clear, I added more detail about this in the manual, and also changed the wizard text slightly. Hopefully that will clear up the confusion.

Jhondra, re your comment on effects of strong wind, Reckless Bill and I had some great conversations before about permutations of this issue. One thing I plan to do is implement a change to the RTH algorithm, which will compare GPS speed to pitot airspeed, which will let us detect a situation where we are not making headway due to wind.

ggtronic, the OSD Pro Expander "weighs" 13g. Unfortunately, the Skytrace GPS unit would not be an ideal choice for the OSD, since I believe it updates at only 1Hz. And, there would be a lot of potential issues in getting it to work.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:02 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the new updates!

Any news on my RSSI issue? Sent you a mail but have not heard anything yet,

Regards
Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:12 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
npole, I see what you are saying about the issue with the DVR. Is this a popular DVR?
It is the JXD990, it records fine.. it's just the picture shown on the display while recording that has the top bar.

Quote:
What we could do, if you use PAL, is force NTSC mode, which would reduce the number of display lines.
That would be cool (i'm on PAL), setting it to NTSC would works.. so having the option in the PC software to disable the "autodetection" and set it manually would be the solution. Assuming that it wouldn't affect the camera image (but i believe it doesn't).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:22 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
Hi Bill,

I would also like the option to Select through the menu, NTSC or PAL.

I've noticed all my components say they are / support both. So when you power it all up, how does it decide what its gonna be NTSC or PAL... Forcing it will give us more flexibility... if at all possible

Thanks
Charl
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:11 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Hi all

I've looked back through the thread for any talk about my question but wasn't able to find anything. I have a FCOIII and an Eagle Tree Logger V3 and I was wondering if the FCOIII will work with the OSD Pro? If it can, how?

Thanks in advance
Phil
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:24 AM
kreu01
Joined Oct 2008
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic
hello

i already own the V3Elogger, and would buy the OSD if...

question?
what is the weight of the OSD unit?
is the osd compatible with my SKYTRACE GPS receiver with little tweaking ?

thanks
you can usually it normaly on airplaine, but you canīt connect on the eagle tree e-logger

I do not know if this gps logger log is compatible of the e-logger. you need to check that it is compatible using eagle tree gps logger and put on skytrace software.
kreu01 is offline Find More Posts by kreu01
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:09 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
Hi Bill, thanks for the latest fixes.

cheers Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:23 PM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Yes, thanks Bill!

I was pleasantly surprised to see an update prior to the Eagle Eyes release!
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:32 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Jhondra, re your comment on effects of strong wind, Reckless Bill and I had some great conversations before about permutations of this issue. One thing I plan to do is implement a change to the RTH algorithm, which will compare GPS speed to pitot airspeed, which will let us detect a situation where we are not making headway due to wind.
Thanks, Bill! Looking forward to trying the updates.

Regarding the comment above, it is cool you are trying some new things, but at some point, I'm happy understanding it isn't a full autopilot system and you have to use it with some care. Some times we forget "Keep It Simple Stupid", and we end up complicating things that end up not working in most cases as well as they did before. Either way, it is cool to play with. Thanks!

-Jhondra

P.S. what is the policy for multiple eloggers and unlocking the 512KB of memory?
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra