HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:07 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera
So when the wizard says move to max you only move the stick to where you would have it in the gentle turn you want not to far left?
Somethink like that.. i've recorded a video with the servo deflections on, then i've reviewed it to examine the values (different turns, different elevator...) and i've decided what's the max turn (and elevator) i wanted to apply to avoid in bad behaviour (in example a hard turn that would roll my plane or dive it into a spiral..; and a too much elevator apply that would loop it!); then i've set my radio EPA (end points) temporary, so with a max stick it would end with the above values (examining the output on the OSD on the ground indeed...), in that way you don't have to maintain the stick into an "uncertain/middle" position, and after the wizard i've replaced back the EPA's to their default values.
Now the plane won't turn anymore than those values.. i've tested the RTH yesterday with some strong wind! And it worked as expected.

This is not very clear on the manual.. especially because you can't set the "max stick value" in the OSD after the wizard (i believe Bill will implement it first or late...).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:45 AM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
Bentel
Are you using reckless Bill's Trick to activate failsafe - I wasn't sure why the failsafe kept turning on then off in short bursts while at other times it stayed on for longer. were you turning it on /off ?
What ever Bills trick is,
I activate FS via motor trim to min.
FS via TX switch off ended badly, no more binding after TX on.
Don't know why it turn on/off so quickly, maybe the window for FS impulse is to small, or I have to much jitter on the signal, maybe I increase my RX FS a bit, so I hit it better with the motor trim down.
I fly with diversity, 2 Rx they switch among each other to the one with the better RSSI, on the screen you only see the RSSI of one Rx fix and not the actuall Rx.
Quote:
At times it seemed like it didn't have enough turn proportional gain to overcome the copilot II ? but at around 10:50 it certainly seemed to be able to bank enough and seemed to turn around home. What happens if you take it out farther from home does it find a line to home ?
Al
At my first tries, not in this video, it ended always in a death spiral after 1-2 sec.,
so I lowered all gains, on the wizard I took a min for deflection of 150-200 for elev/aileron, for level flight I gave some throttle, set CO2 stick priority to lower value, => more control by CO2.
I was further away, maybe not in this video, can't upload my 2nd video, says copyright even I made it :-(, Archos bug. There it showed no tendency to turn home.

Waiting for your and Bills comment.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Last edited by mr..speed; Sep 27, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentel
What ever Bills trick is,
I activate FS via motor trim to min.
FS via TX switch off ended badly, no more binding after TX on.
Don't know why it turn on/off so quickly
Hi Bentel

Couldn't find the exact post - but Reckless Bill Mentions it here - he calls it the "Carlyle Method" and Downeym mentions it as well (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=1377).

Essentially set your throttle travel on the low side to a very low value, then rebind your receiver - this will now be the new throttle fail safe. Now reset your travel back to normal and go through the OSD wizard as usual. Also program a button to set the throttle to the that very low fail safe value.

I think your fail safe turns on and off because you are not able to set the value low enough with the trim slider. Also make sure your ESC is on fixed endpoints - otherwise this method won't work.

Regarding your RTH experience - I think it will be a combination of setting the copilot sensitivity and turn / pitch gains to a balanced level through trial and error. Also we are not quite sure if the elevon programming is 100% yet.

I am getting a copilot version 1 today from a friend so I hope to be able to join in again with the testing as I simply can't use the copilot II on the stryker

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:37 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Did new test today, set the gain back to default, kept CO2 on more control, it ended again in a death spiral most of the time. Even it looked like the plane was flying away, it was the direction of my home (3 miles away), but I think that's not how it's designed :-). I can't upload the video, my Archos flagged it again as protected, can only display it on the Archos.
I will check the FS setting tomorrow
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Heres my latest test for osd pro but I didnt leave the heli sat long enough on the floor to get the altitude ladder to set properly.
Fpv Trex 450 v2 (5 min 15 sec)

Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Sep 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L14m
Heres my latest test for osd pro but I didnt leave the heli sat long enough on the floor to get the altitude ladder to set properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EzEteREaI
Regards Liam.
LIAM - How hard is it to fly a Chopper FPV? I found it REALLY easy to fly a PLANE... but I have a Blade400 and was thinking about it.

I can fly the B400 OK. Not an expert... but I can push it around a little... I can hover and have good control. My problem is Nose-In is out of the question!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
J Im ok at flying normal with the heli ,I can fly nose in comfortably but to be honest you really dont need to know how to fly nose in for heli fpv as long as when you come into land you have the heli facing tail in to you when you switch over to normal view. I wouldnt try landing fpv style as I tried earlier and ripped one tail blade off and had to land with just one blade hence the bad vibration at the end of the vid lols. If you can fly a heli on grand theft auto ps3 game then you will find it a piece of cake.
Funny you asking this because Ive been thinking of trying a plane / glider but have never flown either before .What are they like to fly compared to helis ? the reason I ask is the flight times are just so much better than helis.
Regards Liam.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:03 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L14m
J Im ok at flying normal with the heli ,I can fly nose in comfortably but to be honest you really dont need to know how to fly nose in for heli fpv as long as when you come into land you have the heli facing tail in to you when you switch over to normal view. I wouldnt try landing fpv style as I tried earlier and ripped one tail blade off and had to land with just one blade hence the bad vibration at the end of the vid lols. If you can fly a heli on grand theft auto ps3 game then you will find it a piece of cake.
Funny you asking this because Ive been thinking of trying a plane / glider but have never flown either before .What are they like to fly compared to helis ? the reason I ask is the flight times are just so much better than helis.
Regards Liam.
I fly a Big Wing EZ Star (Easy Star with Easy Glider wings) and love it! I did think that the flight times on a Heli would be small. I found flying FPV more natural than 3rd person. I fly mode2 so it feels just like flying a flight sim game on my PC - which I have been doing since I could walk!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
The only problem with going the glider root is id be spending even more money on long range rc tx lols.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,486 Posts
I have a JR 66 it is only $160 something and it will go out of sight and still have controll
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't find the exact post - but Reckless Bill Mentions it here - he calls it the "Carlyle Method" and Downeym mentions it as well (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=1377).

Essentially set your throttle travel on the low side to a very low value, then rebind your receiver - this will now be the new throttle fail safe. Now reset your travel back to normal and go through the OSD wizard as usual. Also program a button to set the throttle to the that very low fail safe value.

I think your fail safe turns on and off because you are not able to set the value low enough with the trim slider. Also make sure your ESC is on fixed endpoints - otherwise this method won't work.
Yes all very good points, esc must certainly be on fixed endpoints, otherwise it will relearn your new throttle positions.

Most radios have throttle travel from 0 to 100%, on some this can even go into the negative a bit or over 100% a bit. Find out where the bottom is on your radio that starts the motor with one click up on the throttle stick. Reset the ATV or subtrim for the throttle channel to something less than this by a considerable amount and put the option on a switch, so you can switch from normal trim to low trim. Now, tell the receiver this new low trim position is the throttle failsafe. Once this is done put your radio back to normal trim and proceed with the rth setup procedure. Select, one failsafe channel regardless of your tx/rx system, and when you get to the step that asks you to turn off your radio the receiver will go into failsafe and the osd will record your low trim position as the trigger to activate rth.

Cool, now rth can't be acidentally triggered during normal flight unless you manually throw the switch on your tx. Also you never loose your rc link while testing rth, no issues with rebinding or relinking in midair. And if you do loose your rc link, the receiver goes into failsafe and rth activates like it should.

Edit:

I would add to the description that the throttle stick must be all the way down and the low trim setting activated to get consistent results. Easy to do, when setting failsafe, stick down, set low trim with switch, then record failsafe. To activate rth in flight, do the same after you've rerun the wizard.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Last edited by Carlyle Harper; Dec 21, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:21 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Carlyle,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your method has been working great for me
Al
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:38 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
coplit II and FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Sorry for my silence yesterday. Spent the entire day working on the EagleEyes.

alros_100, wow, that's unfortunate for FMA if its true. I am surprised by that. I'm wondering if you should post the video and information on the RCG FMA forum also, and see if they know about it? I hope that it's an isolated issue, as that will make the CP2 problematic with FPV'ers!
Hi Bill

it is unfortunate. I can confirm I tried it with three different copilot II systems and two different 910mhz transmitters from two different vendors. I have engaged Howard from FMA and I hope there will be a solution, but preliminary suggestions have not worked.

I did borrow a friend's copilot CPD4 and it did not have the interference I was seeing even with the video transmitter right beside the cpd4 computer. I will set this up on my stryker and hope to test RTH this week. at least the copilot II is working flawlessly on my non-FPV blade 400

Al
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:36 AM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bentel

Regarding your RTH experience - I think it will be a combination of setting the copilot sensitivity and turn / pitch gains to a balanced level through trial and error. Also we are not quite sure if the elevon programming is 100% yet.
Al
Today with the new FW installed I did a complete cfg of the setup.
Didn't fly so far.
The TX impulse was a little different (and jumped), as the RX FS impulse for motor when trim on low value, I corrected this. Increased the trim range a little bit, think in total 250 on deflection. RTH enable looks now stable.

Didn't find any RTH cfg to fly so far, as you mentioned, maybe elevon programming needs to be improved too?

The CO2 makes a great job, flew my wing without it and felt the big difference. Now the play together rules (teamwork) has to be found.

Volker
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Volker

Yes that FS trick works well. regarding RTH with elevons. I hope to test wed with a copilot version 1. I was out testing RTH with my easy star yesterday, and I found that for my setup it was important to set the turn prop grains quite low - 10-15%. this cause very slow banks only. I think if the turn is too fast, the GPS heading doesn't update fast enought so the RTH keeps turning and overshooting which can create a death spiral. Also if the plane is in a very tight turn without a lot of forward movement, then I don't think the GPS can detect a heading change. If the turn prop gain is low (or if during safety wizard setup you only move the left turn stick position part of the way rather than all the way left), then the turn is slow enough so that the GPS heading is accurate.

So probably best to set things up to achieve very low turn rate and see if RTH is behaving as expected (ie trying to turn towards home and maintaining altitude). If that is working and the turn rate is too low then you can increase the turn gains.

The challenge with these wings and the stryker is they move really fast and can get out of range rather quickly while we are messing with the settings. I still can't change the settings while flying - I have to land to make changes

Al

p.s. it sounds like you have your copilot II working well and stabilizing in the back ground, right?