HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra
Nope. Didn't, but it doesn't repeat once I get through the initial FW download. Try getting a brand new V3 eLogger, and just plug it in. It pops up multiple times (I'm on vista 64 if that helps).

Jhondra
ditto. and Im on vista 64 as well. it basically goes nuts on initial configuration and floods the screen with the "you need to update" message.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports
Made some progress with RTH testing today!!

All settings are shown at the beginning of the vid.

Getting some overshooting and it's very "Relaxed" to turn, what should I change to better that?

Quality not that great, only has two 3db antenna's on, no patch.
Glad to see you got some RTH testing in!

Did you keep the same settings for all of your tests in that video? I ask because the first few turns were very slow and "relaxed" as you mentioned but later you had some significantly more aggressive turns.

During your slower turns I "think" your derivative gain value was reducing your turn rate. If you turn on servo deflections you can see if this is happening or not. If the derivative gain is reducing your turn rate you will see the rudder deflection dropping and raising over and over. If the rudder deflection is holding constant and you still don't have an aggressive enough of a turn, you should increase your proportional gain.

During my turns I usually look for the plane to overshoot home once by a little and then slowly turn back and face home.

If you ever have a chance to switch to a patch antenna I bet your reception will improve dramatically.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Cheers for comments on my set up and heres a vid of latest test while trying to trim her out as she was trying to drift of quite a bit to the right during flight. Picture quality is getting a little better but recording is still not the best lols due to me resetting my pinnacle and not putting "best.txt) file back in the root folder lols. Gps was working better and home arrow was more accurate but distance to home was out a few times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoQu1dxEWlg
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:05 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Hello Bill,

Yes, all this was with the same setting as set in the start of the vid, not confident enough to change while flying...

I'll switch on servo deflections next time and see what happens, thanks!

It allso sometimes looks as if it goes into a direction and never starts to turn, you seen that before?

I've got a 14db patch, just forgot to take it with

Thanks by the way for the Co-Pilot help!

Cheers
Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Bill
Glad to see you got some RTH testing in!

Did you keep the same settings for all of your tests in that video? I ask because the first few turns were very slow and "relaxed" as you mentioned but later you had some significantly more aggressive turns.

During your slower turns I "think" your derivative gain value was reducing your turn rate. If you turn on servo deflections you can see if this is happening or not. If the derivative gain is reducing your turn rate you will see the rudder deflection dropping and raising over and over. If the rudder deflection is holding constant and you still don't have an aggressive enough of a turn, you should increase your proportional gain.

During my turns I usually look for the plane to overshoot home once by a little and then slowly turn back and face home.

If you ever have a chance to switch to a patch antenna I bet your reception will improve dramatically.
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:23 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Yes, all this was with the same setting as set in the start of the vid, not confident enough to change while flying...

I'll switch on servo deflections next time and see what happens, thanks!

It allso sometimes looks as if it goes into a direction and never starts to turn, you seen that before?
Ah, then perhaps the differences in turns were because of the wind. If you see that a turn starts but it can't make any progress, then you need to increase your integral gain. Integral gain will add more deflection if it finds that the turn is taking too long.

Yea, turning on servo deflections will be a big help so we you can see how the rudder deflection is changing over time.

One other thing to be aware of. If you ever change the gain setting on your CoPilot, you will likely need to increase the gain on your RTH settings. The more gain you add to the CoPilot, the more deflection you have to give to override it.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:29 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
If its slow to turn even when 180 from home, you probably need more proportional gain (or need to increase the limit if its saturated)

try changing one thing at a time, starting with proportional gain.

the good news is that even with those settings you should be able to get it home if you fly out of range...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Aha, thanks so much guys!! I did turn up the Co-Pilot from around 40% to about 80%, so that makes sense,

Thanks!
Dion
Old Sep 26, 2009, 03:46 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Getting some overshooting and it's very "Relaxed" to turn, what should I change to better that?
Thanks for watching!!
Showing the deflection would be much better.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Sep 26, 2009, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
I've had a chance to test my new RTH settings today, and it works perfectly with the default values. One suggest to Bill (as already mentioned), please in the manual pay more attention to the stick (rudder/aileron) movement during the wizard, since it looks like obvious but it not: the max value "learned" by the OSD is *not* the max value you common use during the flight, but it must be the max value *for a gentle turn* (that's is pretty different), it's almost 1/3 of the max turning value (my max is 790, i'm using 300), otherwise your plane will roll during a 180 turn... so the instructions: "move your stick to the left" is partially incomplete.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole
the max value "learned" by the OSD is *not* the max value you common use during the flight, but it must be the max value *for a gentle turn* (that's is pretty different), it's almost 1/3 of the max turning value (my max is 790, i'm using 300), otherwise your plane will roll during a 180 turn... so the instructions: "move your stick to the left" is partially incomplete.
Bill I would like to have settings for aileron and elevator to be the max what I set during wizard run. I have a lot of movement on my steering and this is killing me.
regards Volker
Old Sep 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
RTH elevons test

Hello, did a RTH test flight with elevons
How can I improve it, which parameter should I change.
At the end of the movie the motor switches on and off.
The video has a low quality, it's getting dark when I fly.

Bill can you please remove the inverted characters, it's to hard to read them, or maybe an option for those who like it.

http://vimeo.com/6770625
Last edited by mr..speed; Sep 27, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Bentel

Congrats on getting this going. So it looks like there is no issue with Copilot II and 2.4ghz video! Haven't got my 900mhz interference sorted out yet. transmitter needs to be 3 feet away from copilot II to work which means no go on a stryker for now.

Are you using reckless Bill's Trick to activate failsafe - I wasn't sure why the failsafe kept turning on then off in short bursts while at other times it stayed on for longer. were you turning it on /off ?

At times it seemed like it didn't have enough turn proportional gain to overcome the copilot II ? but at around 10:50 it certainly seemed to be able to bank enough and seemed to turn around home. What happens if you take it out farther from home does it find a line to home ?

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:53 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Okay I maidened my FPV Radian today and all went well except my GPS is lagging badly (maybe 10+ seconds). It is about 10 inches away from the transmitter and I also have the secondary sensor out on the end of the wing. Does the GPS interference happen at the sensor or the base unit? My sample rate is 10, ferrite on electrical, etc. Any ideas? Can the gps leads be extended from the osd or will this cause problems too?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole
I've had a chance to test my new RTH settings today, and it works perfectly with the default values. One suggest to Bill (as already mentioned), please in the manual pay more attention to the stick (rudder/aileron) movement during the wizard, since it looks like obvious but it not: the max value "learned" by the OSD is *not* the max value you common use during the flight, but it must be the max value *for a gentle turn* (that's is pretty different), it's almost 1/3 of the max turning value (my max is 790, i'm using 300), otherwise your plane will roll during a 180 turn... so the instructions: "move your stick to the left" is partially incomplete.

So when the wizard says move to max you only move the stick to where you would have it in the gentle turn you want not to far left?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:22 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Yes, you only move the stick to the max you want to OSD to control it, fly with servo deflections on and check how much you use to make gentle turns, then use that value is the safety wizard.