The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
The_Mongrel: In all seriousness ... 1) bill clearly stated he doesn't care what OSD. 2) it's the most recent stryker video posted in the "FPV videos" thread. 3) it even has artificial horizon which will give bill more info on the bank angle than a video without OSD.

I won't post the links here, but Tarro has also made a couple of good Maxi Swift videos with artificial horizon on the flying wing. Not really sure what bill needs them for, but if he does he probably knows how to find it. I've been reported too many times on this thread to dare to post a link to them. If you look at it from a different perspective, this constant reporting and acting all serious is what started this whole mess in the first place ...
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Sep 18, 2009, 09:33 PM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Hi Bill,

Have you decided on whether or not to implement the changes to the menu I suggested earlier? I've been thinking a bit more about it, and I had another idea: Making the "In-Flight Settings" menu item the only visible / selectable option while the plane is in flight. Not only would this make the menu easier to navigate while flying, it would prevent things like accidentally entering the RTH setup wizard as was also discussed earlier.
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:30 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
FPV Stryker

Hi Folks

Here is my setup for the delta wing return to home test. Planning on testing tomorrow morning. Wiring is a problem but got it all to fit, but my biggest concern is the FMA main sensor.I can't find a good clear spot for it. I'll try it where it is and if it fails I'll have to put it on the bottom and belly land on it.

Flight sim tests seemed ok. so all systems go assuming the copilot will cooperate

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:23 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Megafluffy/BlueAngel/emagnee/Jhondra, thanks for the feedback on enabling RTH. We will get the change made to enable RTH with 2D fix, when the baro is used. I think we will switch to always enabling RTH as long as a 3D fix is available, regardless of the other parameters. I think that's a better design going forward.

kreu01, the baro altimeter connects to the expansion port of the OSD Pro. Or, you can connect the altimeter directly to the expansion port of the eLogger (as shown in the drawings that come with the altimeter) and connect the OSD Pro to the altimeter's expansion port. No one will know the difference. To use the baro altimeter for the ladder and for RTH, select that option under the "Sensors" on-screen menu.

Volker, looks like i have some email from you, that I'll answer first thing tomorrow.

emagnee, the menu updates are on the list, and I like your additional suggestions above! Anythig that makes setup easier. I'm not sure we're going to get to that before the EagleEyes ships. But, that's coming quite nicely. Significant milestone hit today, which I'll post about on the EE thread tonight if I can stay awake long enough.

alros_100, great news on the flight sim test! Hope all goes well with the flight tomorrow.

trappy, any actionable feedback you have for us is appreciated, but yours seems to cycle between "it's too complex", "you don't fly enough to understand FPV", "you're too serious and need to laugh more" etc., usually followed by a plug for your product or another competitor's product. If you posted some actionable feedback and I missed it, apologies, but the s/n seems pretty low!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:00 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Well, in that case you missed it. S/N was supposed to be a challenge Hope you enjoyed my vids, though
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Last edited by trappy; Sep 19, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:31 AM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
... but my biggest concern is the FMA main sensor.I can't find a good clear spot for it. I'll try it where it is and if it fails I'll have to put it on the bottom and belly land on it.
Al
As you can see on my earlier pictures, I place a podest behind the camera that the sensor looks over camera, maybe a shield that the heat of the camera goes under the sensor.

No comments on this wiring :-), all hidden, compressed, ...

I have to be out this WE so can not test RTH, maybe next week, maybe with the fixes of your test :-)
Have success, volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Last edited by mr..speed; Sep 19, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:04 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
FPV Stryker - Update

Hi Folks

Here is the update and need some help!!!

This stryker was previously used for FPV without logger/osd or copilot II. These additional components are pictured in the post above. camera and 910mhz Video transmitter are powered by a separate battery

First 3 flights camera and transmitter were not plugged in, but elogger/OSD and copilot was attached.

Fight 1 - trimming and balance - was more nose heavy then I liked and extra weight was noticeable, but all went well it.

Flight 2 - Copilot II test - pushed components back - still a bit nose heavy but better. confirmed trimming then activated copilot. stabilization worked great. Actually too good - too much gain - weird having to keep stick all the way back and right to make a banking turn. corrected in flight 3

For the next flights - I plugged in the video transmitter and camera

First sign of trouble - copilot II preflight trims were now off??

Fight 4 - Decided to launch anyway as trims usually corrects itself. All was good until I activated the copilot - it immediately headed for the ground - was able to turn off copilot, recover, land. I thought maybe the camera was interfering with the main sensor. So I moved the main sensor to the belly and protected it with a makeshift balsa skid and setup copilot for new sensor position.

Flight 5 - launched and flew around - video quality was good. Activated copilot - this time it banked and dove - turned off copilot, recovered partially but flew into group of pine trees - luckily only damage was camera broke off its pan servo.

So here is the situation. Copilot II works but not when the video transmitter (910mhz) is on. I previously thought my easystar copilot trouble was heat from the camera, but after getting home and bench testing its the transmitter (tried two different ones same issue). Basically the transmitter causes the servos to jitter and move only when copilot is activated, but worse the copilot assumes a new banked aileron orientation when vid transmitter is on. With the vid transmitter moved to the wing tip the situation is better but not solved, Unplugging transmitter returns things to "normal". - So I think this explains my intermittent problems I had with the easy star and more catastrophically today with the stryker.

Sorry Bill testing RTH was next but didn't make it there

Does anyone else have the new copilot II and using it with a 900mhz Vid transmitter - did you have any problems?? The copilot II is so interconnected between servos, receiver, and OSD pro that I don't know how I could isolate or shield it or whether it is the copilot II new digital sensors or the copilot II computer. If others are using this without problems with a 910mhz video transmitter than the problem might be something else on my end, but I can't think of anything else that would be so related to plugging in an unplugging the transmitter.

Any advice?
Al

Edit: Bentel - passing the baton to you now for RTH testing as I am away for a few days. I presume you are using a 2.4ghz Vid transmitter in Germany- but be careful activating your copilot II. good luck with your tests!
Last edited by alros_100; Sep 19, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:05 PM
Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil
Joined Dec 1996
31 Posts
Thanks Bill for your pattient.
Rogerio Brandao Destito is offline Find More Posts by Rogerio Brandao Destito
Last edited by Rogerio Brandao Destito; Sep 19, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:14 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Hi Folks

Here is the update and need some help!!!

This stryker was previously used for FPV without logger/osd or copilot II. These additional components are pictured in the post above. camera and 910mhz Video transmitter are powered by a separate battery

First 3 flights camera and transmitter were not plugged in, but elogger/OSD and copilot was attached.

Fight 1 - trimming and balance - was more nose heavy then I liked and extra weight was noticeable, but all went well it.

Flight 2 - Copilot II test - pushed components back - still a bit nose heavy but better. confirmed trimming then activated copilot. stabilization worked great. Actually too good - too much gain - weird having to keep stick all the way back and right to make a banking turn. corrected in flight 3

For the next flights - I plugged in the video transmitter and camera

First sign of trouble - copilot II preflight trims were now off??

Fight 4 - Decided to launch anyway as trims usually corrects itself. All was good until I activated the copilot - it immediately headed for the ground - was able to turn off copilot, recover, land. I thought maybe the camera was interfering with the main sensor. So I moved the main sensor to the belly and protected it with a makeshift balsa skid and setup copilot for new sensor position.

Flight 5 - launched and flew around - video quality was good. Activated copilot - this time it banked and dove - turned off copilot, recovered partially but flew into group of pine trees - luckily only damage was camera broke off its pan servo.

So here is the situation. Copilot II works but not when the video transmitter (910mhz) is on. I previously thought my easystar copilot trouble was heat from the camera, but after getting home and bench testing its the transmitter (tried two different ones same issue). Basically the transmitter causes the servos to jitter and move only when copilot is activated, but worse the copilot assumes a new banked aileron orientation when vid transmitter is on. With the vid transmitter moved to the wing tip the situation is better but not solved, Unplugging transmitter returns things to "normal". - So I think this explains my intermittent problems I had with the easy star and more catastrophically today with the stryker.

Sorry Bill testing RTH was next but didn't make it there

Does anyone else have the new copilot II and using it with a 900mhz Vid transmitter - did you have any problems?? The copilot II is so interconnected between servos, receiver, and OSD pro that I don't know how I could isolate or shield it or whether it is the copilot II new digital sensors or the copilot II computer. If others are using this without problems with a 910mhz video transmitter than the problem might be something else on my end, but I can't think of anything else that would be so related to plugging in an unplugging the transmitter.

Any advice?
Al

Edit: Bentel - passing the baton to you now for RTH testing as I am away for a few days. I presume you are using a 2.4ghz Vid transmitter in Germany- but be careful activating your copilot II. good luck with your tests!
Hey, sorry if this is an overly simple response, but if the VTx is making your servos jitter, why not try some shielding on the servo wires? Maybe the VTx is too close to the servos? What brand servos? Also, digital servos are less prone to interference than analogs.
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Hi Webdr

unfortunately its not just jittering they are moving and the copilot's sensing of what is level is off which is the real problem. This goes away with the video transmitter turned off and when the copilot is off, but transmitter is on, . moving the transmitter to the wing tip doesn't eliminate the problem - stryker is not big enough to move it farther. I have two transmitters range video style from two different sources. What shielding can I use? Ferrites?

Al
Last edited by alros_100; Sep 19, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Hi Folks
So far I flew with 2,4GHz 500mW Tx, Rx 35MHz, osd Pro and CO2, but the servo signal was not attached to osd, just from rx to CO2, everything worked so far.
I did the rewiring to connect osd.
rx-> osd -> CO2 -> servos but didn't fly it so far.

Quote:
Thanks for the hint, will test it again with sim and maybe Monday or Tuesday I will try it outside if the weather is good enough.

I have ferrits in the Tx cable and in the servo cables, try it.
How about lowering the gain in the CO2 ?
Is the setting of the main/vertical sensor direction correct?
You could try it without osd or CO2 servo cables connected.
But you saw the comments on my wiring, so what would they say to your wiring :-)
I improved the wiring on the pictures, put Tx 3 feet away, not flown so far.
regards Volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Last edited by mr..speed; Sep 19, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:50 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Hi all ive just done a test hover with the eagle tree osd pro and one or two things have come up. Firstly I get sat fix with 9 to 10 sats which is great for my back garden and hdp is between 1.0 and 2.0 .My radar arrow in shows my heli pointing in a slightly different dirrection than true dirrection, I pressume I change this in GPS settings by altering the degrees of gps? Next the home arrow showed when I got sat fix and then now and again just flipped to an astix and back to arrow ,this happened when the hdp changed from 1.0 to 2.0 any ideas?
Ive also got terrible video quality since putting eagle tree on which I believe is due to me having my v tx to close to every thing. I think I need to move v tx to boom position again and away from reciever. Im not going to post a vid coz its really that bad lols.
Regards Liam.
Firmware version, Version 7.91/OSD Pro FW 1.43
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Last edited by L14m; Sep 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
374 Posts
Liam, without a magnetic compass, you will only see direction of travel, and not the direction in which you're facing.
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
I agree with that but surely the heading arrow shouldnt flip around 180 degrees without the heli turning at all. I took off to around 15 feet high and stayed facing in one dirrection. The radar arrow at first pointed in the right dirrection with the heli and after about 30 seconds the arrow turned 180 degrees and then after another few seconds it switched back. The home arrow also did the same but at different times and sometimes just turned into an astrix.
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Last edited by L14m; Sep 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM.