SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2008, 07:50 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
I actually thought it would be here by the end of this month until I got the email this afternoon.

Hopefully its just a worst case scenario timeframe
blade thrasher is offline Find More Posts by blade thrasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2008, 07:55 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Exactly. Here's what Bill said in the first post:
Quote:
SHIPPING DATE/PRICE/PREORDERING
We are targeting late December, 2008 for the OSD PRO Expander. We have Santa in our crosshairs! Our complete OSD PRO System with GPS parameters, current and voltage sensing is expected to MSRP for $284.99 or less. If you already have an Eagle Tree logger, OSD PRO Expander will be available separately for about $69.99. Preorders will be available from our website and dealers once hardware mass production begins and pricing is finalized.

Designed and Engineered in the USA. All prices MSRP, USD. Features, availability and pricing subject to change without notice.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:17 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
That statement is the main reason I purchased the OSD from ET so I'm a little dissapointed in this news.

I would rather put up with the delay and have a system that is problem free though. I'm just a little over being enticed with unrealistic time frames. It seems to happen with every RC product release these days.
Griffo is offline Find More Posts by Griffo
Old Dec 02, 2008, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry for delayed update. We have gotten lots of feedback on what the system needs to do (thanks!), and are incorporating much of that.

Our goal right now is to begin hardware production at the end of December, and enable preorder at that time. Take this goal for what it's worth. But based on where we are now, and the priority of this project to us, I believe it is attainable (but aggressive). Of course, we will not sacrifice quality to meet a ship projection!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2008, 05:12 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
As long as it is ready by spring.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Dec 03, 2008, 05:52 AM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi All,

Sorry for delayed update. We have gotten lots of feedback on what the system needs to do (thanks!), and are incorporating much of that.

Our goal right now is to begin hardware production at the end of December, and enable preorder at that time. Take this goal for what it's worth. But based on where we are now, and the priority of this project to us, I believe it is attainable (but aggressive). Of course, we will not sacrifice quality to meet a ship projection!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree

I recommend you all start working rotating 12's through the night. I will send a nice fruit basket.
Last edited by blade thrasher; Dec 03, 2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:16 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
The sun never sets on Eagle Tree R&D. :-)

Look forward to that fruit basket!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Hi all,

Will "Return To Home" feature work on helicopters?
zorangl is offline Find More Posts by zorangl
Old Dec 04, 2008, 06:34 AM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
Return to home is only a recorded latitude and longitude in the Eagle Tree memory that as the plane leaves that location it points back to it and can fly the route if stabilized. If you are flying a heli with FPV and OSD you will be able to see where YOU need to fly it back to. As soon as you let go of the sticks you will get a first person video of your heli crashing. There is a sensor that you can put on planes and theoretically on helis that uses temperature variation of the ground and sky to keep level flight/hover. http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=20&nid=6 I have used this on 4 of my planes with great success on most. It will even land my RQ-1 drone after its lined up and throttle is cut. I just don't trust it enough to let it hover my helis. There is just something inherently wrong about letting a heli do what it wants at 3,000 rpm

As you can see in this video these guys are running the Copilot on a Logo but they dont let it get far out of sight and keep the sticks close.

Somewhere I have a video of myself setting my controller down, running out into the flying field and running alongside my RQ-1 as it lands itself. The technology works, just be careful.

FMA Co-pilot 4 (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by blade thrasher; Dec 04, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
I wanted to take a second to update y'all on the status Eagle Tree's Return to Home (RTH).

As bladethrasher says above, our standard OSD does not have RTH. It has a home arrow, distance to pilot, etc., but does not attempt to return the model to home.

The OSD Pro does have full RTH for stable, fixed wing aircraft. To state the obvious, this is a safety feature, and should never be relied upon to fly your plane in normal operation.

Here is some info on our RTH. Sorry for technical jargon! There are a few things that set it apart from the other systems on the market, I believe:

1) When you have radio contact, the OSD-Pro has a hardware passthrough of the servo channels (throttle, ailerons, elevator), independent of the OSD microcontroller. Thus, there is no possible latency or bug that can affect the control of the model when you have radio contact and RTH is off. The signals do NOT pass through the microcontroller in this mode. My understanding is that other OSDs monitor the receiver pulses in the firmware, and send their own pulses to the servos from the firmware, all the time. I find that frightening due to potential latency, noise and firmware bug issues.

2) If you lose radio contact (or you are in test mode) the OSD-Pro attempts to return the model to your location using enhanced PID algorithms, based on GPS data and your tuning, as other units do. Our RTH is also enhanced by airspeed and barometric altimeter data, and possibly accelerometer data, if those sensors are connected. This decreases the likelihood of failure if the GPS decides you are at 10k feet, traveling at 1km/h, all of the sudden.

3) The RTH feature has several tunable parameters that you can change while in the air via menus. An "RTH setup wizard" is planned, which will attempt to set some of these parameters for you. Not sure whether the wizard feature will be in V1, or released as a download later.

4) The radio link lost detection is relatively sophisticated and works with PPM, PCM with full failsafe, and PCM with limited failsafe. I'll share more about that later.

5) Our firmware is easily updatable over the internet, without the need to buy programmers, dongles, return the unit to our shop, etc. Everything you need to update is included. As we find the inevitable issues with RTH, the fix is just a download away.

I agree with blade thrasher completely about heli RTH. I don't think this would work reliably, even with stabilization. Flying a heli requires both frontal lobes and then some luck (at least when I fly).

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Dec 04, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 08:19 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Bill,

Can't wait to get one! I agree that using real airspeed and altimeter sensors is safer than using GPS data, and it sounds like you have a good approach with respect to feeding the signals straight through if the unit is no in RTH mode.

Any chance of a real video showing the unit used in flight soon?

thanks,

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:46 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
4) The radio link lost detection is relatively sophisticated and works with PPM, PCM with full failsafe, and PCM with limited failsafe. I'll share more about that later.
I can never remember which radios are PPM and PCM, so I'll ask my followup question in laymen's terms: will the RTH work with Spektrum radios and receivers?
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 05, 2008, 02:41 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Then, if I may suggest for you guys to come up with the module that will provide stabilization in all three axes and fully integrated in to the OSD PRO and support Return to Home on helicopters. I assume that once you have helicopter stabilized, it is just a matter of writing a good algorithm that can fly heli to designated GPS coordinate. That would be great so we don't need to have bunch of different systems on our helis but one modular system (as this one is) that can do all that.
zorangl is offline Find More Posts by zorangl
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
tychoc, we will get video (with voice audio) posted soon.

Darth, yes! The RTH will work with all receivers. If we find one that doesn't work, we'll fix it in firmware.

Zoran, I'm sure we will either build or support stabilization systems going forward. But, they are pretty spendy right now. The lowest cost one I have seen (for 3 axes) is about $700.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2008, 03:49 PM
USA
Joined Nov 2004
90 Posts
bill,

You do not really need three axis, roll and pitch should be enough the yaw could be corrected from the GPS heading.
vassilis is offline Find More Posts by vassilis