HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2 Posts
Hello

Great open source project.
Look forward to try the diy trackingAntenna part out, I have allready found the parts needed, my pcb's is allmost ready, but, I have been trying to find the open source code to the Lince 1 (Pic18F252), on the spanish Forum, but diden't find it. please post a link or where to find it.

regards
Henrik
HopperDk is offline Find More Posts by HopperDk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,919 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to those who know what that means!

blade thrasher, the OSD-Pro system does not have a final price per se, but at this point you can upgrade to it for $20 + shipping if you purchase our standard OSD system, available now. Here's more info on that: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/OSD/OSD.htm

The complete standard OSD system is $264.97, so that would put the pro at $284.97.

If you need barometric altitude and pitot/static airspeed, those two accessories are $37.99 and $42.99, respectively.

One thing we have not mentioned (much) is the fact that all our OSD systems come with everything you need to log your flight, and visualize it later (or live with the Seagull telemetry option) on Google Earth.

Here's a Google Earth image from BEC, from his recent airplane review .

his
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:11 AM
Ashburn, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2008
73 Posts
Osd Pro

Hi Billpa,

I just purchased the Video OSD + elogger + altimeter and I'm looking to purchase the $20 +shipping for the OSD Pro. I dont see any link anywhere in your systems that has this option. Do you have a link?

Also,
Does the new OSD Pro have a RETURN TO HOME feature being added?
rajesh5024 is offline Find More Posts by rajesh5024
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:29 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
FPV wiring diagram

So I've started gathering the goods for my first FPV plane. I'm waiting for the new Eagle Tree OSD before I really go full throttle. In the mean time I worked up this wiring diagram to help figure out all the parts and pieces I will need. Let me know if you see any flaws in this design. The basic idea is to use a DX6i / AR6200 combo, include selectable rudder / camera pan capability, and OSD switching (on/off).
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:51 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Didn't analyze the entire layout...just focused on the EagleTree stuff. I have the same components as you but connected them differently based on discussions with ET support. My gps unit plugs into the same location as yours, and my OSD plugs into the same location as yours. Just like you, I have the baro altimeter sensor and the airspeed sensor, but they are daisy-chained off the OSD. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the OSD, or altimeter, or airspeed is plugged into the V3logger first, but then each additional sensor is dasiy-chained off the one that comes before it. My impression from the documentation and from calling ET support is that the ports you have labeled "tmp1" and "tmp2" are solely for the motor and/or battery temp sensors that can be additionally purchased. There is also a motor rpm sensor and a throttle-position sensor (tx throttle channel position) which are available. Please note the "sensor" connector cables (like airspeed and altitude) are 4-wire and MUST plug into a 4-pin port. The layout you show has them being plugged into the 3-pin ports for tmp1 and tmp2. Hope this helps.
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old Dec 01, 2008, 04:08 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Also....just noticed it appears you have "Throttle" on V3logger cabled to "Gear" channel on RC rx, which is not how it was intended to work, according to manual. There is an optional "Y-cable" that you can purchase (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Accessories/4.htm). There are three legs on the Y-cable.....one which plugs into the V3logger "Throttle" port, a second which plugs into your "Throttle" channel on your RC rx, and you plug your throttle servo (or ESC throttle lead) into the thrid leg. This allows the RC tx throttle "position" to be monitored by the V3logger and displayed as a field on the OSD. If your design intention was to incorporate the ability to turn the OSD on/off using a spare RC tx channel (like "Gear"), then you will need a male-to-male cable that connects the "Servo" port on the OSD to the "Gear" port on the RC rx. You can either purchase this type of cable or make one yourself from old servo leads or extensions.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 04:18 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Hmmmm....just realized that with the "V3logger-Throttle-to-rx-Gear" connection as shown, you may be wanting to monitor/display the status of your RC tx "Gear" switch versus the status of your throttle stick. I guess you are wanting to know if the rudder or cam-pan is engaged.
Sorry....just wanted to make sure you get the results you are looking for.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 04:36 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
I revised the drawing a bit. I daisy chained the sensors with the OSD. The intent is to switch the OSD with the "Aux" channel. I had the throttle position monitor connected to the wrong channel.

I know it's a little off topic, but do you see any issues with using the same battery for everything as long as I put a voltage regulator of some sort for the camera and video transmitter? I've read some people have had issues if the camera / video TX power isn't separated from the GPS ... thoughts?

PS - One other design feature (or intended design feature) is to be able to use the "gear" channel to switch between controlling the rudder and the camera pan. I figure both servos could be powered in parallel, but the signal wire runs through a form C relay (DE Battle Switch). My intent is that if the camera is looking to the side and I switch to rudder control the camera should snap back to center with loss of signal ... don't know if that will actually work .... but that was the thought. I'm guessing that I wouldn't need to fly with rudder much except during take off and landing AND I would probably want the camera forward at those times anyway.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:21 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Quote:
I know it's a little off topic, but do you see any issues with using the same battery for everything as long as I put a voltage regulator of some sort for the camera and video transmitter? I've read some people have had issues if the camera / video TX power isn't separated from the GPS ... thoughts?
I am sure everybody has their own opinion on this subject, so here is my 2-cents. I think you're gonna have a lot of wiring and a lot of "stuff" hung off a single power source, and maintaining a good common ground is more difficult as you add more stuff. Also any one of these devices could become the weak link in a long chain, and isolating any potential problems could be more difficult with everything thrown into one circuit. I admire your intent and design skills, but if it were me, at a minimum I would separate the video tx/camera into one circuit powered by its own source, and leave all the other stuff connected as the second circuit powered from the main flight battery (thru the V3logger as you have drawn). By the way, what plane are you planning to install all of this into? I don't think you mentioned it in your earlier posts, or maybe I just missed it.

ob1
Old Dec 01, 2008, 09:09 PM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
Interesting use of the DE Battle Switch. Is there any reason you can't figure out a way to get rid of it and use transmitter programming? I say that because you are using 2 channels for 2 servos, you may be able to get rid of one item.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:42 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
I think you're gonna have a lot of wiring and a lot of "stuff" hung off a single power source
Yeah, I've been debating the "weight versus diverse power supply" question. I'll also admit that I'm lazy and don't want to charge extra batteries if I can avoid it. But I have some 2S 1000 mAh batteries laying around, so it wouldn't be a big deal to throw one in for the video equipment. This will be my first FPV implementation, so I don't have any real world experience with it yet and appreciate the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
By the way, what plane are you planning to install all of this into?
I will probably go with the old Easystar for the first plane. But I am also a huge Parkzone T-28 fan so I would love to try that at some point. I've managed to land a T-28 using a tail hook and I think it would be very cool to try it FPV. If it can be done on land I might even try it on an actual boat.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:50 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj988
Interesting use of the DE Battle Switch. Is there any reason you can't figure out a way to get rid of it and use transmitter programming? I say that because you are using 2 channels for 2 servos, you may be able to get rid of one item.
I'm using a Spektrum DX6i. I want to be able to control both rudder and camera pan with the left stick. The idea was to use one of the on/off switches (gear or aux) to toggle between the two. I don't really want to mod the radio so I'm trying to work with what I've got. I'm all ears if you know of a better way using programming so I don't have to eat up the second channel. Of course this assumes the best setup is either rudder or camera pan ... maybe it would be better to have rudder & camera pan or just rudder with camera straight ahead. I'm obsessed with precision take offs and landings (although you wouldn't know it if you actually saw me fly ), so the rudder is important to me. On the other hand I suppose in an Easystar implementation I wouldn't really care as much ... could probably mix rudder / ailerons or something. I was thinking more about a T-28 implementation later down the road.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:59 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
PS - Sorry, I didn't mean to get this thread off topic. I'm really excited about the new Eagle Tree OSD and watching here with anticipation ... it's kind of what pushed me over the edge and moving toward finally trying FPV.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 05:11 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh5024
Hi Billpa,

I just purchased the Video OSD + elogger + altimeter and I'm looking to purchase the $20 +shipping for the OSD Pro. I dont see any link anywhere in your systems that has this option. Do you have a link?

Also,
Does the new OSD Pro have a RETURN TO HOME feature being added?

I had the same question and from what Beth at ET said it sounds like you will get the OSD standard in the mail then you mail it back once the pro is out in March or April along with $20 and exchange it for the pro. Let me know if this sounds right Billpa.
blade thrasher is offline Find More Posts by blade thrasher
Old Dec 02, 2008, 07:44 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade thrasher
I had the same question and from what Beth at ET said it sounds like you will get the OSD standard in the mail then you mail it back once the pro is out in March or April along with $20 and exchange it for the pro. Let me know if this sounds right Billpa.
March or April!

I was under the impression that it would be out by the end of the year, but was expecting January....

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc