HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:17 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Thanks Bill, can't wait to try it out!

Another question regarding RSSI,

I've got a RX wich my brother in law hacked the RSSI port and it ranges from 1.5V to 3V, where 3V is failsafe, can I just plug it into temp and check what happens? I'm not much of an electronics guy, don't want to brake something ;-)

Thanks
Dion
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:55 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Kiof, 3V should be fine, and I don't think a condenser is needed?

Dion, I think it should work fine to connect it directly. Maybe check with your brother-in-law to make sure it's ok to have a 5K pulldown on the RSSI output, but I suspect it would not be a problem.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Thanks!
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:51 AM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Bill, i have Futaba R617FS 2.4ghz, the correct voltage for RSSI output to connect on temp1 what is?
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Neo, I am not sure I understand your question? Does the R617FS have an analog RSSI output available?

In general, any voltage ranging from 0V to 5V (or somewhere in-between) will work.

What I plan on doing is having an RSSI on-screen menu, which will let you select the type of radio you have, and/or let you enter the voltages for max RSSI and min RSSI. Then, we will use that information to convert the input RSSI voltage into a %, and display that.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Neo, I am not sure I understand your question? Does the R617FS have an analog RSSI output available?

In general, any voltage ranging from 0V to 5V (or somewhere in-between) will work.

What I plan on doing is having an RSSI on-screen menu, which will let you select the type of radio you have, and/or let you enter the voltages for max RSSI and min RSSI. Then, we will use that information to convert the input RSSI voltage into a %, and display that.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Bill rssi on this RX is analog. This is the chipset http://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/mic...S2724-F-03.pdf

Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:20 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
For those that are interested, I added a detailed Wiring Diagram to my Queen Bee Thread. Some people were asking questions on how to hook things up, so I thought I would just fully document everything...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Neo, good news. From the datasheet the RSSI output is buffered already. :-) I believe that hooking it up to the middle pin of the Temp 1 input should work. Please let me know what you find - and of course, do an antenna down range check before flying!!

Downey, that's a great diagram!!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Neo, good news. From the datasheet the RSSI output is buffered already. :-) I believe that hooking it up to the middle pin of the Temp 1 input should work. Please let me know what you find - and of course, do an antenna down range check before flying!!

Downey, that's a great diagram!!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Bill, i can try to connect the RSSI at the positive temp1 and the GND with GND temp1?

Should go?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Neo, I don't think you will need the ground connection. This is 100% certain if you are connecting the OSD Pro to the RX via the servo connections, and is probably true regardless, assuming your BEC ground is common to your ESC ground.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
AMA 905510
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2009
152 Posts
Hi Guys, been surfing the web to find out more about the OSD and i am new to FPV. I been reading other forums and found this one more informative.

I fly align trex, and have the logger v3. Since I had the logger, i been interested in getting the OSD Pro for my heli. I think I have everything planned out what I need, and just stuck with 2 things.

First is which is the prefered TX & RX for my video feed. I already know the range of my radio for my heli since I am flying spectrum dx7 (~3miles). So I am looking for a video link from my heli to me, to be more then 3miles. Anyone know or recommend a system they prefer? (Also, I live in US, NY)

Second would be how to view the video feed. I was thinking of using my laptop, but I need an adapter so I can hook composite to the laptop. I am also planning to use the laptop as my DVR for recording the flights, and eventually I will finish building my heli for taking pictures with my canon or pro cameras for photography. Does anyone know any adapters, plugs, or how to have the video feed on the computer to record and view from while flying?
Polishchris is offline Find More Posts by Polishchris
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Neo, I don't think you will need the ground connection. This is 100% certain if you are connecting the OSD Pro to the RX via the servo connections, and is probably true regardless, assuming your BEC ground is common to your ESC ground.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Servo connections??
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360
Servo connections??
What Bill means is that you're already sharing the ground with other connestion (ie: servo) so u don't need to run two cables, but just the RSSI out to the middle pin of the Temp1 and it *should* works already.

(Bill intende che non hai bisogno della massa perche' la massa e' gia' condivisa con le altre connessioni, quindi non ti servono due fili, ti basta portare solo il filo dell'RSSI al pin centrale del Temp1 e *dovrebbe* funzionare).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole
What Bill means is that you're already sharing the ground with other connestion (ie: servo) so u don't need to run two cables, but just the RSSI out to the middle pin of the Temp1 and it *should* works already.

(Bill intende che non hai bisogno della massa perche' la massa e' gia' condivisa con le altre connessioni, quindi non ti servono due fili, ti basta portare solo il filo dell'RSSI al pin centrale del Temp1 e *dovrebbe* funzionare).
Ok tomorrow i test the connection.

Thanks to bill and npole
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:43 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Artificial Horizon Indicator Hookup

Quote:

china_fei, I am not sure what is causing your AHI problem. Let's wait until other people try it. It may be a bug in our firmware, or it may be a wiring problem. Once other people try it, we will at least know the instructions don't have a problem.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
I wired up the Co-Pilot sensor today. I did the direct connect to the V3 elogger. It works fine.I did have a problem understanding the cabling orientation at the logger location. When I got it right I could see it starting to respond. One thing to remember you will get the exact same results China_Fei had until you calibrate the system outdoors. It is very difficult if not impossible to see it operate indoors.
P.S.
Get someone to help you when doing the calibration. It makes it so much easier...
Have Fun!
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy