SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Diamante 25e or Pulse XT 25e

I'm looking at these two planes. I realize the Pulse XT isn't out yet, but I'm curious how these two match up. Just looking at the geometry, the Diamante looks like it would have snappier rolls, and better inverted handling...probably faster, too. I'd like a sport prop plane that will run with a 4s setup, and these two look like good options.

I currently have an Extra 260 3D, and used to have a Mini-Pulse XT. Love the Extra. The MPXT was fun, too, but I felt I "outgrew" it and sold it.

I want to add a new, bigger, sport plane to my hangar, so I'm getting my Christmas wish-list together. Any opinions/observations/recommendatons will be appreciated!

Sluggo

P.S. Doing more reading on the forums, it looks like the gear attach area could be a weak link on the Diamante. A few folks have mentioned their gear collapsed after what the they felt were not excessively hard landings. Any comments here?
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Last edited by VF84Sluggo; Sep 14, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
The landing gear is weak, and the airplane has a lot of coupling (Diamante), and it is heavy. There are far better airplanes on the market if you broaden the search beyond E-Flite.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
The landing gear is weak, and the airplane has a lot of coupling (Diamante), and it is heavy. There are far better airplanes on the market if you broaden the search beyond E-Flite.

Scott
I am wondering if you ever flew the Diamante. I have a Diamante with many flights. It took a few flights to get dialed in but is now one of my favorite planes. It is not a 3D plane but is a good sport/pattern plane and flies very smooth. I have had no issues with the landing gear. It has many, many flights all off of grass fields. I think the Pulse would be an easier plane to fly with somewhat less precision based on how my Pulse XT 40 flies which is also a very nice plane.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Last edited by pmmartin; Sep 14, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:

Scott
Could you name a few?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:12 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin
I have a Diamante with many flights...I think the Pulse would be an easier plane to fly with somewhat less precision based on how my Pulse XT 40 flies which is also a very nice plane.
If you could only have one, which would you choose (assuming the new Pulse XT 25e will behave like your PXT40)?

On the other thread you mentioned the PXT 25e having improved engineering features...what would those be? I know the PXT 25e will have control surfaces pre-hinged, bolt-on tail, etc. Substitute the name, and the build manuals for the Extra 260 3D and the Diamante are almost identical. None of it was hard, just involved a few more evenings. So, are the PXT 25e improvements something other than ease of construction?

I realize there's probably no clear answer to my first question, but any light you can shed will be appreciated!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:11 AM
Fly Every Day
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
If you could only have one, which would you choose (assuming the new Pulse XT 25e will behave like your PXT40)?

On the other thread you mentioned the PXT 25e having improved engineering features...what would those be? I know the PXT 25e will have control surfaces pre-hinged, bolt-on tail, etc. Substitute the name, and the build manuals for the Extra 260 3D and the Diamante are almost identical. None of it was hard, just involved a few more evenings. So, are the PXT 25e improvements something other than ease of construction?

I realize there's probably no clear answer to my first question, but any light you can shed will be appreciated!

I think if I only could have one it would be the Pulse 25 which I do have ordered. I think you mentioned most of the differences. You have studied the Pulse pretty well it looks like.

I would think in addition the landing gear would be a little more robust which would be an advantage in surviving bad landings. Biggest advantage as you have pointed out is however in ease of assembly. You would also likely be the first person at the field with a new model and would draw more attention than you would with the Diamante. That is always fun!

You can't go wrong with whichever one you choose and yes there are also other models that are very good but the choices are somewhat limited in the 25 size market. Having all sizes in electric from Mini Showtime to quarter scale with many 40 and 60 electrics I have come to the conclusion that 25 size is probably the best compromise all the way around. They fly like a bigger plane, handle the wind better, fit in the vehicle for transportation, the batteries don't cost a fortune etc.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:14 AM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
373 Posts
Check this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878179
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
I am wondering if you ever flew the Diamante. I have a Diamante with many flights. It took a few flights to get dialed in but is now one of my favorite planes. It is not a 3D plane but is a good sport/pattern plane and flies very smooth. I have had no issues with the landing gear. It has many, many flights all off of grass fields. I think the Pulse would be an easier plane to fly with somewhat less precision based on how my Pulse XT 40 flies which is also a very nice plane.
Short answer is yes. Sold it after about 20 flights. It did a very average impression of a precision model (which it was touted to be) with a lot of coupling and a high wing loading.

Scott
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Could you name a few?

Thanks!
Sure. If the sport/pattern genre is what interests you, the Extreme Flight Vanquish or 3D Hobby Shop Aspera are at the top of my list.

Scott
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
I think if I only could have one it would be the Pulse 25 which I do have ordered. I think you mentioned most of the differences. You have studied the Pulse pretty well it looks like.

I would think in addition the landing gear would be a little more robust which would be an advantage in surviving bad landings. Biggest advantage as you have pointed out is however in ease of assembly. You would also likely be the first person at the field with a new model and would draw more attention than you would with the Diamante. That is always fun!

You can't go wrong with whichever one you choose and yes there are also other models that are very good but the choices are somewhat limited in the 25 size market. Having all sizes in electric from Mini Showtime to quarter scale with many 40 and 60 electrics I have come to the conclusion that 25 size is probably the best compromise all the way around. They fly like a bigger plane, handle the wind better, fit in the vehicle for transportation, the batteries don't cost a fortune etc.
Great info, thanks!

I must admit that if you'd have pressed me Saturday, I would have cancelled my PXT 25e order and gone with the Diamante. BUT...after looking again, and factoring in all the points you mention here, I'll most likely stick with the new PXT 25e. I do have my Extra that scratched the sport/3D itch quite well. And, being here on the gulf coast, we always have a good breeze by early afternoon. So, for me anyway, a plane that is good in the wind has a plus right out of the box.

If nothing else, as you say, "You would also likely be the first person at the field with a new model and would draw more attention than you would with the Diamante. That is always fun!"...you gotta like that!!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Sure. If the sport/pattern genre is what interests you, the Extreme Flight Vanquish or 3D Hobby Shop Aspera are at the top of my list.

Scott
Thanks, Scott.

Like I just posted, my Extra 260 is plenty for me at this point in my flying skills. I consider myself a solid intermediate, but won't kid myself about being advanced...yet

It's probably wise for me to go with the PXT 25e for now.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Fly Every Day
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Scott.

Like I just posted, my Extra 260 is plenty for me at this point in my flying skills. I consider myself a solid intermediate, but won't kid myself about being advanced...yet

With what you have said I am sure the Pulse is for you. It will be a great relaxing fun plane. My bet is you will like everything about it except the price. But what the heck these are only toys anyhow so we might as well spend it. It is fun and you only live once. Let's hope the wait for this thing is almost over.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:15 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
With what you have said I am sure the Pulse is for you. It will be a great relaxing fun plane. My bet is you will like everything about it except the price. But what the heck these are only toys anyhow so we might as well spend it. It is fun and you only live once. Let's hope the wait for this thing is almost over.
Good...thanks for the second opinion. At least I got in and placed an order before the price jump
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:26 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Scott.

Please don't limit yourself to second rate products because you think you aren't worth it. I think there was a hair dye ad once that said; your worth it.

You may be an intermediate pilot but the better planes will help you move up faster and be a great joy to fly.

Now Scott can make us (me) look like fools flying any of the E-flite stuff but we (well I) need all the help a well designed ship can offer me.

Now if you think you will just smash the kits on the first flight then maybe you should look to something with less performance than even the E-flite stuff. But as you said you are a solid intermediate go with the better stuff.

I define second rate as heavy and poor landing gear durability.

Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:44 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad
Please don't limit yourself to second rate products because you think you aren't worth it. I think there was a hair dye ad once that said; your worth it.

You may be an intermediate pilot but the better planes will help you move up faster and be a great joy to fly.

Now Scott can make us (me) look like fools flying any of the E-flite stuff but we (well I) need all the help a well designed ship can offer me.

Now if you think you will just smash the kits on the first flight then maybe you should look to something with less performance than even the E-flite stuff. But as you said you are a solid intermediate go with the better stuff.

I define second rate as heavy and poor landing gear durability.

Konrad
Hmmm....now you got me thinking again.

You know, the Extra 260 3D has a bad rep about weak gear, but, knock on wood, mine are doing just fine. Nor have I pranged the motor mount and bent the gear of my PZ T-28. My HL F-18 and Sapac F-22 are all good, too.

In fact, I thought I was maybe over-reaching when I got the Extra, and left in the box for a few months. Once I got comfortable with the T-28, I got the courage up to build and fly it. Well, I loved it right from the maiden and it's now my hands-down favorite.

So, I certainly don't expect to ham-fist one right away, so which would be better? I'm under the impression that the high-power 4s option on the PXT 25e would be just right to help me get near the advanced level.
Last edited by VF84Sluggo; Sep 15, 2008 at 10:52 PM.