SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2003, 04:38 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
GWS P-51 mods for 400 or brushless geared

The file attached gives some details on my second P-51 that is in process. I have decided to go with either a GWS 400 geared system or a brushless system using the GWS gearbox (if more $$ becomes available). I also decided that the fuse was a bit flimsy in places, and needed a bit more open area for components. I dealt with that with a very small amount of weight gain. I fly off long grass or snow, so there is no need for LG and it's weight. I also only use ailerions and elevator for control.
My first Mustang is built box stock and flys well, but not aerobatic at all. I wanted a bit more performance with this one. Guapoman2000 intially suggested the rubber band wing mounting in Dec I think. It was to late to build that plane with it, but that has been added to this plane. Even saves a bit of weight I think.
I'dd add updates as I get through the rest of the build.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2003, 04:39 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
page 2

Some more:
Old Feb 11, 2003, 04:41 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Net weight gain with all mods to completed fuse (joined with pushrod tubes) = 4 grams. This includes the weight added for the epoxy joining of the fuse halfs.
15 minute epoxy used for all joints.

Kit parts for wing mounting weigh ~7 grams (plates, screw etc. not including epoxy). Two dowels weigh ~ 2 grams. Unknown what rubber bands weigh.

Canopy mounting changed to magnet/pin instead of magnet plate/plate as supplied.

Be sure fuse reinforcing strips are in contact with the foam along their entire length.

Use minimal amounts of epoxy or use foam safe CA.

Depth of motor relief is dependent on the length of the motor to be used.

Feel free to contact me via ezone if you have questions.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 07:12 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
WOW!!!! YOU DID A MOST EXCELLENT JOB WITH THESE MODS!!!

I like the one about being able to slide the battery pack a little further foward !!! My P-51D "SUE" suffers from tail heavy conditions since her ASTRO FLIGHT 010 onboard is much lighter than the stock EPS-300C-C. You can't imagine what I did....I taped a UNITED STATES QUARTER (25 cents) underneath the front FUSE area to balance her just right. (QUARTER tips the digital scale at exactly 1/4 oz.) so, my "SUE" was not that bad.

WOW, way to go gouda!!

Regards,
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 12, 2003, 08:00 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Thanks Carlos, it was you and a number of others who put all their comments on Ezone that kind of drove me to document what I was doing. Hopefully it will give others some ideas to sort out what we have found to be issues (not really major problems, since I think it is a very well designed kit) with the plane.
Besides, I make my living working with Powerpoint on a daily basis. So generating a summary like this isn't much work and I enjoy keeping track of things I do. Now only if Ezone would allow uploading *.ppt files.

Ross
Old Feb 12, 2003, 01:20 PM
USA Retired
Brooksville Florida
Joined Jan 2003
252 Posts
mods

Hello, great photos..........!

The shot with the motor mounted doesn't have the mods and you seem to be using a full length motor stick/mount....?

How do you hold/attach the motor on the stick and how do you remove if repairs are needed....?

Would you recommend these mods to the Zero as well...?

Thanks for the tips,

Larry
wwldo is offline Find More Posts by wwldo
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Hi Larry;

I just put the motor in place so the difference in size from the 300 could be seen. That fuse side did have the some, but not all the mods when the photo was taken. The motor stick will be epoxied in place. I don't believe it needs to be shortened.

The 400 drive unit has a hole for a flat head screw that screws into the motor stick and can be accessed from the front of the model through the large gear That will hold the assembly in place and allow it's removal as needed. I'll see if I can find a photo that shows that.

I have not built a GWS Zero, so I can't really say if they are needed. But if you were going to put a 400 or brushless in it, I'd do something similar. I think the most important thing is relieving the area to let the battery slider further forward. Even in a 300 powered model.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:55 PM
USA Retired
Brooksville Florida
Joined Jan 2003
252 Posts
gouda

I just looked at my 300 and I see what you are talking about where a counter-sink hole is at the front of the mount behind the large gear, however the 300 GB gear does not have an access hole, are people drilling holes in the 300 gear..?

I guess two holes drilled 180 degrees apart would work ok..?

Thanks,

Larry
wwldo is offline Find More Posts by wwldo
Old Feb 14, 2003, 01:42 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: mods

Quote:
Originally posted by wwldo
Hello, great photos..........!

The shot with the motor mounted doesn't have the mods and you seem to be using a full length motor stick/mount....?

How do you hold/attach the motor on the stick and how do you remove if repairs are needed....?

Would you recommend these mods to the Zero as well...?

Thanks for the tips,

Larry
Larry,

Us E-ZONE & GWS Flyers at Orlando, Florida drilled a hole on top of the motor gearbox right behind the spur reduction gear and a resulting small hole on top of the FUSE to fit a small glass repair srew driver to change out the motor.

Okay, here's my buddy's GWS P-51D, BOB HOOVER's OLD YELLER, and notice the hole on top. I didn't post my P-51D picture since my "SUE" has the top of the FUSE Black and I have a smaller diameter hole as well and therefore, you can't notice the hole. Also, it's not hard to scew and unscrew....I turn my "SUE" upside down and allow gravity to help with the screw and driver.

Here's the pic.......Good luck.
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 14, 2003, 07:05 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Carlos;

Whay kind of paint did your buddy use on his mustang? My number 2 is getting painted this weekend, and I'm not sure what to use. I was even thinking about covering it with a low-temp film. But that's still being considered since the weight gain would be about 1.2 oz. But paint may add that much as well. let me know if you would.

Thanks;

Ross
Old Feb 14, 2003, 08:17 AM
USA Retired
Brooksville Florida
Joined Jan 2003
252 Posts
guapoman2000

Yet another good Tip....

Thanks,

Larry