Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
Discussion
Just got back from NEAT! Blade mcx review!

saw the new blade mcx fly today! Horizon hobby was showing off the blade mcx and it does not fly good at all!!!!!! Hover is very stable but forward flight is sloppy! The only the guy could do is hover in place the whole time! Very boring! The air hogs twin thunder can fly better forward then this plane! To make it worse, the front canopy is dentable thin plastic
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
saw the new blade mcx fly today! Horizon hobby was showing off the blade mcx and it does not fly good at all!!!!!! Hover is very stable but forward flight is sloppy! The only the guy could do is hover in place the whole time! Very boring! The air hogs twin thunder can fly better forward then this plane! To make it worse, the front canopy is dentable thin plastic
Interesting. John from RC Hobby Helicopter tested the Lama2 which is the Walkera version and said it flies awesome and is very good in flight. Its essentially the same heli so I wonder whats going on with the E Flight??
It will be interesting to see the real differences between the two once the Blade version is released. I think one in the hands of more than one person will be needed to make a good judgment
Is it dare I say possible that Walkera built something better than E Flight this time........hmmmm
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:28 AM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
That is interesting, I had better expectations.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:40 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
How did you review something you didn't fly yourself I reviewed my friends trex 450 one time and gave it a 2, he wouldn't stop crashing it for me to watch and make an honest review
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
the guy tested the forward flight for me, it was very slow and sloppy. Same thing for backward.
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:10 PM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
the lama2 is quite a bit bigger than the mcx. Mcx is 28g lama 2 more like 50g. Also lama2 uses 5g6 style motors while mcx uses tiny coreless ones like 4#3 tail. They have same linear servo all in one 5 in one though.
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimd
the lama2 is quite a bit bigger than the mcx. Mcx is 28g lama 2 more like 50g. Also lama2 uses 5g6 style motors while mcx uses tiny coreless ones like 4#3 tail. They have same linear servo all in one 5 in one though.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed they were pretty much the same. I guess I was thrown off by the integrated servos
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
Yeah they look very similar alright. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison with the Lama2 when the MCX comes out. I think Johnin2SonAZ is going to have both when the MCX is released so we might be able to get a good showdown. I really hoped the MCX would be a sweet flier being so small and DSM2 and all. It seems like the Lama2 might out handle MCX but we'll just have to wait and see when they're out in numbers.
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
the guy tested the forward flight for me, it was very slow and sloppy. Same thing for backward.
Maybe the guy wasn't used to the little heli. FF and BF looks fine to me:

youtube.com/watch?v=ImFsecQw4Bk
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:27 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,191 Posts
Subscribing! I love the look of this little helicopter! As well as my big Logo 10 aerial photography platform I've also got a PicooZ ... which although fun, is very limited in terms of precision flying. I look forward to having 4-channel control on something I can fly at my desk!

Regarding forward flight, I'm not sure if the logic from my Ikarus Piccolo days can still apply here, but maybe reducing the coning angle of the blades might make the MCX more stable in forward flight ... at the cost of making it less stable in the hover ... which I personally think is where most fun is to be had with this little helicopter

Cheers!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:49 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Regarding forward flight, I'm not sure if the logic from my Ikarus Piccolo
Haha I remember the first time I tried FFF with my Piccolo - almost ended in disaster as as soon as it got good speed up it pitched up into a massive stall turn and fell back to earth like a brick!

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:29 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,191 Posts
Indeed! One of the coolest/easiest mods of the day was to put a metal plate across the top of the rotorhead that linked the two blade bolts ... this stopped/greatly reduced the coning of the blades and made FFF (Fast Forward Flight) much more controllable. Maybe the same principle will work with the MCX?

I've been phoning around and it seems like they will be available in the UK in another week or so! *manic grin*

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:18 AM
Joined Nov 2006
337 Posts
I just picked one up at a local toy store last night. It flies incredibly well. In fact, it is stable enough that I'm afraid it may get boring kind of fast. My 3 year old was actually able to fly it without too much trouble, he had to get used to having roll control and having the yaw on the left stick, because he learned on a micro mosquito, but after a minute or two he seemed to have the hang of it.

Flight times are short (around 5 minutes so far) but I am hoping this will improve with a few more cycles on the battery. Unfortunately the store had lots of MCX RTF's and BnF's and lots of spare parts, but no extra batteries.
tommythecat is offline Find More Posts by tommythecat
Old Oct 01, 2008, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat
I just picked one up at a local toy store last night. It flies incredibly well. In fact, it is stable enough that I'm afraid it may get boring kind of fast. My 3 year old was actually able to fly it without too much trouble, he had to get used to having roll control and having the yaw on the left stick, because he learned on a micro mosquito, but after a minute or two he seemed to have the hang of it.

Flight times are short (around 5 minutes so far) but I am hoping this will improve with a few more cycles on the battery. Unfortunately the store had lots of MCX RTF's and BnF's and lots of spare parts, but no extra batteries.
Spare batts have been an issue for now based on what Ive been reading. There is a lot more info in these little guys over in the multirotor forum. They moved all the threads over there where they belong, but this one slipped through I guess.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2006
337 Posts
After a few flights, my 5-in-1 unit went, or at least that is how horizon diagnosed it over the phone. During flight, the lower rotor will slow down suddenly and emit a high pitched squeal.

(Edited: rant removed, in hindsight Horizon actually provided good customer service)

Horizon is sending me a new 5in1. Hopefully that will be the cause of the problem and it will be fixed in a few days. I was irritated that Horizon wouldnt work with my LHS to get me new parts today, but now that I think of it they actually did me a favor by not requiring me to send the heli in for the work.
tommythecat is offline Find More Posts by tommythecat
Last edited by tommythecat; Oct 01, 2008 at 05:35 PM.