HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Discussion
Harbor Freight EPO Foam 4 channel P-51 Mustang...RTF $79.99..Flight report and Video

I have been waiting patiently all summer for this plane to go on sale..it was $200.00 all summer..until I checked today..$79.99.

*Update* Here is my latest reference build for this plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=844

*Update 1- 3-11* Here is the latest build info http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=909
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jan 03, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
why? what are you going to do to it. something cool, fast, i see it is small what are you thinking. i don't want to miss out
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
R\E\A\T control..4 channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman
why? what are you going to do to it. something cool, fast, i see it is small what are you thinking. i don't want to miss out

Because I like warbirds and this one is a bit different in that its not a clone of the GWS warbirds although it is the same scale from what I can tell..Have not had a chance to compare side by side but there are some obvious differences like the battery hatch has a latch and does not have a separate clear plastic canopy. Am I going to make it fast or something cool? Well..I'm going to try it stock with the stock 7 cell battery and all. And if it flys well with the stock setup then that will be COOL

edit..I'm one of those weird guys that tries stuff stock first before I do any major mods..I hope that it works well stock so I can recommend it to friends who always complain about how much this stuff cost
Last edited by modfly; Sep 13, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
thank you please give me a play by play how it flys and picture i just like all the p-51's
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Motor is easy to remove so a BL upgrade could be done.

Quote:
thank you please give me a play by play how it flys and picture i just like all the p-51's

Me to..I first got interested in this EPO foam HF Mustang this spring as a guy I know got one and I guess his experience was not a positive one. Some time later, He sold me a bunch of stuff and it included the guts from the HF Mustang although there was no airframe. I did however get a GWS airframe in that deal and he also told me it was a useless POS and that the wing was too small and that I was wasting my time with these mustangs..He must have crashed the HF Mustang and got so angry that he threw away the trashed HF Mustang airframe. Anyway..I tested the electronics from the plane for use in one of my own when I discovered two things..1. The receiver in his plane was glitchy and had poor range. 2. The ESC that comes with this plane works very good but has a problem...Hard LVC..after some tinkering, I found a way to modify it so that it has a SOFT LVC. That makes a huge difference in my book.
Last edited by modfly; Sep 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
dang modfly you got me hooked and at 80 bucks looks like it's better than Guan LI p-51 so far and close to a art-tec mini p-51 have them both with mods they are great. will wait for the esc surprise cliff hanger

link me to the site in case i want one thanks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papabatman; Sep 13, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:28 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Receiver range test not performed yet

Ok..the online site shows them at 99.99..that must be a mistake as it is in the store. I called HF before I went there and asked how much and I heard the girl typing on a keyboard and she said 79.99..When I got to the store it had a on sale tag for 99.99..so I asked the clerk there what was the price and he said he would check and came back with 79.99..he said they sometimes are slow to update sale items but the cash resister has the correct price. I can't imagine the store price being lower than online price so I think after its added to the cart it will update to the current sale price of 79.99...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97393

You guys might want to wait before buying this plane as I have not tried flying it yet and have found the receiver in one of these planes to have poor range. I mean thats no surprise as they do tend to vary in range..Now if this one has poor range then you will know what to expect..

Here is how I test them. I don't try to fly a virgin rx in a squirrelly easy to destroy warbird..Oh no..not smart..What I do is test them in a very light weight GWS J3 Cub. I can taxi the cub on the ground and can tell if a rx is even worth trying before I commit to flight by the ground range. Minimum 75' ground range is required before committing to flight. the last HF Mustang receiver I tested only had 45' ground range so it got a failing mark. It is used on the bench to test servos and what not. So when I get a chance to test, I will report the range of this one here. Another interesting thing is after looking inside the HF receiver, it looks well built and has a good looking IF stage with 4 LC cans so I don't understand why it has such poor range unless it was just a dud which happens now and then.

Update..Looks like the Factory tuning may be the issue with this rx. I will retune one and see what happens when I get time.
Last edited by modfly; Sep 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
The plane in this link looks very similar to this one but has a different landing gear setup with the ultra lite plastic wheels instead of foam and has those flimsy landing gear struts...http://www.bananahobby.com/1032.html

The landing gear stuts with the Harbot frieght plane are HD and have spring coil in them with foam wheels..this means something to me as I'm a pavement lander. After checking all the military planes at banana hobbies, Looks like the HF Mustang is by its self and is different than anything there..
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:36 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
following with interest as the price is nice. Any shots of the radiator inlet under the wing, I may make it a belly flopper.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM4kq
following with interest as the price is nice. Any shots of the radiator inlet under the wing, I may make it a belly flopper.
I'll get some pics of that for you asap. It does not look like a good plane to belly flop to me because of the radiator input that hangs down below the wing.
Last edited by modfly; Dec 10, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
is it a 3mm motor shaft
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
ok i just happen to have a bushless set up that would fit in that nicely, now all we have to do is wait for the flite report. and we might have a winner for a different park flyler
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:20 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Optional ESC mod and connector(s) upgrade

Quote:
ok i just happen to have a bushless set up that would fit in that nicely, now all we have to do is wait for the flite report. and we might have a winner for a different park flyler
Well, thats cool..as you know, I'm going to fly this one with the stock motor and battery. I making some minor improvments here and there but nothing major.
Last edited by modfly; Sep 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
2nd HF receiver fails the bench range check

Sadly I have to report the receiver in my new HF Mustang is weak in the range department just like the other sample I have. So thats 2 in a row that have poor range so I have to conclude that the receiver in these planes are a lacking in the range department so I will not be using the stock rx. I'm a little disappointed and was hoping it would do better

I also tested this rx in the field and barely got 35-45' foot range in a ground taxi test..I estimate max range in the air 90 -120''..just not good enough.

I will retest the rx in the field again to make sure the above data is correct. I may also try to re-tune one of the HF receivers but I really don't think thats going to help anyone else but it may satisfy my curiosity as to why it has such poor range. I really think they are being miss-tuned at the factory.
Last edited by modfly; Sep 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM.