HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: At what price would you still be willing to get a variometer? Check all that apply!
100-125 58 84.06%
125-150 14 20.29%
150-175 8 11.59%
175-200 7 10.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Idea
Product for FPV Soarers: FPV Variometer, final prototypes available. See the videos

** NOTE **: See last post for ordering details. Limited number available for now.

Hi Guys,

I started a similar thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918493

What I'd like to present here, though, is an idea I've had while braining a little more about the issue. The potential product I've come up with could be cheaply manufactured and would present a huge benefit to FPV soarers.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a device that acts just like a microphone, but actually produces a vario sound based on the increase/decrease in height your model has. This "microphone" could be used alongside any OSD or any FPV setup, all is already there. The chip should produce the vario sound (lower tone for decrease, higher tone for increase in height) and generate an audio signal identical to the one a TinyMic produces. Hook that device up to the FPV TX and then hear the sound through the goggle-earphones on the ground.

An additional feature would be a passthrough connection to a microphone, and the chip mixes both channels into one.

[FPV TX]<===(audio channel)===>[Vario Sound Device]<===(audio channel)===>[TinyMIC]

The altitude sensor on board would need to have a high sensitivity (~5-15cm) and the vario sound range should adapt itself to thermal conditions (8m/s lift in good conditions produces same sound as 3m/s lift in bad conditions).

Who would be interested in such a product? Anyone that would be willing to make one of those?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Last edited by trappy; May 08, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Check out the Picolario.

It's a stand alone vario that also monitors battery voltage and altitude.

Nice female voice saying. "Attention: Your battery is at 5.9 volts."

When you go up or down it plays a musical arpeggio, either up or down and the rate of the music tells you how fast you are going up or down.

I like it better than my Eagle Tree Seagull thingamabob.

A mere 400 bucks without the TEK probe.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Hi Pete,

I know of the varios that are currently available. What I'm looking for is avoid having another ground station and another radio channel. Besides, the cost of the device I'm suggesting is maybe ~$50-75 if produced commercially, not $400
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:07 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
There is a matchbox sized vario available that clips to a pilots hat for fullsized use Sorry I cant remember the name at the moment. All you'd need to do is tape your mic to it. From memory its about $160 ish.
I'm working on a similar project using a 3.7m E glider.
One thought.....you are not very likely to get a good vario for $50 anywhere..more like an electric Cosim than a Cambridge!
Gordon

EDIT
http://www.flyaboveall.com/mini.htm
http://www.ukairsports.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=222
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Last edited by GeeW; Sep 13, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Well, the sensor itself is only around $20: http://www.nickbelsondesign.co.uk/In...ms5534-am.html
Old Sep 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
I also wish for this for a long time,
and I have the same opinion...I dont want to add another extra transmitter onboard ...it has to be integrated in the video transmission and the osd

people who would use this vario will go for extremely long range...to have 2 different systems onboard for this would not be ideal

I did my second full sacle sailplane flight last week...in St.Moritz in the middle of the alps...we climbed about 2000m in just 15min...since then I dream of these vario sounds
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Sep 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
I came up with a ultrasonic terrain alarm a while ago, that beeped when you are low.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=20

I have not used it in FPV because my video tx doesn't have working audio...

-Z-
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
great news. I couldn't let the idea rest so I posted a project on getafreelancer.com and a electronics guy in the philippines who is also a paraglider pilot made a bid The minimum order would be 10pcs.

In short: He'd be designing an audio variometer that can be plugged into ANY FPV system, regardless of frequency or OSD being used. It will tap into the audio channel of the tx/rx and help you locate thermals or downward air movement. This enables you to stay in the air longer or, when using a glider, gain altitude without using engine power. You can connect your TinyMic to the vario and the sound will be mixed. No additional power supply needed, the vario will also be tiny enough to fit anywhere on your plane where you placed the tinymic.

Longer, more detailed version of the idea: https://www.getafreelancer.com/proje...ariometer.html

The bid was as follows:

For his time: $600
For the PCBs: $110 (10 pcs)
Components: $80 per vario

So a rough estimate would be around $100 each plus the development cost spread among all, which will be significantly cheaper than current market systems AND it saves you one downlink. The more join, the cheaper it would get. Anyone interested?
Last edited by trappy; Oct 16, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The tones would have to be set for the individual. Some of us have high frequency hearing loss ya know...........
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Randall, not sure I will be able to integrate that into the tight budget Do the market-varios offer that?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2008
151 Posts
Will this sound similar to a vario in a real life glider? In both type of sound and how the bleeps are spaced or timed?
It would be nice to not have to learn another standard, such as music speed
JanBoothius is offline Find More Posts by JanBoothius
Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your interest!

Yes! It will sound exactly the same. The task will be to copy exactly the vario sound and also follow the "international standard" in terms of signals. The reason why a custom-built is cheaper is because FPV flyers already have everything in place (rx, tx, headphones) except for the vario. We could save weight, battery and space, besides money, also, because the vario itself is quite small.

Regards,

Raphael
Old Oct 12, 2008, 05:31 PM View Post
billpa
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). It is temporarily hidden while billpa edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:14 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
If total energy compensation is required, the OSD + Glide Data Recorder is a step up from this.
Trappy,
I would defiantly spend that money for a good Product
but I probably wouldnt put my name in the list before I dont have more detailed infos, and can be sure it will work like I whish for
any chance to see what all this could look like?

Bill,
It makes sense to have the vario integrated in the osd for sure
(switching it on and off, mixing it with the real audio...etc)

but I am not sure if I understand this right...
the 177US version has a vario but no total energy compensation?
What is the difference? more accurate?
And is there a total price for that?

cant wait for this little toy to make fpv soaring finally a more real experience
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Patscherpofel, that is correct. Eagle Tree calculates total energy using an airspeed sensor (and Newton's laws). The total energy factor is fully configurable even when you are in the air.

The Glide Recorder contains both a high resolution altimeter and airspeed sensor, and costs $220USD. So, the complete package should be $220 + $70 (and it also displays airspeed).

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread