HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:16 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,100 Posts
So how do you go about implimenting this to an OSD display then ? Im using a blackstork 2
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:51 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
how is this tut?:

http://fpv-community.com/forum/showt...highlight=rssi
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:05 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,100 Posts
Yup thats a great help, appreciated
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
If anyone can help please let me know... I am trying to find the RSSI pinout for this RX:

This works with the FlySky FS-TH9X (b version).

Here are some pictures of the circuit board:

Any thoughts?
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
What is on the other side ?
Can you read on the chip above the crystal ? I wasn't able to distinguish something readable
Most 2.4Ghz receivers does not exhibit a RSSI signal due to their operating nature. Instead they signal lost packets, by flashing a LED. Is there a LED on this receiver? If positive, I would tap it into the OSD RSSI input.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:48 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
What is on the other side ?
Can you read on the chip above the crystal ? I wasn't able to distinguish something readable
Most 2.4Ghz receivers does not exhibit a RSSI signal due to their operating nature. Instead they signal lost packets, by flashing a LED. Is there a LED on this receiver? If positive, I would tap it into the OSD RSSI input.
I will let you know what is written on the chip, those chips are way too small

Yes the RX has a red LED when status is OK, when I turn off the TX this LED turns off. I don't know if it blinks when having lost packets... How can I simulate that? I guess I will have too power on the stuff and record a video of the RX and leave the house!

How this will be displayed on an OSD ? lets say that 0% is 0.6v and 100% is 6v, when the led is flashing will it dance between those two? or will it simply go to 0.6v?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
...Yes the RX has a red LED when status is OK, when I turn off the TX this LED turns off. I don't know if it blinks when having lost packets... How can I simulate that? I guess I will have too power on the stuff and record a video of the RX and leave the house!

How this will be displayed on an OSD ? lets say that 0% is 0.6v and 100% is 6v, when the led is flashing will it dance between those two? or will it simply go to 0.6v?
You can simulate simpler than you believe...
Just place the radio inside a microwave owen, this will be a perfect Faraday cage, creating the effect of a 2km distance.
DON'T power the microwave owen, lol !!!
After you close the owen, the range of your RC will be reduced to 3-5m only. You can walk with the receiver and see how it behaves, if it blinks, or stop abruptly.

If you use the LED method there is no more quantitatve approach, like signal xx% good. You must return imediatelly you see permanent blinking in the OSD. Random blinks at some seconds interval can be ignored.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Just place the radio inside a microwave owen, this will be a perfect Faraday cage, creating the effect of a 2km distance.
After you close the owen, the range of your RC will be reduced to 3-5m only. You can walk with the receiver and see how it behaves, if it blinks, or stop abruptly.

If you use the LED method there is no more quantitatve approach, like signal xx% good. You must return imediatelly you see permanent blinking in the OSD. Random blinks at some seconds interval can be ignored.
Thanks Renatoa for this very useful information!!

I will do this test when I get home, I guess knowing that you are loosing packets is better than nothing. Mostly when you are using a cheap ass 60$ 9 channels TX / RX (FS-TH9X) like I do.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:04 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
Cheap ass is not always necessary bad.
If you allow me another sugestion, if your actual 2.4GHz RF system (module + receiver) doesn't not satisfy you, you have the chance to upgrade to the new FrSky system, for at least several reasons:
- it is one of the best 2.4GHz systems on the market, borrowing the best from cream of the cream like Hitec and Futaba.
- it has +5km range, tested by me, search my recent posts for the test report. In fact, is the biggest range known by me reported by an individual for a stock setup, no booster, no fancy antennas.
- it is two way, i.e. has telemetry, and more important for your range worries, it features audio out-of-range warnings, in the radio module. This way you can forget about OSD, when you hear out-of-range beeps, you simply return ! These beeps tones ranges on three levels, some hundreds meters before total link lost, so you have enough time to return.
- not the last, because you can ! the system is available as JR module, that fits your radio.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:28 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Cheap ass is not always necessary bad.
If you allow me another sugestion, if your actual 2.4GHz RF system (module + receiver) doesn't not satisfy you, you have the chance to upgrade to the new FrSky system, for at least several reasons:
- it is one of the best 2.4GHz systems on the market, borrowing the best from cream of the cream like Hitec and Futaba.
- it has +5km range, tested by me, search my recent posts for the test report. In fact, is the biggest range known by me reported by an individual for a stock setup, no booster, no fancy antennas.
- it is two way, i.e. has telemetry, and more important for your range worries, it features audio out-of-range warnings, in the radio module. This way you can forget about OSD, when you hear out-of-range beeps, you simply return ! These beeps tones ranges on three levels, some hundreds meters before total link lost, so you have enough time to return.
- not the last, because you can ! the system is available as JR module, that fits your radio.
wow this thing looks nice... I will definitely look into this as an upgrade for my tx / rx. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:27 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
So I have tried to find what is happening on the RX when it is missing packets and I couldn't make it dance. I have put the TX in the microwave oven, selected defrost and typed 3 minutes...and j/k :P

Seriously the TX in the microwave did not change anything on the RX side, I couldn't move the RX a lot to have it further away so I will have to re-do this test a bit later when wife is not there to tell me that my TX cannot be eaten.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:43 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
Are you sure you closed the door perfectly ?
Only one mm open and the leaks are significant.
If still behave as above, then I would serious look for an owen service ... you can't continue to use it this way :scared:
I can make a movie to see how efficient is the shielding of mine.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:09 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:

is this pretty accurate range wise (2KM)? the reason i am asking is because i can go about 20M and outside just a bit w/ no led blinking, it seems my front door being metal stops it as i go outside and shut the door, i go about 1M and it starts blinking red/grn, but if i go in front of a window i can go another 5M and still have red/grn and i don't get full red until probably a full 15M outside.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
Ah, is not accurate at all !
It depends from receiver to receiver, each has its own sensibility.
What you can detect pretty exact with this method is if you receiver has an usable range of led blinking before failsafe, to allow you turn in real flight, or the switch from flight to failsafe is sudden and unpredictable.
For example, if your led starts blinking at 18m and failsafe kicks at 20m, then you may rely on a 10% warn range margin in real flight too. This could mean 200m if your receiver has 2km range, or 300m for 3km range.
Last edited by renatoa; Jun 25, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:58 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
is this pretty accurate range wise (2KM)? the reason i am asking is because i can go about 20M and outside just a bit w/ no led blinking, it seems my front door being metal stops it as i go outside and shut the door, i go about 1M and it starts blinking red/grn, but if i go in front of a window i can go another 5M and still have red/grn and i don't get full red until probably a full 15M outside.
Bob, what brand / model of RX and TX are you using?