HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Radical RC Laser Cut Dual TX Case Review

Radical RC's Laser Cut Dual TX case is a case you build from a kit and a way to show off your building skills before you even take out a plane!!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:17in/431.8mm
Weight:68oz/1927g
Height:12.5in/317.5mm
Transmitter:Any x2
Manufacturer:Radical RC
Available From:Radical RC
Price:$119.99

The other day, I came home and found a box on my porch. Inside that box was some packing material and another box. Inside that box - more packing material and yet ANOTHER box! What is this, nested boxes? A practical joke?

Nah, that third box is actually a laser cut kit that produces a box, more accurately a case, that holds two transmitters and some other support gear. I saw a completed example at Radical RC's booth at Joe Nall '08, and I knew with my addiction to Dave Thacker's kits and my love for woodworking I was gonna have to have one.

Kit Contents

Assembly

Per the instructions, I started with the top, then the bottom, the hinges, latches and handle. The only area that required any sanding or fitting of parts was the hook portion of the hinges that anchor those parts to the box and lid. I dry fit all parts before gluing anything, and except for the handle, the joinery would probably hold it together well enough to use, but I don't recommend that. I epoxied the handle where the ends are glued on,: this joint needs to be strong and somewhat flexible, and CA is too brittle for this joint in my opinion. I was tempted to pin this joint with toothpicks, but it has held up well so far as designed.

The latch system for this case is ingenious. There are two latches that are held with small opposing magnets when the lid is open, and larger magnets in the lid pull the latches closed when the lid is closed. Push in the buttons, and lift the lid to open

Radio Installation

Completion

I used a 1/4 inch roundover bit in my router table and then the orbital sander to make quick work of relieving all the corners. This can certainly be accomplished by hand sanding if you don't have the tools, it just takes longer.

Is This For a Beginner?

This would be a great first build. As I said earlier, no gluing is done until it all fits, so if something isn't quite right you can wiggle and tweak it till it fits.

Conclusion

This was a fun project, it's very well designed, and fit and function are perfect, and if you are into woodworking and in need of a transmitter case it is a must have. I'm very proud and happy with the finished product, and I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Angela H; Nov 25, 2008 at 01:57 PM..

Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
Very interesting product and a nice, clean review of it.

My first thought was "man, this thing looks heavy." I saw you listed it at 68oz. Does it "feel" heavy? Sure looks solid!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,803 Posts
No video??
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:58 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,421 Posts
Nice looking double case but $119......hmmmmm!??
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:26 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
I'm in agreement here. I would think for $119 they would have at least built it for you. Nice box, but I think its a bit high especially for one you have to build yourself. I might buy one if it was in the $50 range since I can get the aluminum ones for about that.

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:31 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Nice case, but I can only assume that their margin on that is absolutely huge at $119.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:50 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Nice case, but I can only assume that their margin on that is absolutely huge at $119.
Between wood and laser time, I'm betting it's not as 'huge' as you think. And knowing Radical, it's a fair price. Looks like a fun little build. Could see all kinds of creative ideas for dressing something like that up. Airbrushing logo's and designs springs to mind...
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
The price shocked me too.. but I think it is justified..
There is alot of nice A.C. ply in that, andthe dovetail/pins would take time to cut.
It doesn't appeal to me though. For less $$ I can go down to the workshop and rip up my own box with some nice ply I buy. I bet it appeals to those that don't have woodworking experience and all of the tools.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:31 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,892 Posts
Having no woodworking skills, nor the tools needed to create a box like this, I really like it! Thanks for the review, Id never seen this product before. Just what I needed, something else for the christmas list

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:16 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,762 Posts
I was interested until I saw the price. I'm sure a logical case can be made for material cost and laser time but it's still WAY beyond what I'd pay. For me at least, a Tx case is a practical item of necessity. There is nothing practical about $120 for a kit, when very sturdy plastic or aluminum cases can be had for much less. For that kind of money (or less) you can buy professional quality equipment cases (Pelican, for example), that will not only save the radios in any sort of drop or tumble but would be waterproof as well.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:15 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
David,

Thanks for that very interesting review! It's always nice to read about stuff other than planes!

That's a very-nice-looking case, that's for sure. I really like all the details and the little magnet/locking gizmos. That's Dave Thacker at its best right there -- Radical R/C sure knows how to do it. And your routing skills are awesome, too!

That said, I do have to agree a little bit about the price of the case. It looks great, and it's a nice project to do, but at $120, it's a bit steep... You can pick up aluminum cases for much less than that... That's just me, though.

But they're not as cool-looking as yours, though.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:48 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,714 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments guys, I know it's not cheap, but it's strong, shows your craftsmanship, and its easily pointed out at any large event's impound. Ok, with 2.4, maybe that last arguement doesnt carry so much weight, but there is a LOT of laser time involved here, and there are some very unique and innovative features in this and all of Dave's various tool caddies and other shop aids. He's certainly putting his laser cutter to good use! The case is not on his website as of this post, so that may not be the final price, and I forgot to mention in the article, a "description card" packed in the kit indicates it will be available in both birch and lite ply, the latter I would think would be somewhat cheaper.

Oh yeah, those "aluminum" cases, if you look a little closer, they are cheap luan ply or pressboard covered with a drink can or less thickness of aluminum. I've been trying to talk Dave into laser engraving a radio brand logo into the sides, JR, Spektrum, etc, or maybe having your name en-lased right above the handle. Maybe.....
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Hogue; Nov 26, 2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:04 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
333 Posts
Nice case but i agree, it is much too costly. When compared to Sig's Mini Boss field box at $43.
Steve_O is offline Find More Posts by Steve_O
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:10 AM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Yeah I would have to agree. That is pricey. I have the Spektrum case and it was less than that. He might need to reconsider the price and he might sell more of them.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:32 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Cool case , i like woodwork and would be proud to own this kind of tx case . But i would like a case for one tx and the added storage bins . I would be apply some several good lackuer coats and for the exterior a coat of paint too and then some stickers , because the case must be weatherproof . A morning dew or some water drops on the grass would ruin the wood quite fast .
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged