HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Discussion
Ultimate Mean Machine Slow Stick

OK so we did the build of the "Slow Stick Built Light Boomer's Way" so now it's time to see what we can come up with in a outrageous version. I have ordered the items and will be building this after the Mini Hawk is done however there are things I can do now so here goes. I have ordered a motor for the bird that develops 52oz of thrust and will be using my 3S 3300 20C Lipo for power. So far I have cut the motor mount reinforcing blocks after checking the thrust correction on my 42oz AP Version and got 6 degrees right and down. So the blocks were laid out on 1/4" ply and the side against the motor mount circle was cut on a 6 degree angle on my band saw so when assembled the thrust will be built in. If I need more I will add washers. Lipo tray was built my usual way out of 1/4" balsa backed with 1/64" ply and Velco added. and will be painted black along with the motor mount to match the fuse and CAed in place. I have added 2 zip ties for added insurance along with rubber band pegs to secure the heavy lipo along with the Velcro. LG is bent from 5/32" music wire and will be CAed and braided fish line wrapped to the fuse and soaked with CA and has 3" wheels with wheel collars. Pics attached. Wings and tail feathers will be reinforced with Carbon rods. The X-Gear is my favorite but will not take the weight of this monster.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Forgot to add the 3rd insurance Zip tie which is over the ply. The other 2 are against CA hardened balsa. BTW the notch in the fuse side is for clearance of the front wing mount as the tray goes under the wing.
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Sep 12, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:00 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
A note on bending the LG. To bend the tight bend to fit the fuse requires heating the area red hot to prevent snapping the music wire. Ask me how I know. Rest of the bends are by clamping in a vice and using hammer while applying bending pressure to the music wire. Comes easy after the first few. You don't want heat on the other bends as it takes the spring (temper) out of the music wire.
boomer
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Suggestion:

2 sets of the ARF (glider)... make symetrical wings... Add 4 mm coroplast ailerons (MAYBE FLAPS TOO) using hinge points.

You are meaning a mean machine based on the GWS Slow stick, right?
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
Geese boomer, you're a power hungry beast

Should be insane to see this thing loop within itself at full throttle, and scream out of sight in 2 seconds
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Suggestion:

2 sets of the ARF (glider)... make symetrical wings... Add 4 mm coroplast ailerons (MAYBE FLAPS TOO) using hinge points.

I am not interested in a symmetrical wing Slow Stick as my Slow Stick X makes that totally unnecessary and flys better than any plane I could make from 2 SS wings. This will be a stock Slow Stick modded to take the extra power with my usual mods I do to every overpowered SS I build plus a few new ones.
boomer
Old Sep 13, 2008, 02:13 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Suggestion:

If I remember right you made a symmetrical wing SS that flew great or was that someone else?
boomer
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
That was someone else.

Part of the reason for my suggestion is... it makes the wing much stronger by having the lower half. Possibly cheaper way to make it strong and rigid enough to handle the speed than the amount of CF needed to stiffen that underchamered airfoil.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
That was someone else.

Part of the reason for my suggestion is... it makes the wing much stronger by having the lower half. Possibly cheaper way to make it strong and rigid enough to handle the speed than the amount of CF needed to stiffen that underchamered airfoil.
You are right it does make it much stronger however it also makes it into much less of a floater and faster on low power and that is not what I want. I want to retain the draggy floater qualities as much as possible with the underchamered wing with the added weight and power. When I did the 44oz monster version with the geared speed 600 it still floated in pretty good. Here's a power off landing pic.
boomer
Old Sep 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I have a symmetrical SS wing with ailerons ready to go but have never tried it yet. Soon...
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:09 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,565 Posts
Hoo Boy! this thing should be crazy!

Sure hope to see some video of this...

I once put a power setup on my SS that developed approx 38 oz. of thrust.

I did not like the way it flew, but I did not have any thrust correction.

I built it before I knew anything about doing the thrust mod, and had I known about that, it might have been ok.

As it was, it did go fairly quick. That power system has now gone on to a different bird.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:41 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
I still don't get why you would need soo much power. It is almost pointless to take a plane that was intended for a lightweight, slow flying parkflyer, and turn it into a vertical screamer.

But watev. boomer should have a boomer here.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,565 Posts
Point is, it's fun to experiment, push the envelope, try different things....just to see what it will do.

I bet you're not much fun at parties, are you?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Last edited by galaxiex; Sep 13, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Actually this kind of setup makes an excellent AP Plane. The power lets you fly out of areas you couldn't with a light SS. It can be flown in a lot of wind. It gets to altitude fast so you can begin shooting pics and have enough power to get out of almost any difficult situation. Wing loading is still well within trainer specs even with a heavy camera or camcorder so it is still a floater but you can land in in a very small clearing by bringing it in using a tight spiral landing pattern and killing the roll out with a good nose up harrier type landing. The large Lipo lets you fly for over an hour so you needn't worry about cut-offs. You wouldn't believe some of the places I've flown my AP plane in and out of.
boomer
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:34 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Yay, another Boomer build. It makes me feel productive even though I am not I want to see the power system on this one!

Watching!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs