SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2002
58 Posts
What's the best brushless motor for a Zagi/Razor

Dear All,

What's the best brushless motor for the Zagi/Razor these days? A friend of mine want to buy one for his Razor and is considering the Astroflight 020. He's looking for the most power for the buck!

I know there are so many new entrants to this market - Hacker, Aveox, Jeti Phasors, etc. Recently, Steve Neu reviewed the Lehner 1020 in Quiet Flyer. Would appreciate any opinions. Thanks in advance.
H-tail is offline Find More Posts by H-tail
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:13 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I have a Bird of Prey in the mail. If you're not farmiliar with this plane, it is a new entry into the EPP combat wing market. It's main distinction is its forward swept wing planform. I too want the most bang for the buck and so I started looking at the Mega's. The reason for this is because I could get any of the motors and a 30 amp ESC for $140. I don't think that price can be beat.

Anyway, after much motocalc'ing I decided on a Mega 16/15/4 spinning a 6.5 X 4 thin scale prop on 8 X 950 Kan Nimh's. That's the lowest weight, least expensive, most powerful system I could figure out. Motocalc predicts insane speeds for a combat wing with this setup.
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:55 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Yup. What Jim said.
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2002
58 Posts
cool

That's cool, you'll have to tell us what kind of speed you estimate - 60mph? 90mph? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Ed
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:01 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
consider this option

16/15/4 mega
7 x 5 APC E
9 cell 1700AUP

I love it.....

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Feb 13, 2003, 04:51 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
H-tail,

Justin told me he was out flying the Zagi he was racing 2 laps to one with the BOP. This was against a highly skilled pilot that had experience pylon racing as well as with Zagi's and the BOP using the same exact gear. Justin says the forward swept wing configuration is just that much more efficient.

There's no way to tell motocalc it's predicting performance on a forward swept wing, but I plugged the wing area/weight/Wingspan into motocalc with the setup were talking about and motocalc said 55 mph. Justin says that the BOP has been radar'd at 55-60 on STOCK ZAGI GEAR!

Soooo..... taking all this into account, I'm thinking maybe 70-100???? It's a question of the airframe drag at those speeds. When I told Justing what I was going to put in the BOP he said, "Can everyone say scary fast!!"
Old Feb 15, 2003, 09:21 PM
Joined Aug 2002
58 Posts
Wow

Wow, you're going to have to tell me how it turns out. Sounds like a blast to fly. From what I hear, forward swept wings are supposed to stall better because they stall from the root first and then go out to the tip, meaning there still is aileron control. Be interested to know if you thought that was true. But as far having lower overall drag, hadn't heard that before but that would be awesome too! Thanks.

Ed
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:26 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Htail,

Until now, as far as I knew, forward swept wings just helped the stall characteristics. Justin has mentioned things about this model that would confirm this such as, great stability, great stall behavior, and even enhanced tracking in dives. I think he was surprised as the rest of us that it also gained him speed and efficiency. It's what sold me on the model. I have the electronics, motor system and battery sitting on the work bench ready to install as soon as the kit arrives......