SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:13 AM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Discussion
Maiden flight of the YAK 55SP 10e

I finally had a chance to fly my Hyperion YAK 55SP 10e this morning before work. I have been waiting for a low wind situation to test it out. Wind was almost non-existent, so I quickly packed the plane, transmitter and a charged battery into my car.

There is a public park on my drive into work (in Westport on the north side of the lake Mendota). It has some big soccer fields as well as a large empty field to the south. I've only flow there once before. I figured what the heck, this is a small plane, so a small field should be no problem.

Take off was nice and controlled. It climbed out easily at about 60% throttle. Only needed one or two clicks of right aileron trim and it was flying perfectly level. Did a couple of simple loops and rolls, the plane handles very well. I flew the entire flight on low rates, so no crazy stunts. Flew around for about 6 minutes. Since I was unfamiliar with the field, I didn't to a bunch of landings. Just the one landing, and it was smooth as butter. The grass was long, so when the plane slowed up, it gently nosed over.

This makes the fifth new plane of put together this year and flown. So far no major incidents. True - I've dorked up the landings a few times. :-)

Four of the five planes have been balsa ARFs. One EPP foam plane; the Sky Cat, which is still my favorite for 'trying new things' since I'm not all all worried about mishaps.

I must say, I'm totally convinced of the superiority of flying experience of a balsa and monocote style plane vs. a foamie. Perhaps I'm just a better flier now and I can notice the difference more, or perhaps the balsa ARFs I'm currently flying are better than average.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
What prop size are you using? I'm building a 10e yak 55 right now, but I want to order the prop before I finish up.
Splix is offline Find More Posts by Splix