HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Crash Hard, Cry Little
Weedville, PA
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 Alpha 40 DSM/2 2.4 GHz Trainer

I just completed the build on this plane. Has anyone flown this bird yet? If so, how does it fly?

Thanks,
Smacka
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
the Alpha is a great flying trainer.

Haven't seen the ones with 2.4 ghz installed... but the difference should be just the reciever and transmitter.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacka
I just completed the build on this plane. Has anyone flown this bird yet? If so, how does it fly?

Thanks,
Smacka
Mine is set to go but it rained here all weekend. I'm going to try again this Saturday. We can't possibly have 3 rainy weekends in a row, can we ?

I've heard very good things about the Alpha 40 and one of the members at my club flies an Alpha 60 and swears by it. He actually recommended the Alpha 60, but the Alpha 40 barely fits in my care, never mind the 60!
HillRf is offline Find More Posts by HillRf
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
I see that the wing on the .60 model dis-assembled with a tube and rod connection. So I can't imagine that it wouldn't fit in the car at least as easily as a .40

unfortunetely I also see where the .60 has been discontinued! Is that true, or only from the particular seller ?

Too bad!

Jim
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,649 Posts
I too have an Alpha 60 RTF I use to give occasional instruction with and feel it is a much better trainer than the Alpha 40. While the Alpha 60 RTF is not shown on Horizon's web site, there should still be quite a few of them out there if you look. The ARF version of the 60 is available so you can put together the equivalent (but it won't include the flight sim that comes with the RTF).

Both Alpha's have a 2 piece wing - a joiner tube gives the strength between both panels, and an anti-rotation pin on the aft part of one center rib prevents the panels from rotating. The 60 has the advantage of a bolt-on wing option the 40 doesn't but it neither designed to have a take apart wing. The wing joint is taped to prevent fuel from entering the radio compartment. If you decide to go with a take apart wing and rubberband it on, then check very carefully after each flight to make sure they aren't separating during flight. The 60 with the bolt-on wing shouldn't have any issues with wing panel separation (its held on with one dowel and one bolt in each half), but both will need adequate taping to prevent exhaust residue from entering the radio compartment through the center joint. You'll also need to disconnect the linkage to one aileron when taking the the wing apart.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:04 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ag3y
I see that the wing on the .60 model dis-assembled with a tube and rod connection. So I can't imagine that it wouldn't fit in the car at least as easily as a .40

unfortunetely I also see where the .60 has been discontinued! Is that true, or only from the particular seller ?

Too bad!

Jim
I didn't feel comfortable not assembling the wing due to the possibility of separation in flight and the possibility of fuel leaking into the bulkhead. At 63" it won't fit in the trunk of my Accord. For that matter, neither will the fuselage. Well, the wheels are pretty good, so maybe I could tow it behind !
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRf
I didn't feel comfortable not assembling the wing due to the possibility of separation in flight and the possibility of fuel leaking into the bulkhead. At 63" it won't fit in the trunk of my Accord. For that matter, neither will the fuselage. Well, the wheels are pretty good, so maybe I could tow it behind !
Build a roof rack for it... Remember to have the wing at appx -3 to -5 deg incidence to the ground. (you'll have to test to find the 0 lift angle)

Yes... I am joking
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Build a roof rack for it... Remember to have the wing at appx -3 to -5 deg incidence to the ground. (you'll have to test to find the 0 lift angle)

Yes... I am joking
My only concern is that if I reached a certain speed I would be airborne! Hmm, maybe I can link the aileron servos to the steering column !
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
One of the guys in our club has a very expensive airplane, fully aerobatic, like a 1.20 sized Extra 300. It comes all apart into very manageable pieces. When he is done flying, he just stuffs everything into a specially made case, that looks a bit like a golf bag, and throws everything into the trunk of his car.

I am pretty sure that the wings coming apart in flight is one of the LAST things he worries about !
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Harbor freight $200 trailer..

Used longbed camper shell... ($00 to $300 depending on where you get it)

A bit of work with plywood and scrap iron... (material cost appx $100)

Adding a hitch to your car... appx $100

And you suddenly can have ability to take 8 ft long wing panels/fuselages to the field.

Side bennefit: You can take the shell off the trailer and it can haul your riding lawn mower. or whatever else you want.

The biggest problem with planes in a trailer is the trailers bounce more than a car. You have to tie things down well. The lighter the tires in relation to the weight of the trailer, the less of a problem the bouncing is. The tiny light wheels and tires on the Harbor Freight kit help reduce bouncing... camper shell weight and heavy plywood for the trailer floor helps reduce bouncing...

Tie the planes down well in the trailer too... because they'll still bounce around more than in the car.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:37 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,313 Posts
On both Accords I had/have the rear seats fold down (actually the backrest folds down). Once folded the wing and fuse of the Alpha will fit in the trunk protruding into the passenger area. The same applies to the other two cars I had/have - Cavalier and Taurus. In the Cavalier and Taurus I even had a 60-size trainer - Hobbistar 60.

i.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:32 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
128 Posts
Actually, I also have an old Caravan (about to sell) and a new Odyssey both of which will carry the Alpha 40 fine. The funny thing is that the other plane I bring with me is a kit-built, 31" Electrict Stick which I place on the passenger seat!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:29 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
128 Posts
I maidened the Alpha 40 yesterday. It flew fantastic, just needed a little trimming once in the air. The only thing is that after the first flight the glow plug was burnt out. Fortunately I had a spare. Flies nice though. I am very happy with it!

I'm going to replace the 3-blade prop with a 12 X 5 though.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:25 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRf
You could always buy a Thule rack with enclosed ski carrier and transport practically any plane that can have it's wing removed. I'm considering that option when my current car finally gives up.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:51 AM
Three green
Joined Oct 2007
133 Posts
After learning to fly with my Alpha 40 I converted it to a tail dragger and took almost all the dihedral out of the wings. It was a fun plane before but what a difference. Now it lands better, ground handles better, and tracks better in the air. It was sure worth the Three hours of work to convert it.
CT-7 is offline Find More Posts by CT-7