Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
Discussion
3 CH Yellow Accipiter Badius Radio Remote Control Electric RC Airplane Glider RTF

Help! I bought this plane as my second attempt to get into rc electric flying. It has been advertised as a hot seller and the ads implied it is good as a sailplane and has plenty of power. My first several attempts to launch it by hand with a full throttle and plenty of lift in the tail resulted in it only making it about 15-20 ft from where it was launched. After multiple attempts, the wing got damaged but has been repaired. In other words, not enough power to get it to fly. It was a no wind day, and I have not tried it in a light breeze but don't believe I will have much more luck. The body, while solid, makes this plane heavy. Any advice as to how to get this plane flying would be most appreciated. I am very disappointed with the product so far and feel I've wasted $80. I'm also reluctant to invest much more in it.
vandolahr is offline Find More Posts by vandolahr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:41 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The ads always say the product is wonderful.

You aren't going to see an ad saying "This prouct is junk, please buy it anyway."

but... it sounds to me like you are using bad hand launch technique.

Get a $5 4.5 ft foam glider from Wal Mart or Toys-R-Us.

Practice getting smooth straight launches with that.
When you can get it to smoothly glide out, then add the weight of a 4 cell AA NiCd in the CG (don't change the bllance of the glider) and try a few launches.

Then launch your powered glider the same. (prop power turned off)

Results should be much better.

When you can get the launch correct you should almost be able to circle back to yourself without turning the motor on.

THEN you are ready to use the motor.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:53 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Well, first of all, do not add any up elevator into the plane on takeoff. Give the plane a good firm toss FORWARD, with power on, and let it fly straight for about 100ft. untill it has built sufficient speed. Then start a SLOW climb, using a small ammount of elevator, less than 1/4 stick movement.

And also, if an add says something along the lines of "An awesome flying plane, with plenty of power to spare. A hot seller!", then it probably is a hot seller, but only because they decieve you. It is 99% likely a junk plane that you might as well throw away, as the electronics are below junk.

When in doubt, and you can't find the answer you need by using the search tool then ask around.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:23 AM
Greensboro Pa USA
Joined Apr 2008
432 Posts
I believe your plane comes with a 370 brushed motor... that's your problem
right there. You'll have to go brushless and lipo if you want that bird to fly.
There's a couple of threads here and the other sites devoted to this plane &
go there and get all the info and tips you can think of. I saw this plane at
nitro and raidentech, looks nice but you have to replace/upgrade almost everything....something commonplace in the world of RTF's.
HEMICUDA is offline Find More Posts by HEMICUDA
Old Sep 12, 2008, 01:18 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
I've had/have several of these planes. I had no problems flying them, except the cheap radio glitching, so I replaced the Radio and pluged in a new receiver, with the stock motor,esc, batt and servos.
You may not be charging the batt to a full charge. The nimh batts need to be charged a few times to reach there full charge.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2006
21 Posts
I have a white one I bought this spring and I have no trouble getting it airborn, after a few initial learning attempts. I had read online that some people reported problems with torque when launching WOT, so at first I was using less throttle, which is sort of do-able, if you give a vigorous throw, but I have found no problems from torque with a WOT launch.

I find my plane has plenty of power - I con do a loop with not much problem.

One possible problem is that with WOT the plane, with the elevator trim centered, will assume about 45 degree nose-up attitude. This can lead to a stall. I like to fly mine with the throttle very low to off, and use the motor only when climbing for altitude, so I don't change the trim but rather just use forward stick input in connection with the throttle to maintain proper flight attitude.

I am pretty new to R/C and other than for Airhogs this is my first plane. I have found it to be an enjoyable and easy to fly plane. As always, YMMV.
wschart is offline Find More Posts by wschart
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I give several of them a try. From the other threads, it looks like others have been able to make this plane work, so I'll go back and try try again until something breaks. If anyone has a good suggestion of another glider that flies well, I would appreciate advice on what next to buy. I saw the 2 CH Wind Spirit Radio Remote Control Electric RC Pusher Airplane at BananaHobby, but now doubt all claims made in the description. This plane does looks like it would be easy to fly and does not have a heavy fuse but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this plane.
vandolahr is offline Find More Posts by vandolahr
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
A good powered sailplane complete with radio is going to cost twice what the Accipter cost.... or more. Not less. the 2 ch from banana hobby is going the wrong way.

You're better off getting pink foam sheets (appx $8 for 4 ft X 8 ft)at the local building supply / lumber yard, then chopping out an airplane, and putting all of your money into a decent radio + motor system, than you are going to be by buying one of the cheap package deals from e-bay.

The advertisement ALWAYS says the plane is wonderful
You won't buy it if the advertisement says its junk.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Aug 2008
12 Posts
Vandolahr,
most big gliders must be thrown into the wind on a WINDY day or bungee launched. you can get a good bungee launcer for about 25$ depending on where you get it. or you can make one from about 50ft. of surgical cord.
Chogurt is offline Find More Posts by Chogurt
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2008
12 Posts
also, If your seriuos about this I have a 6ft. k-d2 made from balsa with a foam core... thats what you should get. don't give up!!!
Chogurt is offline Find More Posts by Chogurt
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:47 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
This plane launches easy with a freash batt pack, even in no wind.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777