HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
paint

Love your paint scheme simple but way cool to me! What kind of paint?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Love your paint scheme simple but way cool to me! What kind of paint?
Thanks! I have black on the underside of the wings as well with red tips. I used some stuff from Michaels called Design Master Colortool spray that is specifically designed for foam. I am having a hard time keeping it adhered to the bottom of the wing and may do something different next time but it worked ok.
reddog15 is offline Find More Posts by reddog15
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
paint

Great I have a Michael's here in Tallahassee. Is it in a spray can?

By the way while I was using the hot water trick to straighten a bend a twist in my new fuse. As was drying the fuse I noticed a blue fluid/film appear. Found out that is mold release and its on my wing too. Paint doesn't stick to mold releases very well so I guess I am lucky I had to use hot water on the plane.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:01 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog15 View Post
Well, did my first flight today and it went really well despite the 10-12 MPH gusty winds. Did a couple of hand launch power off glides and was satisfied with the trim and balance and then went for it with the power. Really love this plane! Had a couple of levitating landings that looked pretty cool but kept the pucker factor high.
I had winds today....
Easy Glider with flaperon/spoilerons (4 min 13 sec)

Nifty landing at 1:00
Computed the speed at landing...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I have black on the underside of the wings as well with red tips. I used some stuff from Michaels called Design Master Colortool spray that is specifically designed for foam. I am having a hard time keeping it adhered to the bottom of the wing and may do something different next time but it worked ok.
I have not found any paint that will adhere good. My favorite paint is Rustoleum Painter's Choice/ It does not attack the foam but on the bottom of the wings where gets scraped by grass and weeds on landing it scrapes off. I have started covering the bottom of the wing with light-weight (1/2 or 3/4 ounce) fiberglass cloth applied with Minwax Polycrylic water-based sealer. Painted applied to that adheres well, and it stiffens the foam.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
846 Posts
A video of my homemade Radian clear canopy.

Parkzone Radian's Homemade Clear Canopy (12 min 49 sec)
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
77 Posts
Sparky, that is a nifty landing! I was stationed at Edwards for a couple of years so can sympathize with your wind situation.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Great I have a Michael's here in Tallahassee. Is it in a spray can?

By the way while I was using the hot water trick to straighten a bend a twist in my new fuse. As was drying the fuse I noticed a blue fluid/film appear. Found out that is mold release and its on my wing too. Paint doesn't stick to mold releases very well so I guess I am lucky I had to use hot water on the plane.
It is a rattle can. I bought black, red, and clearcoat. I tried the trick of washing the mold release off before painting. I think it helped a little.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I have not found any paint that will adhere good. My favorite paint is Rustoleum Painter's Choice/ It does not attack the foam but on the bottom of the wings where gets scraped by grass and weeds on landing it scrapes off. I have started covering the bottom of the wing with light-weight (1/2 or 3/4 ounce) fiberglass cloth applied with Minwax Polycrylic water-based sealer. Painted applied to that adheres well, and it stiffens the foam.
Nice trick with the FG, kill two birds with one stone!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Sparky, that is a nifty landing! I was stationed at Edwards for a couple of years so can sympathize with your wind situation.
I didn't get a good downwind set of images... but the wind may come up again....
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:18 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,914 Posts
Did you realize at 1 min 53 secs both your ailerons are up? or did you briefly activate spoilerons? Had another look and I see you must have...
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
A video of my homemade Radian clear canopy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnncl...=youtube_gdata
You video gave me Goosebumps. Very dangerous way to cut anything! These are on sale now at your local box store or Ebay. Variable speed table mount or free hand Dremal Moto Saw
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,158 Posts
rubbing alcohol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
has any1 tried cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol before painting?
i learned this trick from my son, who is into plastic models and advised me to do that.
i haven't tried it on the rad, but i may some day, so don't know how it could do on this kind of foam.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
has any1 tried cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol before painting?
i learned this trick from my son, who is into plastic models and advised me to do that.
i haven't tried it on the rad, but i may some day, so don't know how it could do on this kind of foam.
Another topic beat to death here. Do a search. Plenty of info here and in the Finishing and Painting forum to answer these questions.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Did you realize at 1 min 53 secs both your ailerons are up? or did you briefly activate spoilerons? Had another look and I see you must have...
That is the idea for the test. To see which way the plane pitches with flaperons and spoilerons, and also to see how the turn is affected when one or the other is up when it should be down...
All previous tests with other airplanes with the spoilers at the thick point of the wing, top and bottom, or as inboard surfaces, show the plane pitches down with spoilers, and up with flaps.
This one with outboard ailerons rigged as flaperons doesn't do that. Hoping for a calmer day to get long flight sequences with the surfaces up or down.