HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
846 Posts
Another spectacular day out with my Radian, this afternoon. Three words(aside from "Spectacular"), Clouds/Sunset/Beautiful! I'll share my video with you as soon as it's uploaded to youtube!
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:29 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
getting ready to break through 280,000 views on my youtube channel- thanks to all for the views- if you haven't subscribed yet for the cool radian and flight videos- I offer a personal invitation to my Radian brethren....

the Bald eagle video will have 500 views soon- thanks again....

this is my channel~

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdearinger?feature=mhee
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the aerial photography threads lately, and there are some very dark clouds on the horizon. The paranoia about drones invading people's privacy is causing new laws to be drafted in the US that could make it illegal for the average guy to have an eye in the sky. If you want to know more, here is a good place to start...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1821660&page=1
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the aerial photography threads lately, and there are some very dark clouds on the horizon. The paranoia about drones invading people's privacy is causing new laws to be drafted in the US that could make it illegal for the average guy to have an eye in the sky. If you want to know more, here is a good place to start...

well- i hope it will still be legal to chase another plane and video it in the sky over an open field- I really hope this doesn't get out of hand- but with the Current trend in American politics to curtail our freedoms, I am a bit concerned- So I guess I will fly and video as much as I cant until I can't- and then I may go underground-lol
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post

I don't think I'll worry about it, the cops around here won't respond if you call and tell them there is an intruder in the back yard. I can't see them telling people to land so they can see if there is a camera.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I don't think I'll worry about it, the cops around here won't respond if you call and tell them there is an intruder in the back yard. I can't see them telling people to land so they can see if there is a camera.
and its not like a gopro on a radian can zoom in on a license plate or hold still and steady enough to see much- now the FPV quads may have more of a problem...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
Time for another video! This one was made by one of my buddies, who is also a student at TAMU. He's got the stock Radian; the red one and the Skywalker are mine. I've got my own video in the works with the same raw footage, so stay tuned for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64HHQHtS-o
Nice flyin and loved the vid.
How do you like the skywalker for fpv?
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
846 Posts
Watch in HD!

Clouds Drapped Over The Mountains and Sunset (5 min 33 sec)
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Nice flyin and loved the vid.
How do you like the skywalker for fpv?
I'll pass your compliment on to my friend. My version will be a bit more silly: more crashes, more antics, and so on.

The Skywalker is fantastic. It hauls a ton of weight, has plenty of thrust, cruises very efficiently, handles wind like a champion with the gyro, has a wide range of speeds, and has an incredible approach with flaps.

Even though it doesn't look as good, it blows the TwinStar out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

I still have a few odds and ends to work out, for instance, throwing some rubber washers on the motor mount to isolate the GoPro jello, but so far I have only good things to say about this plane.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
I'll pass your compliment on to my friend. My version will be a bit more silly: more crashes, more antics, and so on.

The Skywalker is fantastic. It hauls a ton of weight, has plenty of thrust, cruises very efficiently, handles wind like a champion with the gyro, has a wide range of speeds, and has an incredible approach with flaps.

Even though it doesn't look as good, it blows the TwinStar out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

I still have a few odds and ends to work out, for instance, throwing some rubber washers on the motor mount to isolate the GoPro jello, but so far I have only good things to say about this plane.
We would love to see your version if you know us
I would look at balancing your prop or a bent shaft as Scott and myself have never had that problem with our gopros.
I do think a solid mount is better as we velcro ours and then rubberband it down for a solid mount.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:54 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
We would love to see your version if you know us
I would look at balancing your prop or a bent shaft as Scott and myself have never had that problem with our gopros.
I do think a solid mount is better as we velcro ours and then rubberband it down for a solid mount.
I'm super swamped with schoolwork this week so I might have a week or more before it's done. I did start putting clips on the timeline yesterday, so I've got a bit at least.

The problem is that my mount is TOO solid. It's nothing but balsa and doesn't have any of the natural damping that rubber bands and velcro do.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
Spoilers for my Radian. Lots of folks talk about them so I thought I would do it.
Does it really need them? NO but it will be fun to see what they can do. No test flights yet.

Bass wood spoilers
2 small hinges
9g servo
rubberband
2 small magnets

presto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEttgVErwU
Lammergier are there any updates? I am really curious to hear how this worked/is working. I was about to do the exact same to my Radian, but am debating putting in a set of HobbyKing spoilers. Your design was exactly what I was working on. I had test mounted one in a piece of packing styrofoam to make sure I had the right tools and get everything lined up before cutting into an actual wing. My only problem was deciding whether or not to make a connection from the servo arm to the spoiler, or just let friction do the work. My concern is that I have read about turbulence causing the spoiler to flip over and if it isn't connected to the servo arm then you just lost use of the spoiler until you land and reset it.

Can't wait to hear about your implementation.

One a side note, I know my Radian like everyone elses has a real problem with climbing on full throttle. I went into my DX6i and put in a mix from throttle to elevator and have it feed in some down elevator the higher I push the throttle. I set it to around 25-40% and it seems to be very good at smoothing out the throttle application. I put the activation on the flap switch so that I can turn it off if I don't want it. So far after about 3 flights I am really happy with the mix.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:04 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Can't wait to hear about your implementation.

One a side note, I know my Radian like everyone elses has a real problem with climbing on full throttle. I went into my DX6i and put in a mix from throttle to elevator and have it feed in some down elevator the higher I push the throttle. I set it to around 25-40% and it seems to be very good at smoothing out the throttle application. I put the activation on the flap switch so that I can turn it off if I don't want it. So far after about 3 flights I am really happy with the mix.
+1 on a review of Lammergier's installation and performance.

WRT climbing on full throttle, this has been much discussed in this thread but worth repeating. Of course your solution works but it is only compensating for the real problem which is a misplaced balance point (commonly referred to as CG). When set as suggested in the instructions, the Radian is nose heavy and up trim must be added to make it glide flat. When throttle is applied the increased airspeed along with the up trim causes the plane to want to loop and you are forced to mix in down trim to flaten the climb. The cure is to move the balance point back to neutralize that effect by removing the previously installed up trim. Try ti out. It works well but do it incrementally to find your comfort zone. Many set the balance point as much as 3.5" back from the LE of the wing.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
I might play around with the balance point but I am very comfortable with the current balance and trim of my radian. I won't say that mine has ever wanted to loop, but it sure does go nose up. I have always fed in some down elevator when ramping up the throttle so this just eases in a little automatically and since it's tied to the throttle makes it really smooth even if my throttle hand isn't. I will revise my settings:

Thro -> Elev Act
Rate D 0% U + 20% (Note my elevator servo is set to reverse)
SW Flap Trim INH

Since my elevator servo is reversed this gives you a proportional down of 20% when the throttle is over half way up. You can still feed in more or less elevator if you want with the stick, and flip the switch for flaps and it goes away altogether. I will see if I want to fiddle with the CG, but right now it's pretty close to where I like to set it for most of my planes. I really don't want it too squirrely.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
+1 on a review of Lammergier's installation and performance.

WRT climbing on full throttle, this has been much discussed in this thread but worth repeating. Of course your solution works but it is only compensating for the real problem which is a misplaced balance point (commonly referred to as CG). When set as suggested in the instructions, the Radian is nose heavy and up trim must be added to make it glide flat. When throttle is applied the increased airspeed along with the up trim causes the plane to want to loop and you are forced to mix in down trim to flaten the climb. The cure is to move the balance point back to neutralize that effect by removing the previously installed up trim. Try ti out. It works well but do it incrementally to find your comfort zone. Many set the balance point as much as 3.5" back from the LE of the wing.
Well put, and it is also worth noting that you don't have to do the infamous decalage mod to enjoy the pleasures of having the CG further back. If you can live with a little down-trim on the elevator, there is no pressing need to change anything else. If I launch at half throttle, it flies level, and when the throttle is increased to max, it gradually works it's way to vertical. That seems pretty ideal to me.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx