HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:27 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
The weather last week was not good for flying, way too windy, this week looks much better. I was able to fly my Radian with the Eagle Tree Guardian on board this morning and it works very well. Normally on a Radian without a Guardian installed, WOT results in pitching up the nose so much that the plane will make a large loop, some down elevator must be applied to climb at a sustainable rate.

With the Guardian in 2D mode, WOT results in the plane flying very fast but still level, the nose doesn't pitch up at all. If you want the Radian to climb, you just need to apply a little up elevator. Centering the TX stick in 2D mode always results in the plane flying straight and level, no matter what attitude it was in before the TX stick was centered.

No auto level in 3D mode, it's auto attitude instead. The climb is different than when in 2D mode, you set your desired climb angle using the elevator and then you center the TX stick and it climbs at that angle straight as an arrow until you touch the stick again. Very cool!

The wind picked up while flying and I could see the Guardian fighting it, especially when I brought the Radian in for a landing. While it smooths things out and reduces pilot workload when flying in windy conditions, I'm sure that video recorded from the plane while passing through turbulence would still look jerky. Super smooth video requires a calm day and a gentle touch on the TX sticks, and there's no getting around that, even with a fancy flight stabilizer on board.
How wonderful!

I'm still waiting for a system that let's me give mine a toss out the door and go back inside for a nap.

I've done a careful study and determined that super smooth video is just as boring as jerky video. If you like I can post a link to my favorite Radian video
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:56 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
440 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:07 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
I'm sorry you didn't find my post interesting, but others might. If you want to discuss another aspect of the Radian, you're welcome to start a new topic in this thread while ignoring all the other posts.
Radian is a thermal sailplane. If you want to discuss auto pilots and video's you're welcome to do that in several topics/forums here
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:23 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,715 Posts
JayY
Thank you for the flight report on the Guardian. I found it interesting. I also enjoy watching your smooth videos. Enjoy flying and watch out for trolls.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,785 Posts
JayY,
Gohmer tends to be sarcastic and passive aggressive with his comments when folks post things he doesn't feel are appropriate. My advice - take your own advice, and ignore the posts you don't like. I thought your post was Radian-appropriate.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
811 Posts
Here's a really short, flight video I took today. If it wasn't for the frigid wind chills blowing around, I would've made a longer video.
Radian's Short Flight (2 min 33 sec)
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
73 Posts
Well, pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Radian. I have flown other electric and glow and am ready to relax for a bit. Thanks to all for all of the helpful hints that I will have fun incorporating when it arrives!
reddog15 is offline Find More Posts by reddog15
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:43 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,715 Posts
You made a good choice reddog15, as this is the ultimate in relaxed flying. The only danger is that you have to remember to step up to the plate when you go back to flying one of the other ones. I totaled my Mustang after too much Radian fun.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
JayY,
Gohmer tends to be sarcastic and passive aggressive with his comments when folks post things he doesn't feel are appropriate. My advice - take your own advice, and ignore the posts you don't like. I thought your post was Radian-appropriate.
Best,
Josh
Ditto. Gohmer's post is inappropriate.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:50 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
315 Posts
maximillionalpha,
Watched your videos on the last page, where abouts in Lewistown are you flying? Looked pretty cold too.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
811 Posts
Hi Russ, I fly at one of our local parks, mostly, whenever I don't feel like driving 11 miles out into the hills to fly at the farm(which is most of the time). Yes, temps were hovering around 22-24 deg. with 6 mph windchill gusts that made it feel like 11 degrees.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
811 Posts
This morning's flight video...
Be sure to watch it in HD
Snowy Morning Sail with My Parkzone Radian Sailplane (8 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Maximilionalpha; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:13 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
While Making a flight to test our new HobbyKing Wing Cam ll, Eckace and I run into 3 Bald Eagles- So we did both- we flew with Eagles and tested new HD 1080p cam-

Used 4 Cams - 2 on each plane- you will be able to tell which cam is the new one- very crisp, Gopro like quality...

Cam is excellent, Eagle footage pretty cool- plus the usual sprinkle of Off Topic Flyer comedy

Soaring RC Radians with Bald Eagles (7 min 11 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Last edited by scottdearinger; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:17 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
You made a good choice reddog15, as this is the ultimate in relaxed flying. The only danger is that you have to remember to step up to the plate when you go back to flying one of the other ones. I totaled my Mustang after too much Radian fun.
Yes- I try not to warm up with a Radian flight before I fly my 100mph Skyfun- just doesn't work that way -

instead I fly Radian afterwards to calm my nerves and stop my knees from knocking..
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
73 Posts
scottdearinger, what kind of reinforcement do you have on the back of the Radian?
reddog15 is offline Find More Posts by reddog15