SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:24 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I'm sure many of us have more then a few changes we would like to see on a new and improved PZ Radian Glider
The thing is, not everybody has the same list. Some people want a better prop for a faster climb, some want a stiffer tail for better elevator and rudder action, and so on. Every possible weakness of this plane has already been found and easy and effective solutions have also been found.

I wish Parkzone would realize that fiberglass is history and carbon fiber is better in every way. Every way except price that is. They are trying to attain a price point that doesn't allow that luxury, and that means we can still mod this plane to be better than their basic offering.

Look at the V2 Corsair that recently came out. It's heavier and more expensive and has a whole new set of problems that need to be worked out.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:33 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
i wish...

Quote:
The Radian (not the Pro version) has been out for awhile now...and while I've owned a few since they first came out and love them - it would be nice if it received a refresh.

I'm sure many of us have more then a few changes we would like to see on a new and improved PZ Radian Glider (not the Pro model)...

Has anyone heard anything about a Radian V2 coming out in the relatively near future?

Thanks,
-mike-

i would like to see a more pointed spinner. the stock is too blunt.
i have got here some alternatives, 1 of them from bphobbies, plastic, that does fine and the shape is more to my liking, and about same weight.
see http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=E1055866 and there is another from headsup rc that is all aluminum that looks great, although is heavier. see: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Hub-for/Detail
i have both and am happy with them.
the thing is, the stock has the geometry that lets the pivot of the blade inside the spinner, hence more streamlined be when turning or when folded, and the others don't.
so i wish the designers of the stock rad could just release a spinner with same features, just more pointed... it would look much better.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
The Radian (not the Pro version) has been out for awhile now...and while I've owned a few since they first came out and love them - it would be nice if it received a refresh.

I'm sure many of us have more then a few changes we would like to see on a new and improved PZ Radian Glider (not the Pro model)...

Has anyone heard anything about a Radian V2 coming out in the relatively near future?

Thanks,
-mike-
At least once every year there are rumors about a new Radian but it has never happened. A couple of years ago our brothers in the UK were sure it was about to happen because the supply line there had choked, but it was a false alarm. If and when it does we are not likely to know anything about it ahead of time. That would kill sales of existing inventory.

Personally I don't care. I know how to make the necessary mods to the existing model and don't want to relearn a new one. My best source for guidance is Paul Naton:

http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...-ups.html#more
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
I moved up to the Mystique and it is great. It seemed to fast at first, but if you camber the wing just 3.5mm down, it floats like the Radian. I recommend this one if folk enjoy gliding and want to go full house.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I moved up to the Mystique and it is great. It seemed to fast at first, but if you camber the wing just 3.5mm down, it floats like the Radian. I recommend this one if folk enjoy gliding and want to go full house.
I wonder if there is a quantitative way to compare the sink rate of different sailplanes. We all know that the Radian with a wing loading of 6.6 oz/sq ft rates right up there as far as e-gliders go. How does the sink rate compare with a plane such as the Mystique that has almost double the wing loading, but is also larger and slicker? Obviously, sink rate depends on more than just wing loading.

I live in a place that is not known for having great thermals. What I would like to find, is an e-glider that can do the mostest with the leastest of the little bit of lift in my flying environment. Maybe I already have it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
I say to all of you guys that want more out of the Radian, than what it originally was designed for, to go buy yourselves a Phoenix 2000. Now, Fast??? You got it! Rigid??? You got it! Re-enforced wing spar??? Again,...you got it! Props that can slice through a salami and still maintain their sharp pointy tips??? You got it again! Strong, blow molded fuselage??? Yes!
Phoenix 2000 Rc Glider vs Strong Winds (7 min 21 sec)
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
There are always thermals when the sun is out in Smithers and you have great slopes that we prairie boys don't have so quit complaining
I was not complaining but instead asking if there was a quantitative method of comparing sink rates between sailplanes. I have managed to find one slope soaring site, but getting there is not for the faint of heart.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
I say to all of you guys that want more out of the Radian, than what it originally was designed for, to go buy yourselves a Phoenix 2000. Now, Fast??? You got it! Rigid??? You got it! Re-enforced wing spar??? Again,...you got it! Props that can slice through a salami and still maintain their sharp pointy tips??? You got it again! Strong, blow molded fuselage??? Yes!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFP2ZsNEURg
Spoken like a true electric airplane pilot. But this is about gliders.

Does it thermal like a Radian?

Well, as I read the reports .... Not so much.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Spelling, gramar and add info
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:18 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

There is a guy around here who has mated a Phoenix 2000 fuse with a radian wing that he has stretched to 2.6 meters. It floats pretty well!

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
It doesn't thermal like a Radian, because it's much heavier than the Radian and also, because it doesn't have the dehydral wing shape as the Radian, but she does thermal.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Spoken like a true electric airplane pilot. But this is about gliders.

BTW... All I fly are sailplanes...Phoenix 2000....Parkzone Radian.and my Ventus Discus.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilionalpha View Post
i say to all of you guys that want more out of the radian, than what it originally was designed for, to go buy yourselves a phoenix 2000. Now, fast??? You got it! Rigid??? You got it! Re-enforced wing spar??? Again,...you got it! Props that can slice through a salami and still maintain their sharp pointy tips??? You got it again! Strong, blow molded fuselage??? Yes]
wow!
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Last edited by Gohmer; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:25 PM.