Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:19 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,652 Posts
glues for radian

i have learned that glues like Beacon foam-tac stick to the foam of planes like the radian better. another good glue is welders. what i do is epoxy the reinforcements (like carbon fiber whatever) in place and when hardens, remove them and then apply a layer of faom-tac and hold in place.
to check how well epoxy holds, epoxy something and when hardens try to remove it. you will see that it does not stick so well.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:26 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
hey guys....question time. I bought a plug n play radian and an AR400 receiver. I pugged in all the servo leads and the ESC into the throttle slot. inserted the bind plug into the BATT/BIND slot. plugged in the battery, and the receiver flashed away. i had already created a model for the radian on my DX6i so i turned on the tx while holding the trainer switch over to bind. flashing in the rx stops, becomes steady...its bound right? unplug the bind plug, unplug the battery and replug in the battery....rx has solid light. but now the fun part....i have no servo movement (maybe a twitch)...and the motor doesn't arm.

any ideas? am i doing something wrong??
Andy__L is offline Find More Posts by Andy__L
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:59 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy__L View Post
hey guys....question time. I bought a plug n play radian and an AR400 receiver. I pugged in all the servo leads and the ESC into the throttle slot. inserted the bind plug into the BATT/BIND slot. plugged in the battery, and the receiver flashed away. i had already created a model for the radian on my DX6i so i turned on the tx while holding the trainer switch over to bind. flashing in the rx stops, becomes steady...its bound right? unplug the bind plug, unplug the battery and replug in the battery....rx has solid light. but now the fun part....i have no servo movement (maybe a twitch)...and the motor doesn't arm.

do you have another spectrum receiver to switch with ? I have read a few posts where people have had bad AR400's out of the box or have had brown-outs with it..
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:39 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:

Make sure that your throttle trim tab is centered and that your throttle stick is down to it's lowest position. Now re-bind, or re-check your current bind. Also, I would check all functions prior to removing the bind plug.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:41 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
i did do a rebind. same issue. and if it was just arming that was the issue wouldn't the servo's still all move? not sure what you mean by "check my current" this was tested with a fully charged lipo...

helppppp

edit: read your post too fast...recheck my current BIND....gotcha. done that and rebound...no servos move....nothing. but i do have a steady solid light in the RX
Andy__L is offline Find More Posts by Andy__L
Last edited by Andy__L; Jan 06, 2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: cause i misread your post :)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
i did do a rebind. same issue. and if it was just arming that was the issue wouldn't the servo's still all move? not sure what you mean by "check my current" this was tested with a fully charged lipo...

helppppp

edit: read your post too fast...recheck my current BIND....gotcha. done that and rebound...no servos move....nothing. but i do have a steady solid light in the RX
Just to be sure....go back over everything one more time. Make sure the servo polarities are correct and they are plugged in the correct Rx slot. Like Max says, check throttle trim and be sure the throttle fully in the down position when you bind. See if you have movement before you pull the bind plug. Does the motor go thru the beep cycle?
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
Just to be sure....go back over everything one more time. Make sure the servo polarities are correct and they are plugged in the correct Rx slot. Like Max says, check throttle trim and be sure the throttle fully in the down position when you bind. See if you have movement before you pull the bind plug. Does the motor go thru the beep cycle?
Better yet, just unplug your servos and re-bind. It's not like the servos retain any sort of memory, nor does the rx remember the servo's positions. Re-bind without the servo's plugged into the rx and test your throttle after you get the solid light. I'm banking on your throttle setting, either in your tx, or, your esc needs reprogramming, which is also an easy fix.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:58 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:

I used a AR400 also. I bench bind RXs before install. Use a seperate 4.8v NICD for power (from back in old days). Make sure your servo signal wires are right. Stick a servo in the rx and make sure you can move it. If you get that, then should be good to go. If not, then maybe something is foobar.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:24 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
That's strange Jay. Whenever I go out to the flying field with some of the other guys, the buzzards seem to be attracted to their loud gasers and most times tend to soar away from my Radian, but that's just when I'm out at the flying field. Strange birds they are, indeed!
That is strange, I wouldn't think any birds would be attracted to loud gassers, but I believe you.
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:41 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
This is the same flock of crows that has been around for years and they are no dummies. They sit in trees and watch me carry the plane out into the field and launch it. Whenever an eagle shows up, they gang up on it and chase it out of town, but they keep their distance from my planes.

At one point I was in thermal heaven with them all around and I decided to do a loop. That freaked them and they scattered, but came back when the plane went back to level flight. After about 1/2 hour, the noise suddenly stopped and they split up and were gone. So was the thermal, and the plane drifted down to a peaceful landing on the snow.
Thanks for the crow story, Jovanx. I bet they wouldn't like it when you had the Radian loop. That would be great to soar with an eagle, if your local crow flock would just leave it alone. Ospreys are common where my parents live, next time I visit them I will bring my Radian and hope to soar with an Osprey.

Speaking of traveling, do any of you have any suggestions for transporting a Radian? I don't mean just tossing it into the empty trunk of a car to get to the flying field, I'm fine with that. I mean taking it on holiday, which means either air travel or a long ride in a car packed with other stuff. An advertisement for a StandBox system is often displayed when I visit RC Groups. Have any of you tried this, and if so, would you recommend it?

http://www.espritmodel.com/standbox-...sailplane.aspx

Thanks,

Jay
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:49 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
I used to transport mine in the stock box. I just kept some tape in the box to reinstall the horizontal stab. Worked great, and the box made it through checked luggage with hella "fragile" stickers on it just fine. I have a feeling that with all the airplane pics on the outside, the workers figured it might actually BE fragile.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Jan 07, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:13 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt View Post
I just lost the battery that came with my Radian. I took the Radian on my winter vacation with me, and ended up leaving the battery (and fireproof bag I'd bought for it) behind somewhere along the way.

Since they don't sell Parkzone in my country of residence, how can I go about replacing the battery? Any advice, such as specs-wise? My goal is hopefully no modifications to the body. Performance-wise, I was perfectly happy with the stock battery Parkzone includes with the Radian kit. Basically, I just want to buy a battery and be able to charge it up and use it, with a minimum of hassles. I know I'll probably have to change the connector, but hopefully nothing much beyond that. Looking at batteries though, the array of possible specs is bewildering...

I'm using the DualSky 1300mah 30/60c EX series lipo. Can be charged at 5c and comes with a DC3 connector pre-soldered. Weight 113g.
They also do a 1300mah 20/40c ES series lipo that can be charged at 2c and again comes with DC3 connector pre-soldered. Weight 109g.

Fits perfectly in the battery space and it's giving great performance in flight.

Apparently DualSky is sold in Korea http://www.dualsky.com/infor_list.as...17&id=205#asia
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Last edited by Nam Lemmi; Jan 07, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:23 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
DMT,
To add to what Nam wrote, you can use any 3s (11.1 volt) lipo between 1000-2200mAh, and a minimum of 15C. If I were hunting for a single battery, I'd get something between 1300-1550mAh, and around 25C or above. If I were hunting for multiple batts, I'd get a 1000mAh for days when I just wanted to thermal, a 1500mAh one for thermal/power flights, and a 2200mAh one for days when I want to motor around or fly in strong winds and need extra ballast. Hobbyking has a number of batteries in these ranges. You can also get decent batts on dealextreme.com (just search for "lithium" or "lipo").
Hope that helps,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:28 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
I have also used Gens Ace 1800 20/40c. They can be charged at 5c but come with Deans connectors fitted. Weight is about 141 grams.

They give great flight time about 1-1.5 hours but I thought they made the Radian a little too nose heavy. Though what Josh says is true, the extra weight does help with wind penetration.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Last edited by Nam Lemmi; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Just thought I'd throw in one of my favorite soaring video's, when I first started recording my flights and one of my first experiences of riding huge thermals and soaring with buzzards.
Soaring With Buzzards (9 min 59 sec)