HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:46 AM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt View Post
I just lost the battery that came with my Radian. I took the Radian on my winter vacation with me, and ended up leaving the battery (and fireproof bag I'd bought for it) behind somewhere along the way.

Since they don't sell Parkzone in my country of residence, how can I go about replacing the battery? Any advice, such as specs-wise? My goal is hopefully no modifications to the body. Performance-wise, I was perfectly happy with the stock battery Parkzone includes with the Radian kit. Basically, I just want to buy a battery and be able to charge it up and use it, with a minimum of hassles. I know I'll probably have to change the connector, but hopefully nothing much beyond that. Looking at batteries though, the array of possible specs is bewildering...
The original battery shipped with the Radian, is a 11.1v, 1300mah LiPo with an EC3 connector, same as the connector of the ESC insidde your Radian. You could easily order one through Hobbyking.com, even a 2200mah 11.1v LiPo would work just fine.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:28 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Thanks, Max.

What about "C" rating? I see a number of 3S, 11.1v 1300 mAh batteries, all with various C ratings. I get that higher C gives a higher burst of power (which I don't really need - I never take off full throttle anyways). Do higher C rated batteries have less endurance?

I don't want to lose any endurance, but otherwise my main concern would be that the battery "just fits" size-wise.

I'm not sure what the weight of the original batt is (Parkzone's page doesn't say)
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:43 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
So, it looks like the main reason to get, say, a Turnigy replacement battery (even if it isn't a perfect fit dimensions-wise, is that it costs only ~ $9.00, vs. ~ $24.00 for the Parkzone branded battery. In other words, one is paying close to three times as much for the Parkzone label on the battery. That sounds kind of bad when looked at that way...

Or is there more to it than that?

The other part is that I know the Parkzone batt will fit and work, so paying $15 for peace of mind isn't totally unreasonable to me (this was my first LiPo battery - I'd only used NiCad and NiMh previously).
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
Higher "C" rated batteries don't have less endurance, they just tend to be a tad bit heavier and thicker. The "C", just stands for Capacity. A 20C Lipo can safely be discharged at 20 times that packs capacity. Yes, with any line of Horizon Hobby products, you're pretty much paying for the name, but a name that stands behind it's product 100%. As far as getting an exact fitting battery pack, remember, that not all of the Radians battery compartments are exactly the same. I've even had to put a bit of tape around a battery, or two, so that it fit snuggly inside.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:33 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
That is so cool, what a nice hobby

After a long run of days that weren't great for flying, yesterday's conditions were ideal. The good weather brought many outdoors, including an older couple who were very interested in our hobby. It's nice to have interested and friendly onlookers, the Radian attracts more than most, I think because it's big, quiet, and graceful.

The man was a retired professional photographer who had a DSLR with a big lens. He shot many pictures of the Radian in flight, many during the landing video recorded by my hat camera. You can hear the noises his camera makes as he shoots, and the comments his wife makes as the Radian comes in. If you can't hear her too well this what she says:

"That is so cool, what a nice hobby."
"Have you been doing this for a long time?"
"Smooth landing!"

He asked for my e-mail address so he could share the pictures with us. I expect that many will be very good based on what I saw on his camera's display, I'll post the best of them here.

I only got to fly the Radian a little yesterday, most of time it was being flown by my 11-year-old son, Andrew. He had not flown the Radian much before, so I had him on the buddy box again. I would motor up to altitude and then transfer control to him, he did well enough that when he asked if he could land it I agreed and he landed it nicely twice. Next time out he'll be on the buddy box again and I'll be teaching him how to fly it under power, after he learns that skill he'll be able to solo. The Radian is much trickier to fly under power, at full throttle it wants to climb so steeply that it will loop unless you apply a little down elevator, and even at moderate throttle settings the increased speed makes the rudder and elevator twitchy. Executing a steady climb is probably the hardest skill to learn on this otherwise very docile aircraft.

Andrew had the thrill of circling for several minutes alongside a Red-tailed Hawk, who seemed happy to share its thermal. It was a beautiful sight watching them soar together. Andrew says the Radian is his new favorite, which I can understand completely.

Radian Smooth Landing (0 min 13 sec)
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Add Red-tailed Hawk encounter
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:59 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Higher "C" rated batteries don't have less endurance, they just tend to be a tad bit heavier and thicker. The "C", just stands for Capacity. A 20C Lipo can safely be discharged at 20 times that packs capacity. Yes, with any line of Horizon Hobby products, you're pretty much paying for the name, but a name that stands behind it's product 100%. As far as getting an exact fitting battery pack, remember, that not all of the Radians battery compartments are exactly the same. I've even had to put a bit of tape around a battery, or two, so that it fit snuggly inside.
Thanks for your help, Maximlionalpha -- I'm a lot more comfortable now.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:03 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
After a long run of days that weren't great for flying, yesterday's conditions were ideal. The good weather brought many outdoors, including an older couple who were very interested in our hobby. It's nice to have interested and friendly onlookers, the Radian attracts more than most, I think because it's big, quiet, and graceful.

"That is so cool, what a nice hobby."
"Have you been doing this for a long time?"
"Smooth landing!"

I only got to fly the Radian a little yesterday, most of time it was being flown by my 11-year-old son, Andrew...

Andrew had the thrill of circling for several minutes alongside a Red-tailed Hawk, who seemed happy to share its thermal. It was a beautiful sight watching them soar together. Andrew says the Radian is his new favorite, which I can understand completely.
Great story. I love being up there with a hawk or other large bird. The Radian definitely gets people's notice on landing too. Fun stuff!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
A pleasure, dmt!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help, Maximlionalpha -- I'm a lot more comfortable now.
I have used 3 different brands of 1300 mah batteries in the Radian including the Hobby King and they have all fit well. Higher mah batteries up to 2200 will fit in the bay since they have the same cross-section but are just longer. The problem is you are adding wt that also changes your CG. Smaller ones will fit, too. I have used 850's.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:56 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Quote:
Great story. I love being up there with a hawk or other large bird. The Radian definitely gets people's notice on landing too. Fun stuff!
Thanks! I used to try to fly the Firebird Stratos with the Turkey Vultures, but it doesn't glide as well as the Radian, so it needed about 1/2 throttle to stay with them. The vultures didn't like the motor noise and would leave, but they don't mind the silent Radian at all.
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Thanks! I used to try to fly the Firebird Stratos with the Turkey Vultures, but it doesn't glide as well as the Radian, so it needed about 1/2 throttle to stay with them. The vultures didn't like the motor noise and would leave, but they don't mind the silent Radian at all.
That's strange Jay. Whenever I go out to the flying field with some of the other guys, the buzzards seem to be attracted to their loud gasers and most times tend to soar away from my Radian, but that's just when I'm out at the flying field. Strange birds they are, indeed!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:57 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
That's strange Jay. Whenever I go out to the flying field with some of the other guys, the buzzards seem to be attracted to their loud gasers and most times tend to soar away from my Radian, but that's just when I'm out at the flying field. Strange birds they are, indeed!
A couple of days ago, I hit the best thermal of the winter, (-2 celsius) and shared it with about 20 crows. Whenever there is a thermal, they get really noisy and you can see them circling around. Some are quite low and some are just tiny dots way up high. I grabbed the Radian and joined them for about 1/2 hour of good fun.

This is the same flock of crows that has been around for years and they are no dummies. They sit in trees and watch me carry the plane out into the field and launch it. Whenever an eagle shows up, they gang up on it and chase it out of town, but they keep their distance from my planes.

At one point I was in thermal heaven with them all around and I decided to do a loop. That freaked them and they scattered, but came back when the plane went back to level flight. After about 1/2 hour, the noise suddenly stopped and they split up and were gone. So was the thermal, and the plane drifted down to a peaceful landing on the snow.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
The closest that I've come to flying with the crows, JovanX, is when there were a nesting pair near the park behind my housethis past summer, that came out to chase my plane away from their territory. I recorded it a couple of times with my on-board cam. Quite funny, it was.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:53 PM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
466 Posts
Last flight of my radian?

today I crashed... I lost signal. I'm not sure if it was the transmitter or the battery or something else, I still haven't checked. I was lucky the plane wasn't too high and coming to my direction, because there was a road near. I turned off and on the transmiter but didn't do anything. It started nosing up and down (porpoising?) everytime more violently untill, pluff, just a few meters from where I was it hit the ground. Nose crashed in two different places, I should have reinforced it better (I had a bit of tape under it). Anyway I hope epoxy is ok to glue it back.

edit: I glued it back, looks like it will fly again!
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Last edited by pilottube; Jan 07, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilottube View Post
today I crashed... I lost signal. I'm not sure if it was the transmitter or the battery or something else, I still haven't checked. I was lucky the plane wasn't too high and coming to my direction, because there was a road near. I turned off and on the transmiter but didn't do anything. It started nosing up and down (porpoising?) everytime more violently untill, pluff, just a few meters from where I was it hit the ground. Nose crashed in two different places, I should have reinforced it better (I had a bit of tape under it). Anyway I hope epoxy is ok to glue it back.
I also have a video but I put the camera in my pocket the moment I realised the plane wasn't responding
Before trying to epoxy it back together, use hot water to swell the foam back into it's original shape(or at least close to it), then epoxy everything back together.